Tomb Raider High Res Texture Project

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 109, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have a real life?? Lucky sod 😁

Hey, any chance of just regenerating your current release of textures using the alpha mask facility, so that I can release Glidos v1.26? It'd be nice, but it ain't desperate.

Reply 81 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it may be 'real' but it's not exciting.... sorting out job seekers allowance and searching for a job is not the most interesting way to spend one's time....

I can do the alpha thing over the next couple of weeks I think. Will let you know when I do it.

Reply 82 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick update -- had no time to do anything on TRX recently. However, I hope to return to it in April, when I will finish the caves level completely (with all items, creatures, Lara, etc), and re-release that with Alpha transparency.

After that, it's anyone's guess when I'll do the next levels, but they will keep coming (slowly).

http://www.tombraiderxtra.com/

Reply 83 of 109, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any chance you could first release an alpha transparency version of just the textures you already have. I have a new version of Glidos I'd like to release, but I don't really want to back out the alpha stuff.

Reply 85 of 109, by TR Junkie

User metadata

Seems like were waiting for Matthew to s__t or get off the pot in his release of the alpha version of the caves before glidos can release his 1.26 version.
Come on guys. This beta version of the caves has been around since Dec.2003.
All of us - being users and contributors suffer for the lack of enthusiasim being given to this TRX project.
LETS GO GET IT DONE!!!!!!

Reply 86 of 109, by Guest

User metadata

No I think we are waiting for Matthew to find another period of time where he is willing to disappear into this project forsaking the rest of his life. That's also asking him to put it before sorting out a proper income. This isn't the sort of thing where you can do it grabbing a couple of hours here and there. Its not really fair to hassle him.

All I'm asking, Matthew, is that when you find time to get back to it, please release an alpha version of what you have before going onto complete the caves.

Reply 87 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TR Junkie, I am ONE guy doing this for my own enjoyment. If anyone else benefits from it, great. But putting pressure on me won't get this done any sooner, if anything I'll be disinclined to bow to pressure from people who seem to expect something for nothing.

I have plenty of enthusiasm for this project, but other important things like finding a well paid job and sorting out my life kind of take priority right now.

As I said, this is a hobby I'm doing for my own enjoyment. You have no right to demand anything from me. And anyway, didn't you even read the earlier posts above? Sounds like you're just trolling to me...

http://www.tombraiderxtra.com/

Reply 88 of 109, by TR Junkie

User metadata

Sorry if I seemed a bit impatient with your progress.
Since I dont know what your actual life situation is, it is not in my best interest to be critical at this point and I do not wish to jeopardize the project in any way.
By the way I am a contributor to your project and would be willing to contribute more as it is the greatest thing to happen to TR since Glidos.
If it seemed like I was "trolling" which I assume means looking for answers,perhaps I was but not in a negative way.
Good luck Matthew.

Reply 89 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, your reply was pretty ill considered: "We're waiting for Matthew to s__t or get off the pot" -- that's pretty insulting in anyone's language. However, thank you for your apology and your contribution.

As for "trolling", it refers to someone popping up on a forum, deliberately saying something inflammatory to get arguments going, then sitting back and watching the sparks fly.

Reply 91 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Version 1.26 of Glidos has been released, and I've updated the Caves texture pack to the new format/version.

www.glidos.net
www.resonantedge.com/trx/

Reply 92 of 109, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, it's good to be back for some new testing... 😎

Glidos wrote:

On the transparency issue. A version of Glidos I have here, but haven't yet released, doesn't respond to the magic 966432 colour if you use png files. That colour (and all the ones close to it) actually give solid visible texture.

Works great! No holes in my painting frame anymore. However, that 966432 colour is not recognized anymore as the transparency colour for BMP textures either. Perhaps it's an intended behaviour. In any case, I don't regret it, it was more painful than useful. And PNG is so much better. Alpha channel works like a charm with PNG textures. This is fab!

Minor problem with transparent PNG textures (eg. the bridge): Lara's shadow only appears on the transparent part of the textures, not on the solid part 😕

OpenGlide is still the same 0.09rc6 version. I assume that full 24-bit is not supported by Glidos yet? The TRX title screen (especially Lara's skin) tends to say so.

The corner bug that affected the 64x64 textures seems to be history, woot! 😁

Overall, great job guys. Matt, take your time, I know how it feels to be drowned in such a project. Paul, what about trying to squeeze some more fps out of OpenGlide and implementing 24-bit palette? 😀

Reply 93 of 109, by Guest

User metadata

Good to see you back.

The change in behaviour of BMP textures wasn't intended. I'll need to have a look at what I've done there.

Also not sure how I cured the corner bug, although that may be a side effect of the BMP thing.

The shadow. That's because any polygons that use shades of transparency and not just alpha as a mask have to be delayed and rendered last. I could perhaps special case the shadow to get it back on top because nothing else in TR1 is rendered in the same way as the shadow.

I think using palettes for texture override would slow things down: Glide doesn't allow palettes to be assigned to textures; there is just the one palette, so Glidos would be sending palette changes to OpenGlide on almost every polygon. Might be able to do something by extending Glide (a new hint value maybe).

Reply 96 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick update on the project: I posted a note on the website stating that I'm now working on texturing Lara, and I hope to have her done over the weekend (assuming it's not sunny, in which case I will be out!).

Once that's done I'll post some screenshots for feedback, as this is one thing that really has to be correct. I know how precious about Lara some people are, so if I make too many changes, it might upset people! 😀 Anyway, back to her breasts...

Reply 97 of 109, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In some places Lara has rectangular textures mapped onto trapezium-shaped faces. For those you will need to perform a series of corrective transformations. When you run into that, let me know, I can tell you how its done.

Reply 98 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the eyes are a real pain as they are cut in half and one part is flipped upside down. I tried these a while back but couldn't get it looking right.

I've found that a combination of screengrabs and simply using the existing rectangular images is enough to know how to get the textures looking OK.

What things are you thinking of specifically?

BTW, will it be OK to create separate threads for the TRX project on this forum? IE, for feedback on Lara, Creatures, etc?