VOGONS

First post, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HELP ME!

I have a weird problem with VDMSound on any games I try. Each time I select "Run with VDMSound", I get this error message:

16-bits MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\Documents and Settings\[My name]\Local Settings\Temp\~VLP****.PIF
C:\Documents and Settings\[My name]\Local Settings\Temp\~VLP****.NT
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
[Close] [Ignore]
Clicking on "Ignore" does the same thing as "Close".

What can I do? I can't get sound in any games! Please help! 😢

I'm using Windows XP Home SP2

Reply 1 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your config.nt\autoexec.nt\ntvdm.exe files were probably corrupted.

You need to copy them from the original CD to \windows\system32

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C:\WINDOWS\repair

copy the files from there into your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should I copy all the files in the Repair folder or only Config.nt and Autoexec.nt? Because if it's only these two ones, it still doesn't work. I have even taken "ntvdm.ex_" from the CD (renamed to "ntvdm.exe") and put it in the System32 folder and it still doesn't work. Should I take "ntvdm.dl_" too? 😢

I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Reply 5 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did expand all the mentioned files from the original CD to the System32 folder: Still doesn't work.

Even taken the files from Repair folder: Still doesn't work.

Reply 6 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What version of VDMS are you using? If all else fails, use DOSBox. This should be your first choice, anymore.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using VDMSound 2.1.0.

As for Dosbox, the problem is that I wanna play the first Tomb Raider using "Tomb Raider Advanced Installer" that improves the graphics with dgvoodoo. I can't use Dosbox in my case.

Help!

Reply 8 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read this thread: 16-bit subsystem error "Your system is not suitable for running 16-bit apps"

Also how does Dgvoodoo improve the graphics? AFAIK, "all" it does is allow the glide version of TR to work. Is there such a big difference between the VESA and Glide versions of TR?

The only major difference AFAIK is that the Glide version's textures can be replaced if your using GliDOS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 16, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does you username contain funny characters (non-ASCII?) I refer to C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\...

If so, it might be the explanation.

Reply 11 of 16, by Lord_VEK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder, how can non-ASCII characters influence the matter?

I've got the same problem, the same error messages(and the same VDMSound version). And the config/autoexec files were NOT corrupted, nothing that there shouldn't be. Then I followed MS's advice after reading http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
No result still =(

OS- XP Pro. Game wanted to run - M.A.X. Actually it works under DOSbox BUT! No sound! The setup autodetects SoundBlaster or GUS emulated by DOSbox, but the game itself has no sound!

Reply 14 of 16, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so it won't work - limitation in windows' pif IIRC

one possible workaround is to set the TEMP user environment variable to a directory where you have access but whose path is made out of ASCII characters (e.g. c:\windows\temp if you are admin)

V.