VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

i'm trying to run daggerfall with VDMsound and Turbo (i have a very fast pc so needs slowing down). Daggerfall runs fine until the intro movies are finished and the game asks if i want to use the tutorial, after that it crashes to desktop.
I can run daggerfall without vdmsound it just runs crappily
Ive tried w/out turbo - no luck

anyone got any ideas?
i have an athlon XP 2700
gigabyte nforce2 mboard
geforce ti4800
1gb ram

Reply 1 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered i'm trying to run daggerfall with VDMsound and Turbo

*gah*
This one again...
showthread.php?threadid=950&highlight=daggerfall
showthread.php?threadid=1350&highlight=daggerfall
showthread.php?threadid=1446&highlight=daggerfall
showthread.php?threadid=1446&highlight=daggerfall
showthread.php?threadid=1515&highlight=daggerfall
showthread.php?threadid=753&highlight=daggerfall
showthread.php?threadid=1772&highlight=daggerfall
showthread.php?threadid=1799&highlight=daggerfall

Nobody ever picks the easy ones...Of course we did have one person claiming almost perfect operation, but since they never gave any details, its considered a dubious post.

Just about every avenue of possible solution has major problems:

Native Operation in 2000 or XP: In-game bugs, speed-sensitive problems, "Hates NT".

Native Operation in 2000 or XP with "SlowDown" tool: same as above except replace speed sensitive problems with problems running the computer in general due to the slowdown tool.

Running in "VMware" or "Virtual PC" emulation (w/DOS or Win9x): Fixes the "Hates NT" problem, still has In-game bugs, and speed-sensitive problems.

DosBox : can't run it yet. Sense it requires "protected-mode" AND 486 support, it may be a long wait. The system requirements to run it will probably pretty high. Long-term, this is the best hope...but it's going to be a while.

Ironically, it requires a fairly quick 486 (so DosBox is out as a solution)...but can't handle a fast Pentium (so running it without emulation is no good either). The worst of both worlds.