VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I installed VDMSound and tried my Eye Of The Beholder 3 but the game still doesn't give me any sound at all :'(

I run windows XP and have a Sound Blaster Live Player card

Anyone know what could be up ?
Tnx!

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I installed VDMSound and tried my Eye Of The Beholder 3 but the game still doesn't give me any sound at all

How did you configure your game's audio settings?

Reply 6 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

The only one it "accepts" in the config is either Soundblaster 16/pro or PC Speaker, if I choose 16/pro I don't get any sound but the game starts (without VDMSound), if I choose pc speaker, the pc speaker works but of course sounds horrible...

The previous 2 eye's I played with VDMSound and they worked perfect (also on xp), so I happely transferred my party that I started with in one, and then two into three and to my horror whatever I do, no sound .. If I choose VDMSound (using the intigrated shell option on the file Eye.bat) I get a corrupt screen with just colored vertical lines ..

I *think* it is because I use the intigrated shell feature for VDMSound on a bat file that just does the following :

@echo off
aesop eye start

But if I use it on "aesop.exe" that exe expects a parameter (wich is the start obvious)

I tried looking at the properties of the exe and adding -start to the execute path and then launching the exe with VDMSound but it till refuses to do anything if I do not use the bat file..

Reply 7 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

UPDATE : If I choose Adlib for music, I have music ... but I can't seem to get any sound effects.. and I can't choose Adlib for sound effects.. if I use the 16/pro for sound effects I get the horizontal lines ...

also on startup when not using VDMSopund I get the mesage :

"At least 983040 bytes of free EMS memory is required for sound effects. Digitized sound effects will not be available."

How do I get more EMS memory ?

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered "At least 983040 bytes of free EMS memory is required for sound effects. Digitized sound effects will not be available."

How do I get more EMS memory ?

I think you've hit upon a real problem. Go to your VLP shortcut, click Advanced, click on the Compatibility Tab, then disable DPMI Support. Hopefully that will free up enough memory to create an EMS memory block.

If not, create a file named GO.BAT in your game's directory and edit it to contain the single command:

MEM /C >VDMSMEM.TXT

then run it with VDMSound (right-click and choose Run with VDMS), it should create a text file called VDMSMEM.TXT and report something like the following:

Conventional Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
MSDOS 13184 ( 12.9K) 3380
KBD 3296 ( 3.2K) CE0
EMM 176 ( 0.2K) B0
HIMEM 1248 ( 1.2K) 4E0
COMMAND 3152 ( 3.1K) C50
FREE 112 ( 0.1K) 70
FREE 633984 (619.1K) 9AC80

Total FREE : 634096 (619.2K)

Upper Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
SYSTEM 180208 (176.0K) 2BFF0
MOUSE 12528 ( 12.2K) 30F0
DOSX 34720 ( 33.9K) 87A0
FREE 256 ( 0.3K) 100
FREE 34336 ( 33.5K) 8620

Total FREE : 34592 ( 33.8K)

Total bytes available to programs (Conventional+Upper) : 668688 (653.0K)
Largest executable program size : 633712 (618.9K)
Largest available upper memory block : 34336 ( 33.5K)

4194304 bytes total EMS memory
4194304 bytes free EMS memory

20971520 bytes total contiguous extended memory
0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
16628736 bytes available XMS memory
MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area

Paste your results here. You might end up having to shut off some motherboard devices into order to create more "Upper Memory".

FWIW, you can probably get around the EMS issue by simply using DosBox. I have no idea if your processor is powerful enough as you haven't identified it. Be sure and read the README file that comes with it.