Common searches

RB3D continued

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 146, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

The passthrough would have been ont of those 15pin conectors though, wouldn't it. I'm wondering whether USB means that now you can just connect up any number of things. I guess there might be trouble with competing versions of control-mapping software.

The CH Products pedals: they say racing or airplane mode. I wonder if that is a physical alteration so that in airplane mode pressing one pedal makes the other rise. Not going to be very realistic otherwise. In a helicopter, you tend to rest your foot on one pedal and do most of the control with the other... although maybe that means I could just map one pedal.

I don't know. Twisty grip sounds good for now, as long as it doesn't rule out adding pedals later.

You *CAN* use peddals with the Sidewinder PP, ja!

😁 😁

I would like to try a set of peddals, but I have yet to see a set under $100(US)!!

🙁

Reply 41 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VonHelton wrote:
You *CAN* use peddals with the Sidewinder PP, ja! […]
Show full quote

You *CAN* use peddals with the Sidewinder PP, ja!

😁 😁

I would like to try a set of peddals, but I have yet to see a set under 0(US)!!

🙁

I think I can feel a Sidewinder purchase coming on. 😀

Reply 42 of 146, by pauljle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I think I can feel a Sidewinder purchase coming on. 😀

I love flight sims and have used sidewinders (1 original 3D Pro still works on my P1 233MMX, and 1 USB sidewder on my AMD TBird 1.4) I haven't tried force feedback though-cost and I think it might further detract from my marginal flying skills!

Glidos--thanks for making Red Baron fly again!:)

Reply 44 of 146, by pauljle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hehehe--that's a bit much! I usually stick to small aircraft with guns but sometimes it's neat to fly civil air over interesting or familiar places--anyone remember the SDOE mod with the pyramids? There were only two instead of Cheops' and two lessers IIRC

Reply 45 of 146, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heres a link to Jgro's site with a very nice build your own rudder pedals tutorial http://www.jgrosaerodrome.50megs.com/ I haven't tried it myself though, i'm pretty happy with my old MS PP twist stick, I think Timex built it. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

Reply 47 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Paul, if you're interested in that much realism, maybe you should build one of these. 😁

Haven't the time, although I did build these for a friend. He'd just bought MS flight sim 2000, and I was looking for a way to thank him for 10 hours free tuition in his Schweitzer 300 (spelt wrong I'm sure).

Trouble was I based the cyclic on a very cheap joystick, and the whole thing turned out crap.

Attachments

• dscf0017.jpg
    Filename
    dscf0017.jpg
    File size
    81.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 48 of 146, by Unregistered

User metadata

Greetings - just want to say that this wrapper is great, works brilliantly makes a big difference to RB.

BUT for some reason I don't get any fog around the edge of the terrain - in all the screen shots I've seen, the terrain ends at the visibility limit in fog, but for me, no fog, just hard edged squares (with texture on them) then a row of squares without textures (plain green or brown), then plain white. Doesn't look very nice... All other things seem to work fine - haven't seen any problems at all (though I haven't tested it a huge amount..).

I'm using TNT2 32MB, W98, PIII 500, 256MB RAM.

Is this likely to be a drivers issue? My drivers probably aren't v recent.

Reply 49 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

BUT for some reason I don't get any fog around the edge of the terrain - in all the screen shots I've seen, the terrain ends at the visibility limit in fog, but for me, no fog, just hard edged squares (with texture on them) then a row of squares without textures (plain green or brown), then plain white

Fog is done using an OpenGL extension. The driver for your card might not support that extension. In your RB folder, a new file will have appearted called OpenGLid.LOG. Look in there for the key word GL_EXT_fog_coord. If it isn't there then that explains your lack of fog. You might find that updated drivers solve the problem. Sometimes going back a version can help. You could also have a look on the GL setup site. This might be fixable in the warpper using two passes; I'll have to talk to Fabio about this.

Reply 50 of 146, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Fog is done using an OpenGL extension. The driver for your card might not support that extension. In your RB folder, a new file will have appearted called OpenGLid.LOG. Look in there for the key word GL_EXT_fog_coord. If it isn't there then that explains your lack of fog. You might find that updated drivers solve the problem. Sometimes going back a version can help. You could also have a look on the GL setup site. This might be fixable in the warpper using two passes; I'll have to talk to Fabio about this.

I get this same lack of fog running the wrapper on a voodoo 3000 with the 3dfx 1.07 drivers. Rens mentioned that drivers from 3dfx after 1.04 or 1.05(can't remember which) had broken OpenGL. That GL_EXT_fog_coord isn't present in my OpenGLid.LOG.

Reply 51 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a pain. Fog is important; it makes a lot of difference. Certainly if the extension isn't mentioned in the INI file then you will get no fog.

I think we may be able to work around it in the long run, but it may take a while.

Reply 52 of 146, by US185Damiani

User metadata

I have a decent analog setup with A CH Flightstick pro with a Suncom THrottle and Thrustmaster elite pedals. the latest setup is CH's Newer USB stick throlttle and Pro Pedals. They have toe brakes and rudder action as opposed to just rudder check out
http://www.chproducts.com
a good reference to all of their fine products Analog and Digital
Salute!

Attachments

• camel.jpg
    Filename
    camel.jpg
    File size
    52.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 53 of 146, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey US185Damiani, you must a really powerful computer. I've never seen "Red Baron" look that good. I especially like the "patchy grass" texture and the "guy in shorts 3D render". Nice smoke/dust effect, too. Very realistic.

Reply 55 of 146, by US185Damiani

User metadata

LOLOLOLOL
ROFL!
I wish it was that good!
That is a picture of a full size replica Sopwith Camel. A friend from the Red Baron community took it at the Red Baron get together at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in the Hudson Valley Of New York State a wonderful way to spend a weekend. If you look closely at the engine behind the propeller you'll notice it is a Blur. That is a 1917 Gnome "Monosoupape" (french for single valve) Rotary engine, a very rare piece. They fly the airplane on that original engine every weekend from June through October every year. it is a sight and sound to behold. very worth seeing England's Shuttleworth collection also owns and flys original rotary engined airplanes. for those of you in the Grand United Kingdom! If you are interested stop by my website and check out the pictures I've posted there about it. http://www.enter.net/~curtissp40 the links are at the bottom of the page in a blue Box Go to the Rhinebeck 2002 link.
Take care

Reply 56 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hey US185Damiani, you must a really powerful computer. I've never seen "Red Baron" look that good. I especially like the "patchy grass" texture and the "guy in shorts 3D render". Nice smoke/dust effect, too. Very realistic.

No it isn't the computer; this is just Fabio's first little change to OpenGLide since he's been back. 😀

Reply 57 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
US185Damiani wrote:

I have a decent analog setup with A CH Flightstick pro with a Suncom THrottle and Thrustmaster elite pedals.

Thanks for info. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get a SideWinder joystick, and maybe go for separate throttle and/or pedals at a later date?

Reply 59 of 146, by Unregistered

User metadata
Glidos wrote:

That's a pain. Fog is important; it makes a lot of difference. Certainly if the extension isn't mentioned in the INI file then you will get no fog.

I think we may be able to work around it in the long run, but it may take a while.

Yup, no GL_EXT_fog_coord in the log for me either, so no fog... Settings in the ini are Fog = true, Fog Coord Extension = false, presumably this is because of the lack of the GL_EXT_fog_coord?

If you could find a workaround that would be great - but it's still very playable now (it matters least down low, where I always seem to end up anyway).

Thanks for the reply. (And you'll get my $10!)