VOGONS

First post, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All!
I've got problems to get WC3 working with VDMS (or better: working corectly at all) under Win XP. The Installation went well, sound worked great and even Joystick was detected (Ok, a bit buggy, but already know, that I need the patch afterwards) Anyway, now, when I start WC3 via VDMS, I get this error:

Open failed on file: ..\..\DATA\SOUND\GFSAMPLE.IFF […]
Show full quote

Open failed on file: ..\..\DATA\SOUND\GFSAMPLE.IFF

This error is probably the result of a bad CD-ROM read.
Please try running the game again from your latest save
game and the problem should go away. If the problem
persists, you may have a bad CD. If you continue to have trouble,
please call Origin Customer Service for more information

Press any key to continue . . .

Now the strange thing is, it works under DOSBox (way too slow, of course, but it works) and my CDs work great on my DOS PC. But cause I've read here, that WC3 should work with VDMS, I wonder what is going wrong? It can't be the CDs as said above - btw, already tried to use virtual ones.
Oh, here is my full Setup:
Shuttle SB51G Barebone
PIV 3.066GHz
1GB DDR 333MHz
R9700 Pro
Plantronics DSP-500 HS (incl. sound, USB)
MS Precision Pro (USB)

Also tried it with my other rig:
Abit IC7
PIV 3.2GHz
R9800 Pro
1GB DDR 400Mhz
Audigy
no Joystick ( 😒 )

Both have got the exact same problem. Some more Info: It's a German WC3 version that came in the EA Classic Box. Don't know, but maybe this helps a bit more, cause most people seem to have no problem getting WC3 to work with VDMS.

Thx for any help 😀

P.S.: I'll be on holidays this weekend, so don't wonder, if I don't reply till Monday. 😉 - I hope I gave enough info already, though.

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

These are my WC3 launch pad settings:

[program]
workdir=L:\
params=
executable=WC3.Exe
[vdms.gameport]
enabled=no
[vdms.midi]
useSysExLed=no
sysExLed=Scroll Lock
mapFile=H:\Programmer\VDMSound\identity.map
enabled=yes
[vdms.sb.fm]
enabled=no
[vdms.sb.dsp]
version=4.05 (SoundBlaster 16)
IRQ=7
enabled=yes
devOutID=-1
devOutType=2
buffer=175
useDevOut=yes
useFileOut=no
fileOut=M:\EMS-test\Wing Commander III
[winnt.video]
useVESA=yes
[winnt.memory]
useEMS=yes
useXMS=no
memEMS=8192
[winnt.storage]
useCDROM=yes
[winnt.dosbox]
exitClose=no
[winnt.pmode]
useCLIPOPF=no
[winnt.dos]
useAutoexec=no
autoexec=
useUMB=yes
useHIMEM.SYS=yes
useConfig=yes
config=FILES=40
[vdms.debug]
logEnabled=yes
logFile=M:\EMS-test\Wing Commander III\VDMS.log
useCustomCfg=no
customCfg=
[winnt.scheduling]
compatHWEmu=no
detectIdle=no
[vdms.dmac]
minDMAPeriod=2
maxDMAPeriod=4

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 11, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for your replies 😀

@MiniMax:
I've tried your settings, but I noticed, when I use EMX instead of XMS, I get an Error, with not enough Files
Change config.sys to FILES=25
I did that, but still gives the same Error message 😖
Any guess what is going wrong there now?

EDIT: Stupid me 😀
I just changed EMS to XMS and left all the other settings the way you said (changed paths, of course 😉 ) and now it works 😁 Thx a lot m8 😎
For future bug analysing help: These are the things I had different from your settings:
gamport enabled (still enabled)
[vdms.sb.fm]
enabled=no (was enabled)
[vdms.sb.dsp]
buffer=175 (was 75)
[winnt.memory]
using XMS instead of EMS
[winnt.storage]
useCDROM=yes (was no, I think. Not sure if it's the setting I changed, but should be...)
[winnt.pmode]
useCLIPOPF=no (was yes)
[vdms.debug]
logEnabled=yes (left it to no)
[winnt.scheduling] (didn't find those 😒 )
[vdms.dmac]
minDMAPeriod=2 (was 4)
maxDMAPeriod=4 (was 10 or so (default))

Hope that'll help to fix future probs. Thx a lot again 😀 - Btw: Any guess which one of these settings was causing the problem? Just interested 😉

Reply 5 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Well, then it's CD-ROM, cause I disabled EMS before already...
Btw, now I'm sitting at my other PC, and it works there, too - except that I can't use buffewr higher than 99ms and my sound seems to be a bit buggy (it makes "click" every second 😒 ) Any ideas on that one?
EDIT: I noticed that with minDMAPeriod=2 and maxDMAPeriod=4 the movies do not work at this PC. Trying diff settings now.
eDIT2: Btw, I'm using Midi and SB16 in WC3...
EDIT3: I've tried AWE now, still the same. But even more uggly is the crackling sound while actually playing 😢 - And I thought everything is OK now...
It's the Shuttle XPC I'm talking about, btw. - Will try the other one now...

P.S.: Argh, forgot to login ^^

Reply 6 of 11, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😒 Yes, this one has got the exact same sound problems. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...
This PC has btw buffer 175ms and it is really the CD-ROM setting that fixed my first bug.

EDIT: Ok, I've noticed, that if I use my audio cable for the Audigy (both the digital and the analog from dvd-drive to audigy) the crackling is a little bit less - no joke! It's still there, but not as huge as before. I've checked the froum and saw, you've got the same bug. Were you able to totally fix it MiniMax?

Reply 7 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nope - I have not found a fix.

Your note about the Audigy got me thinking... I wonder if fiddling with the hardware acceleration settings for my sound processor will change anything... I will report back later....

Reply 9 of 11, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm. Well, I've managed to patch my WC3 with the WC3 KS Windows version (just had to copy a few files), and now sound and joystick are working perfect. But the game random crashes when playing/skipping a video, mostly after mission1. I would say that the patching didn't work, if it didn't do the exact same thing with the Wc3 KilrathiSaga CD...
Any ideas on how to get working the KS version? Cause, if it worked, a Windows patch for the normal version would be possible (Publishing only after asking EA, of course. But writing an how to shouldn't harm)
Anyway, I'm wondering why the game runs perfect on one PC, and not on the other 😖

Reply 10 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

I wonder if fiddling with the hardware acceleration settings for my sound processor will change anything... I will report back later....

Later: No luck. Didn't change a thing 😢

Reply 11 of 11, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried that, too and no luck either. 🙁 - I've also changed to my Onboard AC97 soundcard, just for testing: With that one there is no more clicking during the movies, so the movie sound is great. But ingame sound is still buggy. The digital sound on the victory itself got better, but now some new probs accured:
1. The movies sometimes crash and from that point on I can'T see any movies, they just stop after 1/2 sec (with no sound and fastened) and freeze.
2. The ingame sound / or Sound FX at all doesn't work anymore after playing a while.
3. some commands stop working, for example I was unable to use comm-system after sound fx stopped working (couldn't comm. with Victory)
4. game sometimes crashes in the Flight Sim when selecting a train mission.
I've tested several soundcard setups and configs, didn't help.
So all in all: Except the movie sound things got way worse. 😒

btw, no advance with my Kilrathi Saga version either (see "Windows" Forum).