VOGONS

Common searches

Tomb Raider Movies and Sound

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Two Problems:

First one regards the movies. When Tomb Raider starts the movies will not play, I just get a black screen. I hit escape to bypass the movies and I jump to the main menu screen where you select game and sound and controls and what not. When starting a new game and its time for the movie to play it does the exact same thing and I again hit escape to bypass the movie and am in full control of the game. As recomened for movies that are cut short, I removed the "VESASupport: Yes" line from the .ini file and I got a slight improvment. Instead of just getting a blank screen, the EDIOS Development screen appears and then when it switches to the play the movie, it freezes and I hit escape as before. On occasion, when it freezes, I will get to see the very first frame of the opening video and then nothing.

My second problem is the sound.
I get the ambient sound just fine, but everything else is silent. On the main meny screen I get the theme music but no sounds when I scroll through all the differnt options or even when I select the passport, I dont get that page turning sound. In game, ambient sound works fine but thats it. No footstepts, drawing weapons, or fireing them is heard. Not even menu select sounds. I am using VDMSound 2.0.4.

Comp stats:
Windows XP Home
P4 1.8 Ghrz
256 Megs Ram (RD)
GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB
Sound Blaster Live! (WDM)

Any Help would be nice..
-MSTIRLNG

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-04-20, 00:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 67, by Unregistered

User metadata

Because one can never be sure of anything I decided to check and see about VDMSound. To make sure it was being loaded I went to the command prompt and loaded it myslef and then ran Tomb Raider through the Glidos server and subsequently got no improvment. I then decided to make sure that VDMSound was installed properly by loading Tomb Raider in horrible graphics mode. After loading VDMSound and then running Tomb.exe form the command prompt the Glidos server took over and the game played the movies and sounds wiht improved graphics. The only problem I seem to now have is the game like to play ambient music all the time. For example, when I go to Lara's mansion the theme music plays in the background all the time. Also, the normal game sound can be described as "crackly" but comprehendable. I don't think this is the best way to go about getting this to work but I do think you are right about VDMSound not working properly. How do I make the Glidos server load VDMSound? It doesn't seem to be doing it, if that is the way to go.

-MSTIRLNG

Reply 3 of 67, by Unregistered

User metadata

The crackly sound seems to have disappeared. The sound works just fine now with the good graphics and accessing the game through the prompt as I discussed above. Ambient music is still a problem in-game. The in-game controls do not controll it. Its acting as if it were playing it like a music CD in the back ground but its not. The auto-read is disabled and there are no audio CD reading programs open (Winamp, Windows Media, etc...). If I can get that fixed, all will be well

-MSTIRLNG

Reply 4 of 67, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered The only problem I seem to now have is the game like to play ambient music all the time. For example, when I go to Lara's mansion the theme music plays in the background all the time.

AFAIK, that's normal behavior when running in GliDOS. I consider it a bonus feature rather than a bug.

Reply 5 of 67, by Unregistered

User metadata

I am used to playing the PSX version of Tomb Raider, so, to me it seems abnormal to have it running all the time. I do miss the "dynamic" ambient music though, such as, in the caves when you get attacked by the dogs after jumping over the pit where the bear is and going through the next door, I dont get that action ambient music, the one that always scares the hell out of my friends and family when they sit down and play it for the first time. I guess when the computer generation gaps collide, you take what you can get. For all I know, that is the hardest thing to try and make Glidos do. Hell, I had issues passing my Intro to C Programing class so the fact that people can do this kinda thing blows my mind sometimes. Although, the Tomb Raider Level Editor that came with Chronicles is loads of fun and if people design levels with those sorts of things rather than from code, I could get into that. Then again, I think about the code that's required to create programs like that and again, I end up in some computer limbo. I hate it when people ask me if I know anything about computers. The only thing I can tell them I really know is, "Install game... Play game!" and there ends my computer genius.

On that note, I have played a lot of computer games, and seeing Tomb Raider looking DAMN fine on my computer is a thing of beauty. Although, that spinning GLIDOS thing is kind of annoying. I will see what I can do about throwing some money that way so it goes away. It is kind of ammusing when it takes the form of the textures from Lara's body.

-MSTIRLNG

Reply 6 of 67, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I am used to playing the PSX version of Tomb Raider, so, to me it seems abnormal to have it running all the time.

Oh what, like Lara wouldn't have some classical tune playing while working out in the exercise room? *heh*

I do miss the "dynamic" ambient music though, such as, in the caves when you get attacked by the dogs after jumping over the pit where the bear is and going through the next door, I dont get that action ambient music, the one that always scares the hell out of my friends and family when they sit down and play it for the first time.

Hrmm...Not sure I recall that.. I have the PSX CD and use it mostly for emulation testing. Of course, I didn't play it that much (preferring the PC version).

