VOGONS

Rise and Decline of the Third Reich

Topic actions

First post, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to be on a bit of roll with old games lately. I go out and upgrade my system so its almost top of the line and state of the art and I find, much to my dismay, that all I want to play, or all I can afford now that I've spent all my money on hardware, is old games that don't work on my new hardware.

Anyway, I tried to run the demo of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich by Avalon Hill and it won't load. It tells me that I don't have an extended memory manager loaded. I am using VDMSound (I was looking to post this on the new VDMS board but I couldn't find it - maybe it isn't up and running yet?).

I have all the appropriate memory settings enabled. There is a heck of alot more extended memory available than the game needs but for some reason it won't load because it doesn't detect a memory manager. Any ideas?

Setting up a dual boot right now isn't an option, so unless I can get the game working in Win XP without having to spend any money, I won't be able to play it.

Thanks again, (sick of me yet? 😀 )

Reply 1 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(I was looking to post this on the new VDMS board but I couldn't find it - maybe it isn't up and running yet?)

VOGONS -> Magrathea -> VDMSound -> General

But I'll move it for you... 😀

Stiletto

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 32, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Llewen wrote:

"There is no EMS driver installed! At least 1280K of EMS memory is required!"

Make a file called "showmem.bat".
Inside, only put this line:

mem /c | more

...then "Run with VDMS" the showmem.bat file or, if using Launchpad, you can also drag-n-drop it over the game's VDMSound shortcut to run it with the exact same settings as the game.

Paste the result in here, please.

V.

Reply 5 of 32, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladr wrote:
Make a file called "showmem.bat". Inside, only put this line: […]
Show full quote

Make a file called "showmem.bat".
Inside, only put this line:

mem /c | more

...then "Run with VDMS" the showmem.bat file or, if using Launchpad, you can also drag-n-drop it over the game's VDMSound shortcut to run it with the exact same settings as the game.

Paste the result in here, please.

V.

20971520 bytes total contiguous extended memory
0 bytes total available contiguous extended memory
16628736 bytes available XMS memory
MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area

This is the summary. There was a ton of other information but I don't know how to cut and paste from a DOS window and I wasn't about to copy the whole thing by hand. At any rate the reason for the problem seems to be clear. Who knows, this could be the same problem that mucked up X-Com Apocalypse.

Reply 7 of 32, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

To copy/paste from a DOS shell you need to run it in a window. Then, click and DRAG across what you want to be copied, and right-click.

Actually you have to choose mark from the "edit" option on the menu that pops up when you right click on the title bar for the window. Regardless, here it is.

Conventional Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
MSDOS 12256 ( 12.0K) 2FE0
KBD 3296 ( 3.2K) CE0
HIMEM 1248 ( 1.2K) 4E0
COMMAND 3168 ( 3.1K) C60
DOSX 34720 ( 33.9K) 87A0
FREE 112 ( 0.1K) 70
FREE 600352 (586.3K) 92920

Total FREE : 600464 (586.4K)

Upper Memory :

SYSTEM 221168 (216.0K) 35FF0
MOUSE 12528 ( 12.2K) 30F0
FREE 28384 ( 27.7K) 6EE0

Total FREE : 28384 ( 27.7K)

Total bytes available to programs (Conventional+Upper) : 628848 (614.1K)
Largest executable program size : 600080 (586.0K)
Largest available upper memory block : 28384 ( 27.7K)

0 bytes available contiguous extended memory

Reply 8 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like you don't have the EMS driver installed.

Are you using the VDMSound GUI? If you were and you used the shortcut with the little music icon then the EMS driver would already be installed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 32, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Looks like you don't have the EMS driver installed.

Are you using the VDMSound GUI? If you were and you used the shortcut with the little music icon then the EMS driver would already be installed.

This is what is confusing me. I am using the VDMSound GUI. I also have all the DOS memory options checked off as per the FAQ on the VDMSound website.

Reply 10 of 32, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Llewen wrote:

This is what is confusing me. I am using the VDMSound GUI. I also have all the DOS memory options checked off as per the FAQ on the VDMSound website.

OK, first strat with the default VDMSound settings (i.e. delete any VDMSound shortcuts, do "Run with VDMS" with the LaunchPad so thet you get the Wizard, choose "default settings", and that's it). The default settinsg give you EMS. Now, if the game does not work with the default settings then repeat the "showmem" exercise above (since then there may be a problem with EMS on your computer). If everything is fine, though, default settings should run the game just fine.

Where in the FAQ is there a mention of checkboxes? If there is such a mention I'd like to take it off.

Reply 11 of 32, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where in the FAQ is there a mention of checkboxes? If there is such a mention I'd like to take it off.

