VOGONS

Win98? PLEASE?????!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 63, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding the whole downloads going down thing, that was only for SEGMENTED downloads. If you go to the 98 DDK site, you'll see that all downloads are still intact, EXCEPT that

Segment downloads are no longer available

. See? No problem. 😁 Not that you'd need segmented downloads ANYWAY... I mean, geeze. Between broadband and the 500 download managers out there...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 21 of 63, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladr wrote:

Ok, the NO side seems to be leading by one vote.
Not to worry though for the YES side; someone (Chris Chua) has kindly offered his help. Chris has already written and compiled the VxD, so you should hear some news soon (ok, not *too* soon, but soon).

V.

Does this mean we'll be able to emulate sutff like Adlib sound for DOS games in Windows 98? For real?? :-DDDDD

By the way, I am not being e-mailed anymore when this thread is replied to, despite the fact that I requested it... a bug in the msg board software, perhaps?

With regards to Snover's comment, I think you're wrong, unfortunately. MS still haven't apparently taken the WIn98 DDK download down, but they plan to. This is a quote from their main DDK page:

Other Driver Development Kits

The Windows 98 DDK, including Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition debug binaries and symbols, and the Windows NT 4.0 DDK are also available for download until September 30, 2002.

That's not just segmented downloads which are offline, it's the whole lot. I've downloaded the stuff, and will probably mirror it if MS take it down, if it's needed.

== Jez ==

Reply 22 of 63, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jez wrote:

By the way, I am not being e-mailed anymore when this thread is replied to, despite the fact that I requested it... a bug in the msg board software, perhaps?

It could be a lot of things -- SendMail, PHP, vBulletin, your ISP...

I don't really have an external address to test-send stuff to, so if anyone would be willing for me to shoot a bunch of test messages through vBulletin, PHP, and SendMail to them, I'd be much obliged. (Jez, you'd probably be the best since you're having the problem. Speaking of which, had anyone else had this happen? I know the server's had some downtime recently, but that should only delay the stuff, not prevent it entirely.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

May I ask what point there is in releasing a 9x version of VDMSound?

9x (except maybe WinME users) users have DOS on tap and by my reckoning, shouldn't really need a program like VDMSound.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 27 of 63, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About the only reason is for users who do not have the knowledge to setup Dos drivers (when needed since 9x does a fairly good job anyways in Windows)....

That's about it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 28 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If they can't setup drivers in DOS what chance have they got in using something like VDMSound? My experience with both DOS emulation drivers and VDMSound says that both generally require the same steps (editing config files and running one or two programs to enable the emulation) so if they can't do one, then they probably couldn't handle the other.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 29 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's wrong with Win9x users not wanting to boot into DOS to run their games? There's many cases where having the DOS drivers load, then booting into Windows 98 and playing the game doesn't work or gives you no sound.

Besides, it's always great to port something to another OS in my book. I'm looking forward to seeing Chris Chua's stuff (What's the status?).

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

If they can't setup drivers in DOS what chance have they got in using something like VDMSound?

There is another factor. Many soundcards (or motherboard audio chipsets) offer pitiful DOS audio support. Many don't have FM synthesis anymore (meaning no SoundBlaster/Adlib music).

The only real issue about making a Win9x version is the "Herculean" effort that's needed from the programmer to create the critical portion needed to make it work.

Reply 31 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see that, I never really had a problem with the DOS drivers that came with my SBLive (except the ones that came with the LiveWare 3 package. I never did figure out what the problem actually was, I just used to get around it by installing LW2, backing up the DOS driver folder, installin LW3 and then restoring the folder) but the ones for Windows that come with my folks AC '97 audio chip are positively shocking.

Still, driver support for 9x in general is going to start getting more and more sparse as time goes on, particularly in the light of Microsofts Lifecycle guidelines, so why not just take the oppurtunity to upgrade now (even if it is only to Win2k :p) and use the NT version of VDMSound?

I realise thats hardly an ideal situation for some (particularly those with a burning desire to run BUILD engine games in particular) but things like DOSBox (and VDMSound) are only going to get better as a result so the future isn't really all that bleak.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 32 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LSD wrote:

The ones for Windows that come with my folks AC '97 audio chip are positively shocking.

