Rank

Motherboard - Asus A7A266
Processor - athlon 1.2g
ram - 512 ddr
video - geforce 2 gts, 64m ddr
Sound - Aopen AW840(C-media CMI-8738)
os - win2k sp3/win98
game - TIE Fighter, X-wing(dos versions) Dark Forces

yes i know the sound cards crap... and if it doesn't watch it, its going to end up in the same bushes over the road from my house as my vibra did.

my problem is that when i set midi in xw and tf to OP-4 FM, the midi sounds crap, but the wave sound is perfect

when i set the midi to "general midi" the midi is perfect, but the sound, and it seems to be soley the digital sound(ie voices) gets sped up, not to chipmunk speed but getting close...

everything else in the game is at normal speed though

its the same thing for both xw and tf

in dark forces, OP-4 gives crappy midi again, but it won't even let me select general midi... (crashes, dos crash that is, dos window locks up) but i've had this for a while for df, some midi options don't play anything, others crash. yeah i dunno why it won't let me use general midi... its on port 330, same as all the other games

one last thing is that i'm not sure whether my descent is running at the right speed.... its not super fast like Sopwith, but the ship does seem to be bobbing up and down rather fast, although gameplay seems right.

moslow and speedset have no effect on it

oh yeah, vdm 2.0.4 update 1 or 2 or something
thanks for any help 😒

Reply 1 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small note: OPL3 ("FM 4-OP") should be available soon (a week or two, currently in testing). This still doesn't explain why the game behaves so strangely when set to MIDI, but at the wrost the FM will sound a bit less crappy.

Also search for the game on the forum and see if it listed in the compat. DB (~vladr).

Cheers,
V.

Reply 2 of 4, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If a game's sound setup refers to "OPL4", this is different. MAME emulates this too, although FM is not emulated. My understanding is that it is quite similar to OPL3 FM anyhow.

Reply 4 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"FM 4-OP" means 4-operator FM synthesis. That's OPL3.
V.

Schadenfreude wrote:

If a game's sound setup refers to "OPL4", this is different. MAME emulates this too, although FM is not emulated. My understanding is that it is quite similar to OPL3 FM anyhow.