VOGONS

Common searches

Heads up: Vogons will be updated

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 149, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never understood the need for mobile sites, pinch zooming and scrolling on phones is so fast and easy, and a lot of desktop websites are just way easier to use and deliver more functionality than most mobile versions, I tend to switch to the desktop version on a lot of websites because the mobile ones are just too cumbersome to use.

please just don't start using blurry fonts :p

Reply 23 of 149, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

I never understood the need for mobile sites, pinch zooming and scrolling on phones is so fast and easy, and a lot of desktop websites are just way easier to use and deliver more functionality than most mobile versions, I tend to switch to the desktop version on a lot of websites because the mobile ones are just too cumbersome to use.

please just don't start using blurry fonts :p

Bolded by me. This is not my experience. At all.

The forum is very hard to use on a mobile device, especially for one handed use. Even if you were to dedicate both hands to the effort, buttons and links are unclickably small unless you pinch-zoom multiple times. Posting anything is a royal pain in the ass because the posting forms designed for desktop use are too big for mobile displays. When you do post something, you have to compromise between editing with text that is illegibly small or having to painfully scroll around the text box manually. It's not just a "Not Ideal" situation, it's pretty much painful to use.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 149, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, that might be the issue, I never really use my phone one handed apart from making phone calls and I don't see why I should ^^

posting on mobile is hard for one reason only, typing, and no website design will change that, everything else is easy imho.

but yeah, I can see how browsing on a phone one handed can be hard.

also mobile and desktop versions should always stay seperate imho.

Reply 25 of 149, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:
Hello fellow VOGONS members, […]
Show full quote

Hello fellow VOGONS members,

This month (but probably this weekend), VOGONS will be updated to a new version.
So don't be alarmed if the board is in maintenance mode or locked down.

To ease the shock: it will look different.

More information will be provided on the launch of the new board.

Just a newer release or a different forum software? Xenforo is pretty neat to use.

Some info about the private messaging settings (limits, requirements, etc.) would also be nice. The current setup is subpar, to say the least 😁

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 27 of 149, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ugh what is it with every forum updating lately ? If this update is anything like other forums that updated there forum in the last few years I foresee broken links, broken support of older devices and browsers, a shitty interface that looks like every other site that is full of bugs, almost every setting hard to find or hidden way in pages of a messy overkill user CP. Its not that change is bad, but for the love of god make sure its done right.

Reply 28 of 149, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The need for change is made necessary by
- broken forum software that is no longer secure
- more need for administration tools as there are more and more trolls and people forgetting basic netiquette

Again, I urge you all brace for impact but maybe don't criticize the new forum days before you can even use it. And requests are probably not coming at the right time now.
Just wait for the new forum, test it out and then report back.
As is usual with forum updates, things might be broken even though the update has been planned for a while now.

What I'm seeing right now is the story of the guy who goes over to the neighbour to ask whether he can borrow his hammer. As soon as the neighbour opens his door the guy screams at him "I don't even want your fucking hammer!!!"
Why? Because on his way over he imagined already the conversation and in his head it turned ugly...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 31 of 149, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I meant mostly security is ALWAYS broken with the forum softwares. It's a constant need to update them. You can postpone it for a while but then you need to get back on it...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 32 of 149, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The biggest thing I care about is retro compatibility.

With this forum it's such a major boon that I can load it in a browser like Firefox 1 or RetroZilla and it will just work with no issues. Even extremely old browsers like IE3 can still log in and make posts although it might look like crap.

If I can't make posts from my retro PCs, it's going to be a disappointment for me.

I understand that security is an issue, though. It will be what it will be. I can't complain if the admins are making their lives easier.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 34 of 149, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:
The biggest thing I care about is retro compatibility. […]
Show full quote

The biggest thing I care about is retro compatibility.

With this forum it's such a major boon that I can load it in a browser like Firefox 1 or RetroZilla and it will just work with no issues. Even extremely old browsers like IE3 can still log in and make posts although it might look like crap.

If I can't make posts from my retro PCs, it's going to be a disappointment for me.

I understand that security is an issue, though. It will be what it will be. I can't complain if the admins are making their lives easier.

That's a good point, but it should be possible to preserve the barebones low bloat layout with newer forum software

Reply 35 of 149, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
liqmat wrote:

Dinosaurs with laser beams please. I've been asking for months!

dino_laser.gif

Oh no, I think only sharks with attached lasers are planned...

Reply 37 of 149, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

I meant mostly security is ALWAYS broken with the forum softwares. It's a constant need to update them. You can postpone it for a while but then you need to get back on it...

Yes security is important and you need to keep on top of it. I just hope that the staff here is doing more then just updating the the forums. Like look at what happened to EVGA's about 10 years back. They kept the forums secure and upto date but had some bad policy's about server management that allowed just about anyone that knew how to use RDP to log into the unsecure web server that was hosting the site.

Anyway I just hope the change is implemented properly. Because its so hard to update a forum and keep the links or attachments in a working state 🤣

Reply 38 of 149, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as the main/default theme stays purple-ish and you stay away from infinite scrolling concepts I'm good 😉
btw are you completely changing platform? XenForo looks like it'd suit to vogons minimalism and clean look, not an idea for you to consider at this point of course, just curious.

Reply 39 of 149, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In b4 the update is preceded by a joke update skinning the new forum into a combination of every bad and horrible 1990s website feature, such as blinking and scrolling text, screaming outrageous colors, low-res images, etc.