Incidentally, an online acquaintance of mine has done some work in improving DOS AC '97 audio drivers. See here:
http://vsynchmame.mameworld.net/

So far, he's done drivers for soundcards/chips that use:
RealTek ALS4000, Cirrus Logic CS4624, Cirrus Logic CS4614, Cirrus Logic CS4280, Yamaha YMF724, Yamaha YMF744, Yamaha YMF754, Trident 4DWave-NX, and Ectiva EV1935 (OPTi OPTi935 MACH ONE)

It looks like some of his work will be taken into DOS MAME at some point (from my discussions with the DOS MAME port maintainer).

I even thought Vlad might find it interesting to talk to Saka, but I'm not sure that he's taken me up on it. 😀

I realise thats hardly an ideal situation for some (particularly those with a burning desire to run BUILD engine games in particular) but things like DOSBox (and VDMSound) are only going to get better as a result so the future isn't really all that bleak.

Just thought I'd add that this is an odd counterpoint to your "XP's sound emulation r0x0rz" thread, but I don't feel like getting into it.

Anyone who said DOS is dead hasn't seen FreeDOS yet. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 33 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Just thought I'd add that this is an odd counterpoint to your "XP's sound emulation r0x0rz" thread, but I don't feel like getting into it.

Obviously you weren't paying attention. I never said that exactly (but I understand how someone might see it that way). What I said was that, when it worked, XPs sound emulation gave results every bit as good as VDMSound. I believe I also mentioned that Shadow Warrior (a BUILD engine game) has been giving me grief for quite some time. And lastly, I think I mentioned that XP lacked AdLib emulation (and all in the one post to boot).

edit: Let me explain that again, what I meant was that, given the lack of a perceivable difference between VDMSound and XPs internal emulation (I'm open to any suggestion on just why this might be the case) the extra inconvenience of having to run programs with VDMS hardly makes it worth it. Snovers suggestion was interesting but I'd rather not have any non-game programs (not that I have many) run with VDMS automatically.

Last edited by LSD on 2002-10-31, 20:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 34 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

Still, driver support for 9x in general is going to start getting more and more sparse as time goes on,…

Very true. I still want to keep “true” DOS support available until we have a full-fledged “Pentium PC emulator. There are still far too many titles out there that won’t run or run like a pig under NT. I’m keeping my dual-boot until then.

…particularly in the light of Microsoft’s Lifecycle guidelines, so why not just take the opportunity to upgrade now …

Agh! He’s a mole! He’s working for the man! He’s a worker-drone for Microsoft!

*Heh*. Kidding. That’s the mandatory “Microsoft Paranoia” response, it’s required by law nowadays.

…I realise thats hardly an ideal situation for some

Actually it’s quite reasonable. If people would just use a partition manager to make space for NT on their drives or get a second drive, 2000/XP will actually configure a dual-boot for you. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Reply 35 of 63, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last time I talked to Chris (one week ago) VDMSound was working relatively well on Win98 with full SB and AdLib support. Only problem was that for some reason DirectSound won't work, WaveOut would run into problems every now and then, and the games would sometimes lock up. All three very likely related to crappy Win98 sound drivers, but that's why I'm waiting for more details from Chris. But yes, AdLib and SB work (as Chris said two weeks ago):

Actually, now it hardly freezes at all! In fact, as far as I've seen AdLib works. (I could even say I am the first person to hear emulated AdLib music from a DOS game on a win9x machine with no OPLx chip!) I have changed DSoundDevice to WaveDevice and that allowed the init to complete. However, the sound is so broken (and the dos box loses responsiveness every now and then since it is blocked) it is much worse than on the same computer in win2000 (even at 8000hz). But you can hear it (and my FM midi player somehow plays things perfectly with no skips) well. MPU401 out now works and as far as I know Doom works perfectly with it (not sure about MPU IN).

V.

Reply 36 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll dispute his claim about AdLib...

I could have sworn that it worked perfectly on my SBLive when I ran 9x about 3-4 years ago.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 37 of 63, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahem, read again.

"... first person to hear emulated AdLib music ..."

By emulated he meant software emulated, BTW, not EMU8000 (hardware) emulated.

V.

Reply 38 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My SBLive has an EMU 10K1 (not quite sure if it means 10100 or 10001) 😉

The AWE64 had an EMU8000 IIRC.

Seriously though, at the end of the day, whats the difference? The OPL chip gets emulated either way making his claim debatable either way.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 39 of 63, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some cards don't have the chip. Creative has AdLib emulation in "some" of its drivers, but this is really supposed to be a long-term thing for people that don't want to upgrade from their beloved Windows 4 systems.

Yes, it’s my fault.