VOGONS

discworld 1

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

iv'e been having some problems with running discworld 1 under vdms.
i can't even start the game, when i start it with vdms, a error message comes up: "discworld can't find english.idx"
but if i start the game without sound it works...
is it a vdms problem or a game problem?

-thanks

Reply 3 of 11, by Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am on Windows 2000 pro, and I am running VDMS 2.0.4 with the Lunchpad thing also.

When I try and run Discworld, i get the message, "Discworld cannot locate the Discworld CD".

The CD is in the dive, and is spinning happily.

the game is installed to: D:\DISCWLD.CD

and the CD is in: V drive. The game is the CD version which I bought shortly before they stopped selling the game.

Reply 4 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Wilco I am on Windows 2000 pro, and I am running VDMS 2.0.4 with the Lunchpad thing also.

When I try and run Discworld, i get the message, "Discworld cannot locate the Discworld CD".

Have you enabled "low-level" CD-ROM support on your game's VLP shortcut?

Reply 6 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Wilco It now runs ok, but I am still getting no sound.

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you patched up to v1.04 and are you matching the game's sound settings with those of VDMSound? Address of 220, IRQ=7, DMA=1 (for 8Bit sound), High DMA=5 (for 16Bit sound).

Reply 7 of 11, by Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

at the risk of sounding stupid- possibly not.

I am downloading the patch to discworld now. I am not sure how you set up the games settings to those of VDMSound.

on the soundblaster tab... its set up like you said "IRQ=7, DMA=1 (for 8Bit sound), High DMA=5 (for 16Bit sound)."

"Address of 220?" if you mean the base port then it is: 0x220

Reply 8 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Wilco I am downloading the patch to discworld now.

Apparently only the first CD version was really buggy:
http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/faqs/discworld-game-faq.g.html

I am not sure how you set up the games settings to those of VDMSound.

Uh-oh.

on the soundblaster tab... its set up like you said "IRQ=7, DMA=1 (for 8Bit sound), High DMA=5 (for 16Bit sound)."

No, I'm referring to the game's sound settings. There should be an INSTALL or SETUP program to choose your audio settings.

Reply 9 of 11, by Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is, its called SETSOUND.exe

you can select and configure what MIDI music driver, and digital audio driver you want. However, no matter what midi driver I choose, it says:
--------
ERROR
XMIDI sound hardware not found
Check driver type and configuration
--------
However, my pc does play midi files.

As for the digital audio driver set up, there is even less luck there

Reply 10 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Wilco There is, its called SETSOUND.exe you can select and configure what MIDI music driver, and digital a […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Wilco There is, its called SETSOUND.exe

you can select and configure what MIDI music driver, and digital audio driver you want. However, no matter what midi driver I choose, it says:
--------
ERROR
XMIDI sound hardware not found
Check driver type and configuration
--------

Are you running it with VDMSound? If not, it will never find anything. Remember, in Windows 2000, direct access to hardware (almost always) is forbidden. In DOS programs always went straight to the hardware, for NT-based operating systems, the program must go through the OS to "talk" to the hardware. VDMSound emulates older SoundBlaster cards using your present sound system and run the DOS audio data through your OS "legally".