Its in the FAQ for (I believe) the earliest version of VDMS. There's a picture of the proper memory settings for the pif. I will set them on default and see if that helps the situation. Maybe that was the problem with X-Com Apocalypse (although I'm not optimistic on that score).

Reply 12 of 32, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladr wrote:

OK, first strat with the default VDMSound settings (i.e. delete any VDMSound shortcuts, do "Run with VDMS" with the LaunchPad so thet you get the Wizard, choose "default settings", and that's it). The default settinsg give you EMS. Now, if the game does not work with the default settings then repeat the "showmem" exercise above (since then there may be a problem with EMS on your computer). If everything is fine, though, default settings should run the game just fine.

Tried everything you said, same result. Here's the cut and paste of the showmem.

VDMSound DOS loader, version 2.01 (Aug 04 2001)
Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Vlad ROMASCANU.

VDMSound is covered by the GNU Public License (GPL), version 2 or later, as
published by the Free Software Foundation, Inc. ([url]http://www.fsf.org/[/url]).

Loading 'VDDLoader.dll'...

E:\TRAY\INSTALL>mem /c | more

Conventional Memory :

MSDOS 12256 ( 12.0K) 2FE0
KBD 3296 ( 3.2K) CE0
HIMEM 1248 ( 1.2K) 4E0
COMMAND 3168 ( 3.1K) C60
DOSX 34720 ( 33.9K) 87A0
FREE 112 ( 0.1K) 70
FREE 600352 (586.3K) 92920

Total FREE : 600464 (586.4K)

Upper Memory :

SYSTEM 221168 (216.0K) 35FF0
MOUSE 12528 ( 12.2K) 30F0
FREE 28384 ( 27.7K) 6EE0

Total FREE : 28384 ( 27.7K)

Total bytes available to programs (Conventional+Upper) : 628848 (614.1K)
Largest executable program size : 600080 (586.0K)
Largest available upper memory block : 28384 ( 27.7K)

0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
Last edited by Llewen on 2002-07-14, 22:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 32, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Llewen wrote:

Tried everything you said, same result. Here's the cut and paste of the showmem.

This (i.e. no mention of EXPANDED/EMS memory), unfortunately, means that your system has a problem. In the past it has been observed that systems that have "bootable" cards (such as more intelligent SCSI cards, or even potentially some network cards) interfere with WIndows' DOS emulation and Windows is unable to provide EMS no mater what EMS options are given to it. The only way of working around this is to disable the "boot" option from the card in question (if possible disable it physically, with jumpers on the board, or move the card to another computer).

This is a Microsoft limitation/bug.

V.

Reply 14 of 32, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladr wrote:

This (i.e. no mention of EXPANDED/EMS memory), unfortunately, means that your system has a problem. In the past it has been observed that systems that have "bootable" cards (such as more intelligent SCSI cards, or even potentially some network cards) interfere with WIndows' DOS emulation and Windows is unable to provide EMS no mater what EMS options are given to it. The only way of working around this is to disable the "boot" option from the card in question (if possible disable it physically, with jumpers on the board, or move the card to another computer).

This is a Microsoft limitation/bug.

V.

So I can't run DOS programs that require ems because my hard drives are connected to my on-board Promise controller?!?! Unbelievable! So my options are, live without DOS programs, or stop using my Promise controller? Not your fault at all, but this pisses me off.

Reply 15 of 32, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you own a legal copy of Windows the I strongly suggest that you complain to MS. This is the only way that it will ever (if ever) be fixed. In the meantime please try DosBox at http://dosbox.cjb.net/

V.

Reply 18 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is weird beyond belief.

As I suggested on the X-men post, I believe, try updating your controller's firmware. Or, alternatively, get a motherboard with a built-in RAID controller, like the K7T266-Pro RU2 by Microstar. (I love this motherboard. It was a bitch to set up the RAID and Windows 2000 and stuff - - I ended up reformatting three times before getting it right) but it's worked like a dream.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 32, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

That is weird beyond belief.

As I suggested on the X-men post, I believe, try updating your controller's firmware. Or, alternatively, get a motherboard with a built-in RAID controller, like the K7T266-Pro RU2 by Microstar. (I love this motherboard. It was a bitch to set up the RAID and Windows 2000 and stuff - - I ended up reformatting three times before getting it right) but it's worked like a dream.

As I stated on the X-Com 😀 thread, I have all the latest drivers for my hardware, including the controller. The controller is actually an integrated Promise RAID controller in Ultra 100 mode. I have two hard drives but they aren't identical, so RAID really isn't an option.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had to reformat and re-install more than once to get things right 😀. Seems to me that I have done that about three times myself. Until I ran into the DOS brick wall, I was also pretty happy with my motherboard and my set up in general.

At any rate I have fired off help requests/complaints to both Soyo and to Microsoft. I'm not optimistic, but maybe they will be able to provide a solution to the problem.