VOGONS

First post, by terenceboy2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Please help.
Everytime I run Monkey Island and Loom with VDMS, I get an error msg saying that CD Rom is missing or MSCDEX is missing. But if I run it without VDMS, it has no sound at all. Any advice?

I am running WinXP Pro on a laptop. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 5, by terenceboy

User metadata

Hi

I downloaded Launcher and did as was suggested, which is to enable the low level cd support. I didn't get the error msg, but I still don't get any sounds at all.

I tried downloading the SAPUCDEX but I don't seem to know how to use it. Can anyone advise what I can do next?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 5, by terenceboy

User metadata

Hi

I downloaded Launcher and did as was suggested, which is to enable the low level cd support. I didn't get the error msg, but I still don't get any sounds at all.

I tried downloading the SAPUCDEX but I don't seem to know how to use it. Can anyone advise what I can do next?

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To use it you must put a command-line in the autoexec.bat section of VDMSound properties sheet for that particular game. But you have to disable mscdex support first. The two of them cannot be running at the same time.

Reply 5 of 5, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
terenceboy wrote:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

Thanks.

Before you try SAPUCDEX, make sure that you can play audio CDs using Media Player of some other CD-player software.

If this works ok, then take a look at the properties for you CD-ROM drive: go to Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, click on Device Manager, locate your CD-ROM drive under DVD/CD-ROM Drives, right-click on it and select Properties.
In the Properties tab there is a setting called "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM drive". From a previous reports in other threads, in some computers you have to enable this to get music played from game CDs, in others (like mine) you have to turn it off, so change it and try to play your game again.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1