VOGONS

Common searches

glidos $$$

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I recently installed a lot of my old games on my new system and was happy with all of them except for Carmageddon.

I've been using VDMsound for ages for a lot of my old games (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle etc) and got Carmageddon working fine. But, of course, I wasn't gonna settle for crappy graphics on a P4 system.

So I stumbled upon Glidos and after a little hassle I managed to get it working fine with the 3Dfx patch and the latest version of Glidos.

Now my only problem is the logo (btw good job .. I don't think it could get more irritating). Of course, I realise the effort you must have put in in programming it but I don't want to pay $10 just to play one game.

So is there any chance I could get me a free key?

Cheers in advance and if not .. I'll give up.

Incidentally, as a feature for your next version you might want to let the user specify the path to the game rather than hard coding it ... i.e. Glidos was looking for Carmageddon in c:\intrplay\carma whereas I had installed it on my second partition.

With the way my partitions are configured I had a bitch of a time freeing up ~280 MB for Camageddon and still having enough free space for the swap file.

Reply 1 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay:

1. Money

The pain of paying for 1 game is a well known issue. It basically comes down to wether or not the $10 you invest in GliDos will provide $10 worth of enjoyment in that one game (if you only plan on playing one game). This is something that you will have to decide for yourself.

2. Logo

Yep, hehe. That logo sure is fun. The first few levels of Tomb Raider the logo is disabled but for all of the other games the logo is enabled. I believe that Paul is working on disabling the logo for the other games but I have no idea what the progress is on that. Considering how difficult that is he may just make GliDos available for free before he starts playing around with the logo in all of those games....heh.

3. Path

You can change the path statements to wherever you wish. At least in the version I tested with awhile back.

Thanks for posting your thoughts!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 37, by Unregistered

User metadata

1. I guess thats a pretty easy descision. I'm gonna sit on it and if/when Glidos is made free .. I'll play Carmageddon then. TDR2000 will keep me busy until then 😁

2. I hope he makes it free soon.

3. I see now that you can change the path but you have to edit the .ini files .. something that may not be apparent to everyone.

Cheers and thanks for the response.

Incidentally .. I just had a thought after reading something in another thread. Glidos is a Glide wrapper for dos based games. Carmageddon also has a win95 executable. Now the 3Dfx patch for Carmageddon presumably updates that win95 executable as well. So would'nt I be able to use a windows Glide wrapper like Openglide to play the win95 version of Carmageddon?

Reply 4 of 37, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You had the title wrong, its 10 not 3. 😁

Anyway, I can't really see myself making Glidos free, and 10$ is really very little. If I do a rough calculation of how much I make from Glidos, divided by the hours of work, it comes out much much lower than the minimum wage in the UK, so bringing in less isn't attractive. I'm an idiot to do this stuff really because it detracts me from my real work, which is rather better paid.

I understand the dilemma "can I warrant spending x on y". As DosFreak says, you have to decide for yourself. One extra thing to consider: there are one or two levels of Carmageddon which don't work through Glidos (no idea why) and you have to play them in software mode. I'm not sure I woaul buy Glidos for just Carmageddon, but on that other hand you'd be supporting work that maybe you'd think worth while.

And yeh, I ought to document the ini file stuff, but I've been hoping for ages to update the UI to allow all the settings to be changed without going to the ini file.

Reply 5 of 37, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hey, if I had $10 to give you, I'd save it and get Vice City instead. Why do you think I'm playing old games?? 😁

Having said that, were I not so badly strapped for cash (you must remember what it was like being a student) I would gladly support your project.

Cheers anyways.

Reply 7 of 37, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget to point out the lack of alternatives, Paul. If it was so simple to do what you do, there'd be a half-dozen GliDOS "clones" out there. I think a major source of the grumbling seems to be that people still think of GliDOS as just another "Glide Wrapper" and that it doesn't require a lot of effort.

Reply 10 of 37, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's see what 10 USD$ gets you in various countries:
In France: 1 packet of cigarettes
Pluses: Some people (espeically French) may think you look cool
Minuses: Your money goes up in smoke and you will porbably get some for of cancer

In Germany: About 4 liters of gasoline (petrol)
Pluses: No speed limits on some highways so you really a-go-go-go
Minuses: The camper in front of you is only going 100 kmh/55 mph

In the US: Over a month of Internet
Pluses: Lots of pr0n if you into that sort of thing
Minuses: Too much pr0n of the wrong kind cxan put you in jail (and probably rightly so)

This may be more or less interesting, but for the average male in 99% of the world where alcohol can be drunk I would so the most valid form of determining the value of anything is how much BEER you can get for that.
For 10 USD$ in the UK (outside of London) that is a good 2 to 3 pints.
In Germany it's 3 to 4 half-liter glasses.

In the US on qurater beer night that is a lot of beer, but hey, it's probably Coors or Pabst so it's quantity over quality.

My point is I don't care who you are or what your situation is. If you don't have 10 USD$ you shouldn't have a computer because you are living outside of your means. The electirc bill alone for the computer could run you 10USD$ in a month or two.

Stop eating chips, smoking or drinking for one night, don't rent that movie for ONE night. Maybe walk instead of driving for two days and BAM the 10 USD$ are there!

Reply 12 of 37, by Nyarlathotep

User metadata

I love your Glidos program! It runs Redguard for me, a game that I've been searching for so long. Sadly, I have to run it with the Logo, not because I don't have the money (it's not THAT much, is it), but because I don't have a credit card (= no paypal) 🙁

All I want to say is: Great job on Glidos! After a while, I can trick my mind that there is no logo 😁