VOGONS

First post, by vorlons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I came here via dosbox which I thought would solve my problem but it seems VDM sound is more appropriate for me as although I get no sound, the game itself appears to work ok in XP via the wc3.exe.

So I have read a couple of posts on WC3 and installed VDMsound & launchpad from the main site. now when I launch WC3 with VDM I get an error message saying that I have a faulty CD and see Orign for a replacement. now its fair to say that the CD works ok when not using VDM so can anyone help as to why I get this error and how to solve it, I untick the save settings in VDM as I run from CD.

Thanks

vorlons

Reply 1 of 10, by vorlons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok Ive solved my sound problem with a batch file adding SAPUCDEX in the autoexec.bat also the set up data saves ok .

New problem, before the sound was added the mouse worked fine in the game screens, now its wobbling all over and when I install a joypad fix from a WC3 site the cursor just disappears.

Im using a PSX2 joypad via USB and a standard mouse.

What do I need to get this working.

Reply 2 of 10, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm playing WC3 under Windows XP with VMDS 2.0.4 Update 2 and it's just fine. How did you set sound in the game? I'm using MPU-401 for the music and SoundBlaster AWE for the sound effects, and it's working ok.

I'm also using a SideWinder joystick and the alternate joystick library downloaded from Wing Commander CIC. Could this be something specific to your joypad? Have you tried to play the game with the keyboard only?

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vorlons Im using a PSX2 joypad via USB and a standard mouse.

I remember Vex had massive problems with his VDMSound due to his PSX-controller program that was running...just a thought.
showthread.php?threadid=640&perpage=20&highli … on&pagenumber=4

Reply 4 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

btw, the Kilrathi-Saga version of Wing Commnder 3 works great in XP. Although it is a windows program one shouldn'T set the compatibilty mode for it, though.
Sorry, not really related to the problem here...

Reply 6 of 10, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have different problems with WC 3. My problem is with the video. Everything seems to run fine (in both WIndows and DOSBOX) except that my CD ROM reads the videos too fast and the videos are more or less skipped over. Anyone else having this problem?

Reply 7 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me, everything goes to pot when I invoke VDMSound's vesa driver for Wing Commander IV or Warcraft 2. This is very anoying because running in on svga mode in WCIV, the game runs smooooth and perfect. But vdm's svga.. heh, it's unusable at the speed it runs. Even the speed test was slow.

This isn't limited to newer-age games as well. Even using vesa mode for Sim City 2000 makes it run slightly poorer than it should. And the midi rate almost dies. Funny though. The midi is very slow in SC2k and WC2, but fine in WCIV. Ideas?

Reply 8 of 10, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote:

For me, everything goes to pot when I invoke VDMSound's vesa driver for Wing Commander IV or Warcraft 2.

Kahenraz, for Wing Commander IV you should really try the Windows 95 upgrade. Look for it in http://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wc4. Although I was able to play the original WC4 under VDMSound, there were still some ocasional glitches. Using the Windows version I played the game through the end.

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10 of 10, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, you ticked the "Basic VESA support" checkbox? All that does is start the game in fulls-creen, it's Windows that always takes care of VESA (by letting the game "pass-through" to the BIOS). The difference is that a bug in XP causes slowdowns when this "automatic start in full-screen" is enabled as oppsoed to manually going full-screen by pressing Alt+Enter as the game starts. Try that (press ALt+Enter as it starts) instead of "Basic VESA support".

V.