VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, here's the problem. I'm trying to install Tomb Raider 1 on Windows 2000, or XP and it won't even install anymore. Since using NT based O/S's I have been doing it like THIS RIGHT HERE and it has worked perfectly.

Now all of a sudden on both 2K and XP when I type the part about "E:\>install" it starts to run the DOS4GW stuff and then stops. A trip to the Task Manager to kill the full screen command prompt reveals that NTVDM.EXE has the CPU pegged @ 100%.

Here's the catch. If I go install it on a Win 98 PC then copy the installed files to my 2000 PC and run it with Glidos (runs TR1 in open GL) it runs fine.....but it won't run without Glidos anymore even after doing the manual install.

So, what has changed? Could hardware have something to do with this or do you think one of the Windows Updates (NTVDM.EXE)? Video card VESA modes? I've read a bit about VESA but know nothing.

Reply 2 of 18, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just the CPU, Mainboard, Video card, SP3 in 2000 Pro and SP1 in XP Pro. 😁

I can't remember for sure if my GF4 Ti4400 has ever run it successfully, but my GF3 did and my GF2 GTS still does on my other PC with same drivers version and OS. So it uses the same NTVDM.EXE, but on different hardware.

I'm trying to run it without Glidos. If I didn't have another PC with Win98 I could not even get the install files to maually install it, therefore Glidos would be useless.

Reply 4 of 18, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No DirectX 9, but I did try it with DirectX 9 and had the same results.

Since posting this I tried removing my Nvidia drivers completely and running whatever default Win 2000 drivers got put in. No luck.

I tried changing my main Computer driver from "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" as it is on my old PC. My PC seemed fine, but still no luck with Tomb Raider.

I do run with Reforce.exe to set my refresh rates, but used it before without problem. Do you think TR1 wants to run at a low refresh rate and my setup is locking it out? Using the default driver mentioned above should have eliminated this I would think as the Reforce settings are tied to the drivers.

Another thing is I have an Asus P4S533-E (if you haven't already checked my profile) that uses the SIS 645DX chipset. This chipset does not seem very Windows 98 friendly. They don't even make a Windows 9x USB-2 or an IDE driver for it. Could it be caused by my Mainboards chipset?

Edit: Another mentionable. The drive format is NTFS, but I could almost swear I had it working fine on that before too, and running FAT32 on my 80 GB drive is not a vallid option. Keep in mind if I run Glidos after a manual TR1 install, it runs fine.....but I want to be able to run without Glidos if I want too, not to mention it won't be long before a Windows 98 PC will be hard to find to get it installed next time.

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-01-29, 07:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My guess would be that nVidia have broken VESA and VGA support again, and the mode needed by TR is missing.

Do you have problems with full screen DOS in general?

There's another thing: some people have reported problems with DOS4GW if they have lots of system variables, but I'd have thought that would stop TR working with Glidos aswell.

The fact that Glidos still works points to VESA. Have you tried editing Glidos.ini and removing VesaSupport: YES to see if that stops Glidos working?

Reply 6 of 18, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried that. Good call, it locked up exactly like running without Glidos with NTVDM.EXE CPU use @ 99%.

Now, how would I work around that? How does Nvidia break it? Drivers or hardware?

The Setup.ini in my Nvidia drivers has the following text and it looks mighty similar to the VESA modes I see in the Glidos Server. Are these the VESA modes? Can I edit it and add the right Tomb Raider mode? What would that be?

[Startup]
AppName=NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers
[Languages]
Default=0x0009
count=25
key0=0x0804
key1=0x0404
key2=0x0005
key3=0x0006
key4=0x0013
key5=0x0009
key6=0x000b
key7=0x040c
key8=0x0007
key9=0x0008
key10=0x000e
key11=0x0010
key12=0x0011
key13=0x0012
key14=0x0014
key15=0x0015
key16=0x0416
key17=0x0816
key18=0x0019
key19=0x001b
key20=0x0024
key21=0x000a
key22=0x001d
key23=0x001e
key24=0x001f

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-01-29, 12:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 18, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, for the longest time FMV would not play in Tomb Raider 4 and would lock up the game right off if it was enabled. That is fixed in the newer ones, but now TR1 is broken.

I did try 3 driver version going back as old as I could with my GF4 card. None worked. EDIT: Make that 4 sets. The newer 41.09's don't work either.

I guess I'll just keep my install files for later use and run it with Glidos then. I just wanted the ability to install and run it from scratch though. I guess it's only a matter of time before it just absolutely will not run anymore on a new PC.

If I wasn't running NTFS, I could just load it up from a Windows 98 Boot Disk 😁

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-01-30, 22:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there will always be a work around. I will get around to
writing an installer one day, and the VESA support in Glidos doesn't require much from the graphics card. And the VESA support can be improved if needed.

Reply 10 of 18, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's NOT the Nvidia drivers! I am currently doing a step by step and reboot new install of Windows XP Pro and testing Tomb Raider as I go. I'll edit here with my results later. So far it's working.......

The cause is the SIS AGP driver version 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, and 1.14....all of them I could find. Damned SIS chipset!

Bah!! @#$&# @$##& SIS @##$%%&#

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-02-01, 02:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Yeah, dude. Intel processors blow. Get an AMD.

Runs fine on my Celeron4, and IIRC SiS makes chipsets for both AMD and Intel motherboards, so bailing on his processor is probably not the smartest move...

Reply 13 of 18, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fear not, I was not going to take his advice 😁 I've have/had several AMD's and Intel's and they're both good.

However, I will avoid like the plague, all SIS and ALI chipsets next time I buy a mainboard. VIA or Nforce next time.

Reply 14 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who's winning these days Intel or AMD? Does the P4 still not have an instruction grouper, and hence run at its best only with specially compiled code? Is it possible to run a modern AMD without a fan that sounds like an aeroplane?

Off topic I know, but...

Reply 15 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still Intel, since their shit runs cooler and is ever-so-slightly cheaper (because it's shit). Oh yeah, they've also got faster clock speeds (which really doesn't mean much of anything anymore).
Yes, it still has no instruction grouper.
Yes, it is. http://www.silentpcreview.com 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just changing the cooler on your CPU won't help a lot...
You need to get a PSU with variable-speed fan and also there is a heatsink cooler available for video cards that works quite well from what I've heard. Also, try finding the Panaflo fans they recommend.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 18 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The flower cooler was the recommended one from quietpc (at the time I looked), but yes I didn't change the PSU and other fans so that's probably where the noise is coming from. Still the flower cooler made a big difference: it is bearable now.