VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've given up trying to get Blood 3dfx to run in DOS glide on my Voodoo2s. The "Out of memory for current_texture_data in setGlideTexInfo" crash defeated me. 🙁

So on to Glidos! 😁

I'm very impressed by how much better the texture filtering is on Glidos than on the Voodoos. It is especially noticable on the text and signs in the game. Nice!

However I have a few issues.

The sound stutters and the game is jerky. And the spooky CD game music doesn't play.

My system:
Windows 98lite
Intel SE440BX-2
P3 600
256MB PC100
GeForce2 GTS (30.82 Detonators)
Quantum3D Obsidian2 200SBi (single card Voodoo2 SLI)
80GB WD Caviar JB HDD
Teac 32X CD-ROM drive

No programs running in the background (I like a responsive system)!

Is my system too puny to run the game in Glidos? Will paying up and removing the logo help the speed? Why doesn't the music play?

TIA

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 1 of 14, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay okay. So I forgot my sound card details! 😮

Onboard Yamaha DS-XG sound. This works perfectly in full DOS for my DOS games. It works perfectly in Windows with all my Windows games. It plays the DOS VESA and Voodoo card glide (until it crashes) versions of Blood smoothly in both DOS and Windows.

But it's crackly, stuttery and very loud in Glidos. And the game is jerky.

Forget the CD music question though. I don't think the Blood 3dfx executable plays the music (or the in-game cut scenes). I've been playing in DOS VESA mode so thought there ought to be music. But with the glide version there isn't any to be had methinks. 🙁

So I guess the question is... is my system too slow to use Glidos?

Thanks again!

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 2 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm very impressed by how much better the texture filtering is on Glidos than on the Voodoos. It is especially noticable on the text and signs in the game. Nice!

At last! I'm glad someone likes it. That is the most sophisticated piece of code in Glidos.

However I have a few issues. […]
Show full quote

However I have a few issues.

The sound stutters and the game is jerky. And the spooky CD game music doesn't play.

My system:
Windows 98lite
Intel SE440BX-2
P3 600
256MB PC100
GeForce2 GTS (30.82 Detonators)
Quantum3D Obsidian2 200SBi (single card Voodoo2 SLI)
80GB WD Caviar JB HDD
Teac 32X CD-ROM drive

No programs running in the background (I like a responsive system)!

Is my system too puny to run the game in Glidos? Will paying up and removing the logo help the speed? Why doesn't the music play?

TIA

That's strange for that to happen on Windows 98. If you have the audio set up as a Sound Blaster 16, try making it a Pro.

The CD music: can you play the disc as a CD, when not running Blood?

Reply 3 of 14, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for responding.

The options I'm offered by the game's Setup program are as follows-

"Choose Sound FX Card

Gravis Ultrasound
Sound Blaster
Sound Man 16
Pro Audio Spectrum
Awe 32
Soundscape

Choose Music Card

Gravis Ultrasound
Sound Blaster
Sound Man 16
Pro Audio Spectrum
Awe 32
Soundscape
Wave Blaster
General Midi
Sound Canvas
Adlib"

I've tried Sound Blaster and Awe 32 for sound effects and Sound Blaster and General Midi for music. In all cases the sound was stuttering and crackly and the game ran jerkily.

I have no IRQ conflicts. The Yamaha drivers have been amazing and, unlike all other sound cards I've owned, have never presented problems.

The PCI Audio Codec is on IRQ 10 by itself
More relevantly the "Legacy Sound System" is on IRQ 5 by itself

I have no problems with other DOS games within Windows as regards sound. Indeed Blood itself works perfectly within Windows with no sound issues both in VESA modes and on the Voodoo2s (up until the Voodoo2 texture crash).

So it does rather look like either my system isn't muscular enough or else Glidos doesn't like my sound card. 🙁

Can't find any playable music on the game CD. But again the music works fine in the game within Windows if I play the VESA version of the game.

Reply 4 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Athlon 800 runs Blood via Glidos nice and smoothly, so I'd have thought your P3 600 was man enough for the job.

Glidos doesn't get involved in the audio side at all under Windows 98 so it isn't compatiblility.

Do you have nView enabled? That can cause an overhead on the WIndows side.

Reply 5 of 14, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glidos said:

Glidos doesn't get involved in the audio side at all under Windows 98 so it isn't compatiblility.

Well in that case I'm completely mystified.

I say again-
I can run Blood in VESA mode under Windows 98 with no sound distortion/corruption.

I can run Blood 3dfx on my Voodoo2s under Windows 98 with no sound distortion/corruption.

But if I run Blood 3dfx using Glidos then the sound is crackly, erratic and distorted. And the game is laggy.

No, I don't have nView or anything running apart from Explorer and Systray.

It's a complete mystery, eh? And very frustrating since I can see how good the game looks under Glidos. Don't we just love PCs! 🙄

Reply 6 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It may be that your legacy support pipes the audio from DOS into Windows, and that Glidos is stealing CPU from it. Does Blood have any setting for audio buffer sizes? Fiddling in that area might help.

The lagginess is mysterious too. I haven't tried Blood under W98 for ages. I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Reply 7 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by procerus very frustrating since I can see how good the game looks under Glidos.

I don't get this. While I see some nice things about the Alpha 3dfx patch/hack, I wouldn't want to give up my 1024x768 resolution and Voxel support for it.

Reply 8 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I don't get this. While I see some nice things about the Alpha 3dfx patch/hack, I wouldn't want to give up my 1024x768 resolution and Voxel support for it.

Why would you give up your 1024x768 res?

Reply 9 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos Why would you give up your 1024x768 res?

Well, probably because I couldn't get it to work with the patch/hack and GliDOS. Even when I got the patch working, I still didn't like the visual effect it created. It's better than "Shadow Warrior", but it's still a hack and I still find myself going back to software mode every time.

Reply 11 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos But then you may not have actually seen what it looks like with bilinear interpolation. It seemed a big improvement to me.

I suppose I could give it another shot when I get the chance. I just remember a lot unpleasant fighting to get it to work.

Don't get me wrong Paul, your efforts are appreciated. It's just that this seems like trying to make rocket fuel from peanut butter oil.

Reply 14 of 14, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks much better than the pixellated VESA mode version to me (and, yes, I'm running that at 1024x768). But then I think 3dfx Shadow Warrior is an improvement over the vanilla version.

Probably something to do with my dramatic, epiphanic 3dfx conversion in 1996 when I first installed a Voodoo card and saw Quake transformed. I just like my surfaces fuzzy! 😁