Topic actions

First post, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Poll: Should SOMEONE port VDMsound to Win98? 😀

• 11 votes (65%) 11 votes (65%)
  • 6 votes (35%) 6 votes (35%)

Hi, I'm new to this board. VDMsound is great, but doesn't work on Windows 98 (to state the obvious). The solution isn't to get a soundcard with DOS support when using Win98, because they are dying out. Soon there will be none - we will *need* to emulate old DOS sound standards like Adlib if it is to survive. Why use Windows 98, you ask? Because although VDMsound emulates sound in Win2k/XP, Win2k/XP kick up a whole headache of problems for DOS games. Some just plain don't work (whilst they do work on Win98 on my system), and for others (like Mad TV 1), the mouse refuses to work in Win2k/XP for some strange reason (again, it works fine in Win98).

Anyway, my plea is this - could someone please write a required module that will get VDMsound working in Windows 98? It would allow pretty much perfect emulation of most DOS games, where Windows 2k/XP doesn't. I e-mailed the VDMsound contact address about this issue and got this response from Vlad:

VDMSound was built in such a way as to easily port it to Win9x. However, a
crucial module necessary for VDMSound to work under Win9x is missing:
someone has to write a VxD that would give VDMSound basic services like
intercepting I/O access and generating emulated IRQs. This is provided by
Microsoft under NT, but does not exist under 9x.
Do you know someone (friend?) who is willing to do this?

Alas, I do not. Nor do I have the knowledge to program this sort of thing myself. But if someone would program the required VxD, it would be incredibly cool 😀

Anyway, thanks....

== Jez ==

Reply 1 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like SB emulation for Win98 the same way I'd like Cold Fusion. It would be great, but I'm not banging the drum for it as it would be a very difficult task that few are willing to put forth the effort.

Reply 3 of 63, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, dude, you had the same problem with MadTV 1 and mouse support? *phew* Glad to hear I'm not the only one, I, err, guess, insofar that I was worried there was something seriously wrong with my system. (Well, I mean, there was, but...yeah.) Anyway, the main reason VDMS is extremely non-portable is because it uses lots of specific NT calls, like Vlad said to you.

It's open source, so it's not like Vlad is the only one that can work on it -- it's just that nobody else has the knowhow/interest/time to do so.

Finally, since Win9x is a rapidly dying breed, there isn't much incentive, as far as the time-spent-porting-to-time-used ratio is concerned. (Plus, most have moved up to Windows 2000/XP by now.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jez wrote:

And I thought Cold Fusion already existed.

Sure, it's in that lab right next to that one with the anti-gravity hoverboards from "Back to the Future II".

In all seriousness, cold fusion may be possible. But I don't think there's conclusive proof right now. It would be a great power resource. However, if they screwed up badly enough, it would likely cause a explosion so large that it could eradicate all of the North American continent; removing the associated crust and expose major portions of the mantle beneath.

The oceans would then pour down in the mantle, probably boiling a large portion of the world's oceans and possibly dissipating a lot of the earth's atmosphere in the process. Which in turn would probably eliminate all life more complex beyond simple bacteria.

Actually, that's an unlikely worse-case scenario. Besides all animal/human life would probably be killed off from a combination of the original explosion, the resulting catastrophic tidal waves, and the debris that would be thrown into the (what remains of) the atmosphere.

Reply 7 of 63, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But there should be people trying to work on porting it to Win98, coz the point is that it's an OS which can run DOS games a LOT better than 2k/xp. So you people with XP should be setting up dual boots. It's not impossible, I did it. Mad TV 1 would work fine in 98 for me if only I had an Adlib-compatible soundcard, but as they're nearly unheard of nowadays, it's important to be emulating it...

Any ideas on why the mouse might not work in Mad TV 1 in XP? And is that emulatable?

== Jez ==

Reply 10 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Sure, it's in that lab right next to that one with the anti-gravity hoverboards from "Back to the Future II". […]
Show full quote

Sure, it's in that lab right next to that one with the anti-gravity hoverboards from "Back to the Future II".

In all seriousness, cold fusion may be possible. But I don't think there's conclusive proof right now. It would be a great power resource. However, if they screwed up badly enough, it would likely cause a explosion so large that it could eradicate all of the North American continent; removing the associated crust and expose major portions of the mantle beneath.

The oceans would then pour down in the mantle, probably boiling a large portion of the world's oceans and possibly dissipating a lot of the earth's atmosphere in the process. Which in turn would probably eliminate all life more complex beyond simple bacteria.

Actually, that's an unlikely worse-case scenario. Besides all animal/human life would probably be killed off from a combination of the original explosion, the resulting catastrophic tidal waves, and the debris that would be thrown into the (what remains of) the atmosphere.

I think jez was thinking you meant this:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/

Yeah, I'd like Win98 support too, but that's a pipe dream.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 63, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stiletto: well guessed 😀

And it is NOT a pipe dream! It's perfectly possible, if someone with the knowledge just programs ONE VxD. It shouldn't be seen as even close to unachievable.

== Jez ==

Reply 12 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ogre wrote:

...and I may have a go at writing that VxD.

Good luck. I think a Win9x version would be great...It's just that whoever attempts to writ it will have to really work to make it happen.

Reply 13 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jez wrote:

I'd try e-mailing ntvdm@hotmail.com - he seems to be the main developer of VDMsound

Heh-heh. Vlad was and is the only developer. It's been open-sourced for quite some time, but he's yet to get a partner on it.

Reply 14 of 63, by Ogre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jez wrote:

I'd try e-mailing ntvdm@hotmail.com - he seems to be the main developer of VDMsound. And if you did write the VxD, I would be prepared to have your babies. 😀

All right, I e-mailed him -- but don't expect too much, I'm a student myself and I don't have much spare time...

All the best,

Ogre

Reply 15 of 63, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe a team effort of some kind would be a good idea, might get the VxD written, u know, different people working of different functions of it..... if only I could figure out how to program the things in ASM, I might help 😉

If he got http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/ working again, it might help there be a community to develop VDMsound. Why is it unavailable? The alternative website suggested is *horrendusly* slow.

By the way, for anyone interedted in developing Windows 98 VxDs, here are a couple of URLs containing useful downloads:
http://www.techsoftpl.com/vxd/download.htm
(VxDWriter - write VxDs in C/C++)
http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/ddk98.asp
(Windows 98 DDK download from their website)
^ However, Microsoft say the Windows 98 DDK will only be available until the *30TH SEPTEMBER*, ie. 4 days!!! I can't seem to find the download on any other websites.... if anyone knows of an alternative location, please post it. Thanks.

Update: Possible alternative download for the 98DDK - but for how long?
ftp://csd.uniyar.ac.ru/pub/win9x/devel/98ddk.exe

Last edited by jez on 2002-09-26, 12:11. Edited 1 time in total.

== Jez ==

Reply 16 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

jez, you remind me of... me, in a way, the way you become a promoter of things.
(Evidence of my doing this is spread all throughout the forums here... hehe...)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 63, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, the NO side seems to be leading by one vote.
Not to worry though for the YES side; someone (Chris Chua) has kindly offered his help. Chris has already written and compiled the VxD, so you should hear some news soon (ok, not *too* soon, but soon).

V.