VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by regular.p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm new to glidos and decided to give it a try with extreme assault but I face issue.
I've installed glidos 1.55 to c:\glidos
I've have extreme assault installed to c:\bluebyte\extreme

My config (screenshots below)
Windows 10 (1909, compilation 18363.959)
Glidos 1.55

When I try to run game by clicking on start game button, a console window starts and IMMEDIATELY disappears.
It is hard to see what is going on. From what I can tell, by clicking start game button multiple time
It looks like there is an error like "command.com is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I've tried to run glibox from d:\glibox and have game installed on d:\bluebyte\extreme but the problem persists.

What am I doing wrong ?
Also, is there a some kind of log file that could make investigation of this issue easier ? The console window disappears so quickly that is almost impossible to read it. I would be good if the problems like this were logged somewhere..

Attachments

• glidos_config.jpg
    Filename
    glidos_config.jpg
    File size
    185.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by regular.p on 2020-08-04, 13:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by regular.p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Thank you for response.
I've tried to do as you said and the game started, but it was not playable. The first mission was loaded but the screen did not switch to cockpit.
But I was really struggling ito actually run it as 'windows emluation'. Just as the person in this movie did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueeZjuJQE3A .I don;t see any dosbox window opening so I assume it uses 'Windows emluation' option.

The background of my post is this:
I can play extreme assault in dosbox (on my win10 machine) but without 3dfx emulation, and then the perfomance is really good.
I tried to play with 3dfx on (with nglide installed) . I managed to run the game but it was too slow. So I almost buried my fantasy to play this with nice graphics. And then I stumbled upon this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueeZjuJQE3A and thought "Wow , this game looks so good and fast, It must be thanks to glidos app, I will try that". But I as I see I'm not able to run this game as anything other than dosbox, which in this case works event worse than 'regular dosbox'.

Reply 7 of 12, by regular.p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glidos, I undestand what you say, but my point was to actually run the game NOT in 'DosBox' emulation but as 'Window' emulation. A guy that uploaded this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueeZjuJQE3A managed to that (presented in first few seconds of the movie) and I wanted to do the same. My question is why the "windows" emulation does not work in glidos for extreme assault and what needs to be done to make this work.

Reply 8 of 12, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess Windows 10 x64 removing VDM support in command prompt can no longer run any DOS EXE, so you can't use 'Windows' emulation on which GliDOS simply needs to emulate API pass-through into WIN32 DLL. Hence, without Windows VDM on x64 version, you have to use DOSBox emulation.

Reply 9 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah sorry, I see what you were asking now. kjliew is right: it's the lack of VDM (although I didn't get the "API pass-through into WIN32 DLL" bit). Still Extreme Assault runs silky smooth on my Windows 10 based machine under DOSBox, so I'm not sure what's causing your problems.

Reply 10 of 12, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea what had happen. I found that the 'Tab' or 'Q' targeting key failed to work properly in the game with DOSBox and QEMU, OpenGlide or dgVoodoo2. I am sure I remember that it worked before. Running software rendering (XA.EXE) is fine. The game runs smooth regardless, but without targeting working in Glide mode hardware acceleration. I am running with recent 64-bit DOSBox SVN and latest QEMU 5.0.0.

Reply 11 of 12, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-08-04, 22:47:

I found that the 'Tab' or 'Q' targeting key failed to work properly in the game with DOSBox and QEMU, OpenGlide or dgVoodoo2.

I think I had this same problem with some 3Dfx emulation in DOSBox but some other option worked. Maybe nGlide wrapper worked and kekko's chip emulation didn't or vice versa.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 12 of 12, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote on 2020-08-05, 15:09:

I think I had this same problem with some 3Dfx emulation in DOSBox but some other option worked. Maybe nGlide wrapper worked and kekko's chip emulation didn't or vice versa.

This is very strange. Only Kekko's voodoo1 chip emulation works, all Glide wrappers (dgVoodoo1, dgVoodoo2, nGlide and OpenGlide) failed. Tested with 32-bit x86 DOSBox. I am pretty sure all of them worked previously. Extreme Assault was the the game of focus during gulikoza's Glide pass-through for DOSBox, and dgVoodoo1 also came around that time.

Target-able enemies/objects have a faint white circle around them. They showed up with voodoo1 chip emulation but all the glide wrappers just didn't get them.