VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 46, by demione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thansk for the suggestion, I'll get to work on uninstalling VDMS and glidos.

Just so I know for reference, does glidos modify the tomb.exe file at all? or does glidos simple provide a wrapper that executeart of an unmodified tomb.exe?

another question -- what does tr1 need the cd for? anything besides a copy protection check and the music?

Reply 22 of 46, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GliDOS doesn't modify any of the games files, it acts as a Glide emulator intercepting the glide calls from the game and redirecting them to OpenGlide (Glide emulator).

IIRC, it just needs the CD for the CD audio.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 46, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What sort of flicker?

Difficult to describe flickers really, but it sort of looks as if the pixels are all re-aligning themselves in a horizontal band across the centre of the screen.

If I switch "Anti-Aliasing - application preference" off, then tick a box that says "temporal anti-aliasing" - I have a choice of 2X, 4X or 6X and it doesn't seem to matter which of these I choose - then the flicker is history!
A side effect of this though happens in the menu: instead of having a dimmed image of where you are in the game, everything except the top left hand quadrant is blacked out and what you see in the remaining quadrant is not dimmed.

None of this has offered the slightest relief to the "hang / save game" problem though.

Reply 26 of 46, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was a good chance that wouldn't help at all, because it really doesn't look to be the Glidos side of things. Its the DOS side. I may have asked this. Have you tried setting up TR to not use audio?

Reply 28 of 46, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Run c:\tombraid\setup.exe

Or if that file doesn't exist, see if there is one called install.exe, and rename it to setup.exe and then run it.

Or copy the install.exe from your TR CD into that folder, and rename it to setup.exe, and then run it.

Reply 29 of 46, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bingo! This seems to be the source of the problem! Does this mean I won't be able to play the game with CD Sound? (The MP3 sounds are playing back just fine of course!)

Reply 30 of 46, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its not the CD audio that you are losing; its the digital audio (gun fire, footsteps etc). You could try reenabling it, but disabel MP3 sounds in Glidos. See if its a bad interaction.

Also may be worth looking to see if there are more up to date drivers for your sound card.

And maybe uninstall and reinstall VDMSound.

Reply 34 of 46, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No I don't really get what you mean. There may be some version related problem if you sometimes use Glidos, and sometimes run without Glidos, using the original tomb.exe. Some people have run into problems with save games from one sessions not working in another.

Reply 35 of 46, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did what you suggested. Re-enabling the digital sounds and disabling the mp3 resulted in everything seeming to work fine, so the nasty interaction theory would seem to be right. I uninstalled and re-installed VDM Sound and I do have the most up to date driver for my sound card. Unfortunately, re-enabling all the audio has brought the problem back.

Reply 36 of 46, by IveAnAlienInsideMe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently installed TR1 with glidos and have been getting the similar crashes when saving.

It locks at the point when all the components go to the centre after you've saved, the PC isn't locked and glidos can be quitted using the right windows key (disabled the left on because it was also causing crashing / annoyance). the save game created is there but is called savegame.X and doesn't work.

I may be imagining it but noticed that it seems to happen a less if each time I save choose a new slot?

While my friends are enjoying taking the micky of me playing TR1 on a top system, (FX60 7800gtx sli), I'm enjoying the nostalgia trip while wait for some decent new titles to arrive. First time around I was blown away by Tr1 (over previous software rendering). It was with an Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo1 & pentium 166 mmx, (top end in it's day). Also wanted to say thanks to the Glidos Creator for his dedication to Glidos giving us the ability to run TR1 in 1600x1200. So TR1 is old and graphically simple in many ways, but you soon forget that and realise how great the game was / is. Don't let the crashing put you off just save more often, and if you have to do a section again it wont be a lot..

Reply 38 of 46, by cluelessnewbie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm getting the same exact kind of random crashing during saves. Disabling digital audio from the setup menu is the only fix that has worked for me. I've tried disabling mp3 playback in Glidos (I downloaded the audio pack previously) but that hasn't had any effect. My sound card is an X-Fi Elite pro, an updated driver should be coming out soon... I'll report back after I can try it out.