I did notice that the PSX version had a lot more audio tracks. Unfortunately this seemed primarily to consist of spoken dialog (apparently streamed from the CD for the PSX version).

Hell, I had issues passing my Intro to C Programing class so the fact that people can do this kinda thing blows my mind sometimes.

Flunked my COBOL, don't give me flashbacks.

Reply 7 of 67, by Unregistered

User metadata

One thing that I am going to miss from PSX version is the controler. I find it very difficult to get any kind of speed and accuracy with the keyboard for this specific game. Just takes time I guess, like with anything. Of course, it doesn't help that I keep trying to use Tomb Raider Two and Tomb Raider Three moves that are not even in this game, such as the roll in the air and the duck and crawl. Oh well, live and learn.

Just thought I would double check that the muisc in the background is suppose to be playing all the time. Is it? Is that a Glidos thing?

-MSTIRLNG

Reply 8 of 67, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeh, the background sounds are supposed to play all the time. In fact, this is a feature that used to be missing when running under Windows XP (it worked only under Windows 9X), and it took a fair amount of effort, within the coding of Glidos, to make it work under Windos XP.

The CD audio is richer on the PS2 version, I think.

Strange that VDMSound isn't being started by Glidos. It is supposed to.

Reply 9 of 67, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CD audio is richer on the PS2 version, I think.

That's one of those little things I noticed throughout the PC version. Just an example: in the Cistern, both versions begin with the 'water dripping' ambient sound. You push a couple of blocks then you enter the cistern itself by walking on a bridge. Right there, the PSX version features a short tune of 'amazement' (much like the many ones present in TR2).

Looking back, the PSX version is full of such instances which are quite lacking on the PC version. Of course this is no Glidos' fault. And frankly, now that I enjoyed the 'Glidos version', I will have a hard time trading it for the PSX one 😀

It's interesting to note that Core didn't make the same mistake with TR2 and kept all the CD tracks intact for the PC version.

Reply 10 of 67, by Unregistered

User metadata

I really do think that the the PSX version is superior in many ways. In fact I do think that, in general, consoles are superior to PC's in so far as gaming is concerned. I mean, just think about it, with PC you have to worry about compatability and system requirements and all that jazz. With consoles, however, you just purchas the game and play it. Far simpler, and more of a true gaming prespective. Not to mention easy on the wallet. However, PC's definity have their advantages. I take one look at Tomb Raider on my computer and I get all gitty like a school girl. It's just so pertty! And of course there are all the extras, such as the Tomb Raider Gold levels (Unfinished Buisness for Tomb Raider and similar for other Tomb Raider games) and the ability to do things such as download updates and patches for the games to work out bugs and what not. Online play is DEFINITLY a perk for a lot of games. Playing with others from around the world can give you a sense of community, something that, in my opinion, is lacking now a days. Hell, this fourm and discussions such as this are great. I had better stop before I ramble on into the world of social philosphies more than I already have.

-MSTIRLNG

Reply 11 of 67, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

That's one of those little things I noticed throughout the PC version. Just an example: in the Cistern, both versions begin with the 'water dripping' ambient sound. You push a couple of blocks then you enter the cistern itself by walking on a bridge. Right there, the PSX version features a short tune of 'amazement' (much like the many ones present in TR2).

Yes, I remember that. Just incredible Real shame they didn't move all the audio across to the PC version. Glidos can recognise game textures and perform some action as a particular textures is renderd (such as play a sound track); I was thinking one day to
get all the sound tracks off the PS versions and then set up something to play them at the right time in the game. Big job, though: I think it will remain in theory.

Looking back, the PSX version is full of such instances which are quite lacking on the PC version. Of course this is no Glidos' fault. And frankly, now that I enjoyed the 'Glidos version', I will have a hard time trading it for the PSX one 😀

I wish ePSXe could play the sound tracks off the PS version of TR. I couldn't make it work. And then there's the jumpy textures because the base resolution is lower than the PC version.

Reply 15 of 67, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

Why don't we just turn Glidos into a PSX emulator? That might be easier. Hmmmm, would be interesting to play some of my PSX games with the kinds of graphics that my computer is capable of. Ahh well, maybe in the next lifetime!

-MSTIRLNG

Have you tried ePSXe? It is really very good.

Reply 17 of 67, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Why don't we just turn Glidos into a PSX emulator? That might be easier.

*heh* No, it wouldn't. It would be like trying make a Mac emulator out of GliDOS. The Playstation is a very, very different beast from a 3dfx-equipped PC.

Reply 19 of 67, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CDRSapu is the best CDROM plugin I've found and even it won't run the audio tracks quite right in Tomb Raider. They queue off and play at the wrong times, but some of them play properly too.

At least that's how it is on my PCs.