Features to add...

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 22, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

The OPL does not, to my knowledge, support sampled drumsets (or sampled anything, other than having a built-in DAC mode, but that's for something else and was only used in the AdLib Gold card, if ever). The old code, IIRC, had "guess" emulation of drums, whereas Jarek actually reverse-engineered the chip and, according to him, if you take a real chip and record, digitally, its output then compare it to the emulation's output, the two will be *identical*.

You're right. The only use for implementing support for the YM3812 sample set would be if someone wanted to use their own drum sound effects instead of the YM3812's simulated drums. I never said otherwise - but I'll admit that demand for this would be low. I don't really need it myself, just thought it would be a neat feature. I first saw this sort of feature in a TI-99/4A emulator called AMI99, and also in this old version of MAME.

I think I was right in guessing that MAMESAMP.ZIP is not needed here as the game driver probably would have used the samples directly. I guess I added it as the code *might not* have the "guessed-at" drum emulation at that time. It remained "guessed-at" until, as you said, Jarek rewrote the code.

MAMEOPL.ZIP, on the other hand, should have its uses. It includes the source code and binaries for directly interfacing with a sound card with an actual OPL2 chip, written by Robert Schlabbach. (If you need to ask him a question, you can easily find his current email address at this website: http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/ I've all but confirmed that this is the same guy.) It also includes the FM.c and FMOPL.c, etc., files that were in use at the time. This is truly a feature I'd like to see. 😀

Is there still any confusion? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto