VOGONS

Common searches

Lara in 3D?

Topic actions

First post, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I kicked things off with Tomb Raider Anniversary, because, let's face it, if ever there was a game that cried out for realistic 3D it's Tomb Raider! To say that Lara makes an impression on this screen is an understatement of epic proportions, and her curves have simply never looked so real. But it wasn't just Lara that impressed, the level of depth in the image is quite staggering, giving you a real sense of distance between objects in the foreground and those in the background.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review … n-3D-Monitor/p1

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 1 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately the excessively glossy coating on this screen doesn't just make it impossible to recommend for general Windows use, but it also severely affects the 3D aspect, since if you have the slightest hint of ambient light in your room, you're constantly distracted by the reflection of your own face and everything behind you.

Ununsable in that form. Screw the 3D effect, i say. (btw: wrong forum?)

Reply 2 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually not the wrong forum by some freak chance. I was just on the point of announcing that I've updated psVoodoo and Glidos to support the Zalmon monitors. I was sent one as part of my real work, and I was very disappointed to see that 3D game support seemed to be only for nVidia cards and not for the later models like 8800, so I just had to update psVoodoo to drive it. I haven't tested many games. Unreal, TR1 and Redguard work very nicely. Descent II doesn't. Don't know about the rest.

Reply 5 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I may be able to do a version for normal monitors that gives two small images side by side that work to some degree by your going cross eyed, but I haven't had a chance to look into that properly

Reply 6 of 10, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...Zalmon monitors. I was sent one as part of my real work...

perhaps it is otios to ask, but what by chance is your real work ?

remember those 'magic eye' pictures ? a fellow http://www.photostuff.co.uk/stereo.htm here says that they work due to the brains 'need' to match up vertical edges . I once used a bastard version of the algorythm to make a very short magic eye animation ( a moving sphere ) . It was extremely hard on the brain the image was nearly impossible to keep "locked on" , although....

the newer magic eye pictures are much more advanced and since it is a composite image I wonder if it is possible to add that concept to the frames in a video game .

Reply 7 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Real job is for Picsel working on browsing software and UIs for mobile phones. Just lately they've gotten interested in stereo images, and hence sent me a monitor.

Glad you reminded me about those magic eye pictures. I have a book of them somewhere that I must dig out.

Reply 8 of 10, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you should check out the magic eye website . They are VERY proprietary about their techniques, but the nature and quality of the images has seen dramatic increases in recent years .

I lack the capacity to try this , but if one runs the monitor at 120 Hz then generates a stereoscopic image (from automatically slightly offsetting the camera veiw of the game scene)causing the alternate images to run at 60Hz .

does this simply cause the screen to look blurry ? if so is there a speed at which the bluurryness goes away ? and at slightly a different angle: perhaps a magic eye , image could be generated on the fly and inserted every other frame .

just some off the top of the head steam but fun gedunke-ing anyway 😀