VOGONS

Discworld2 & XP

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've read all the thread on this and I really don't understand.

I Have bought Discworld 2 "Missing Presumed" and I want to run it on Win XP.

could anyone tell me how to do this? Simply?

thankyou

Reply 1 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the "quick search" box near the top of the page.

Two entries I found right away...

showthread.php?threadid=218&highlight=Discworld

showthread.php?threadid=1463&highlight=Discworld

Reply 3 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered It's not to do with sound though,

Well there was some discussion on installation, but wasn't very useful.

im sorry, but id really like a simple explanation of how to get it working

Well "simple" may not be an option. It all depends on how the programmer coded the game.

Were you able to at least install the game? Make sure you install it to C: as the programmers apparently presume that's where it will go.

Reply 5 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm playing it right now, so I know it works under XP, but there's a glitch to it. You won't believe but windows version doesn't work because it uses some strange DX 3.x calls which WinXP doesn't seem to support anymore. So, the solution is to run the DOS version inside XP. Fun, isn't it?. It will even work with music & sound.

Reply 6 of 23, by rincewind?

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks, but nothing seems to work

sorry if i say anything dumb, but im not used to XP, this is my girlfriends game/PC

if i try to run the install file on the discworld cd through XPs "command prompt", i get a "....superVGA card detected!" error

the windows version just blinks back to the desktop, with no error message

i have downloaded vdmsound and launchpad and update 1.0

any help would be much appreciated

PS: one of the other posts on this subject had a solution involving a bit of game hacking by "transferring files via a batch file" and i have no idea what thats about.

cheers

2.5ghz p4
256mb ram
game : discworld 2 : missing presumed.....?

Reply 7 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to place a VBEPLUS statement inside the DW2.BAT file. This will call VBEPLUS a very very nice VESA replacement...

http://unirefresh.demonews.com

This is the address. It if doesn't work I can send VBEPLUS + another nifty vesa util to you. It weights just 10KB
Here...

Attachments

• Filename
    vbeutils.rar
    File size
    10.2 KiB
    Downloads
    1386 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by rincewind? if i try to run the install file on the discworld cd through XPs "command prompt", i get a "....superVGA card detected!" error

Ok, so you haven't been able to install it yet.

PS: one of the other posts on this subject had a solution involving a bit of game hacking by "transferring files via a batch file" and i have no idea what thats about.

By using a batch file, it allows you to install the program while bypassing the VESA check that causes the install to fail.

I've attached his script as a batch file that you can try yourself.
Note that you may have to change the SOURCE and DESTINATION locations to match your system. For example, if your CD-ROM drive has the letter D:, you would need to change the E: in the script to D:.

You can download the DISC.TXT file here, make what changes are needed, then rename it to DISC.BAT and run it.

Attachments

• Filename
    disc.txt
    File size
    699 Bytes
    Downloads
    22014 downloads
    File license

Reply 9 of 23, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:
You need to place a VBEPLUS statement inside the DW2.BAT file. This will call VBEPLUS a very very nice VESA replacement... […]
Show full quote

You need to place a VBEPLUS statement inside the DW2.BAT file. This will call VBEPLUS a very very nice VESA replacement...

http://unirefresh.demonews.com

This is the address. It if doesn't work I can send VBEPLUS + another nifty vesa util to you. It weights just 10KB
Here...

And this works in Windows XP? Strange... Really?

Reply 11 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ooops! Forgot to mention ONE IMPORTANT THING:
This game issues a call to UVCONFIG.EXE whether you like it or not and may be reporting bad VESA support. So I just created an exe file with Turbo Pascal that does just nothing. Renamed it to UVCONFIG.EXE and Vòila!.

This is my "modified" UVCONFIG.EXE. Put it in your Discworld 2 folder, but remember to enable some sort of VESA support first (in the bat file).

Attachments

• Filename
    uvconfig.exe
    File size
    1.59 KiB
    Downloads
    3309 downloads
    File license

Reply 12 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR
This game issues a call to UVCONFIG.EXE whether you like it or not and may be reporting bad VESA support. So I just created an exe file with Turbo Pascal that does just nothing. Renamed it to UVCONFIG.EXE and Vòila!.

This seems so straight-forward a solution I'm surprised to hear of it actually working.

If I'm understanding this correctly; the game makes a call to UVCONFIG, and so long as it receives nothing back, it presumes everything is Ok and proceeds?

If that is the case, and these other UNIVBE titles do the same, this may be the ticket to getting them to work as well.

Reply 13 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can think of only three ways that a result could be returned from UVCONFIG.EXE:

1. A return/exit/error code. This is the most likely method. I don't know what code Turbo Pascal generates or if you can specify it, but I guess it's doing The Right Thing(TM) in this case. In C/C++ you can specify it (the error code is the return value of main(), or you can pass it as a parameter to the exit() function)

2. Generating a file. UVCONFIG could put its results in a file if it needs to send something more complicated than a single value. In this case I suppose that the absence of that file would cause The Right Thing to happen.

3. Generating an interrupt. It's possible that whoever calls UVCONFIG is setting up an interrupt handler (a piece of code that can be triggered to temporarily take over the CPU no matter what program is running, unless interrupts are disabled). Then, UVCONFIG could load into the CPU registers the values it wants to pass. It then triggers the interrupt, which stores the register values somewhere where the original program can get to them. This method is not very likely due to its complexity. If it is happening, though, then I guess whoever called UVCONFIG does The Right Thing if the interrupt never occurs.

Reply 14 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only reason I am using this approach is that UVCONFIG no longer detects newer video cards and I got a 'Compatible VESA card not found' error message or something like that. Just because my GF4 has bios built-in VESA support, just ignoring UVCONFIG, will allow this game to work, because VESA is Present.
I think this would work with those games that are trying to access VESA through Scitech's UNIVBE but DO NOT SPECIFICALLY REQUIRE IT as VESA supplier.

Reply 15 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR The only reason I am using this approach is that UVCONFIG no longer detects newer video cards and I got a 'Compatible VESA card not found' error message or something like that.

Right. This became something of a topic when NOLFB.COM was released. Rather than being a cure-all, it caused different behavior based on what video card you were running, IE:

GeForce3 - enabled NOLFB VESA up to 1600x1200
GeForce4 - enabled NOLFB VESA up to 640x480

Also, we noticed that some ATI video cards didn't need it, whereas GeForce cards usually did. The whole VESA/SVGA/NT/2000/XP discussion has been a real oddity.

I think this would work with those games that are trying to access VESA through Scitech's UNIVBE but DO NOT SPECIFICALLY REQUIRE IT as VESA supplier.

That's probably going to be the case. Hopefully, there are very few (or none) of those.

Reply 16 of 23, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

el_Pusher:

Instead of your approach, could you try this approach here:
showthread.php?s=&postid=11974#post11974
Explanation:
showthread.php?s=&postid=12003#post12003

At least steps 1,2, and 3.

[EDIT]
AHa.
Actually, the HOTU version seems to use Rob's hack.

Idea for another list:
If game uses VESA/UNIVBE, how to try to get it working in XP. Something to sum up all of our workarounds, discoveries, etc.

Reply 18 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(NOTE TO ADMINISTRATORS)

Please, would you mind to change this thread's title to Discworld 2 & XP?, because we are discussing Discworld 2: Missing presumed... here, not the first one.

Reply 19 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thread title modified and moved to VDMSound General because
A) It's at least related to VDMSound and...
B) ...it's back in a forum that allows for Unregistered people to post.

Having said that, was the Unregistered person who started this thread able to get their game running yet?