VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by marvintheandroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I'm trying to get TR original working with Glidos (unregistered) - but it keeps locking the system, either when starting the game (opening menu) or when trying to exit the game. When it locks it seems to bring everything to a standstill, so I have to hit reset.

Athlon XP1600 / Gf4 Ti4200 / WinXP SP1.

I am using detonator drivers 41.09

Cheers

Marvin

Reply 1 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by marvintheandroid When it locks it seems to bring everything to a standstill, so I have to hit reset.

You shouldn't have to perform a hard reset. If it locks, attempt a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager and use that to kill off your locked program.

If it doesn't appear to come up, try to "Alt-Tab" back to the Desktop.

Also, try renaming your tombraider directory temporarily, then attempt a plain, no-sound, DOS install (no soundcard chosen, no attempt to use GliDOS. See if you can get the basic program to run without audio.

Reply 2 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, also, it could be that GliDOS is locking up your system by taking up 100% of your system resources, in which case it's extremely helpful to open the Task Manager before running the program (it runs like another program in Windows NT/2K/XP, which has both its advantages and disadvantages -- the advantage, you can have it open all the time in the background and it doesn't halt the system when it's open. The disadvantage, it has no more priority than anything else when loading and therefore can be impossible to load when a program has decided to take up all of the system resources).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 19, by Nigel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quote: ".... or when trying to exit the game."

So does that mean you actually get to play TR1 ? If NOT it could be the Nvidia Vesa switching bug. Which version of Glidos are you trying? It was fixed in th last two releases.

If you ARE getting to install and play then the problem sounds like either a video switching problem again or some dreaded audio resource thingy, known to lock up a PC at the drop of a hat. Try the VDM driver for you sounds.

Reply 4 of 19, by marvintheandroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help. Yes it was taking up 100% resources. I don't know what did it, but after hours of fiddling with settings it now works a treat. I have set up joystick using a KB emulator, but now I'm having trouble with sound.

I was getting nosound through GliDOS. I've now just installed VDMSound, it runs from DOSDRV whan TR/ GliDOS starts and the startup messages say it has loaded correctly. However no sound whatsoever.

The CD is in the first drive, which does have an audio cable, and the volume is on max for each channel.

What have I missed ? It must be something obvious....

Marvin

Reply 6 of 19, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marvintheandroid wrote:

What have I missed ? It must be something obvious....

Sure... Did you run the TR setup.exe program? Obviously, you need to run it after launching VDMS 😀

Edit: oops, didn't see your last post 🙁

Reply 7 of 19, by marvintheandroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Help help help help help

I want to buy Glidos coz it's brilliant but obviously there's no point if I can't get the sound working.

I can't even get the 'Right, lets get adventuring' message in Setup (it worked in the non-Glidos setup, but not in Glidos). Now I'm on lev 3 and I've got the spinning thingy.

DOS Messages at Startup:

VDMSound DOS loader, version 2.01 (Aug 04 2001)
Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Vlad ROMASCANU.

VDMSound is covered by the GNU Public License (GPL)
published by the Free Software Foundation, Inc. (ht

Loading 'VDDLoader.dll'...
Successfully loaded & initialized (hVDD = 0x01).

C:\TOMBRAID\>gldvesa.exe Tomb.exe
DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.97
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994
Glidos VESA support starting
DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.97
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994

Glidos LOG:

Starting Glide Server v1.19.1 (c) Paul Gardiner 2001-2002
VESA mode 0x101
VESA mode 0x101
VESA mode 0x110
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
Number of color buffers = 2
Number of aux buffers = 1
VESA cmd 4F07, 0, 0, 0
VESA mode 0x110
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
VESA cmd 4F07, 0, 0, 0
VESA mode 0x101
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
GlideShutdown

The game now runs like a dream at 1024X768 but utterly and completely silent. I can't see what's wrong.

Marvin the thicky.

Reply 8 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by marvintheandroid Help help help help help

You might have to wait until Paul gets back from his "holiday" time off.

Pauls uses VDMSound for audio with NT/2000/XP and you said you've gotten audio with VDMSound (non-GliDOS), so odds are something in one of your configuration files is hosed.

Try running the game's setup program with VDMSound, let it auto-detect the card and it's settings (save them). It should auto-detect a SoundBlaster 16 and work properly.

After that, quit and try GliDOS again (without VDMSound, as GliDOS is already using the command line version of VDMSound).

Reply 9 of 19, by Unregistered

User metadata

Trouble is, I am here, and not saying anything because all the advice is right on the nail. I just can't think of a reason why VDMSound would be working but you get no sound.

I'm on somebody else's phone line, so I'll reread the thread offline and maybe come back with some ideas.

Reply 10 of 19, by marvintheandroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK thanks,

Just to clear up a small misunderstanding, when I said I got the 'Right lets get adventuring' message in setup, that was using native DOS drivers for SB, not VDMS. The sound was crackly and awful but it was there.

So far I haven't had a peep out of VDMS.

When I autodetect sound using the Voodoo version of Tomb in Glidos, it finds no sound card.

Are you suggesting that I should start VDMS manually, then run setup on a non-Glidos installation of the game, autodetect then save the settings ? As far as I can tell the resulting HMISET file would be identical to the one I've got now, except possibly IRQ 5 instead of 7, but I'll give it a try and get back to you.

In space travel, the numbers are awful.

Marvin.

Reply 11 of 19, by marvintheandroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No dice.

When I run setup in a plain vanilla non-Glidos version, the Autodetect option crashes the setup program (probably because it ain't genuine DOS).

However I can get the scratchy confirmation message as previously stated, on SB, DMA1, IRQ5.

In Glidos I believe IRQ7 is better, but I've tried both 5 and 7 to no avail.

Marvin - feeling a little depressed.

Reply 13 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by marvintheandroid When I run setup in a plain vanilla non-Glidos version, the Autodetect option crashes the setup program ...However I can get the scratchy confirmation message as previously stated, on SB, DMA1, IRQ5.

You were running the setup with VDMSound and AutoDetect crashes it? That's not right.

I'd suspect the GIVEIO.SYS issue except you're saying that the native XP emulation seems to be working. Hrmm...

Need Paul and Vlad's input on this...

Reply 14 of 19, by marvintheandroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have MBM5 but I've stopped it loading with windows. There are no references calling giveio.sys in the registry or in MSConfig and it is not listed in the background processes in task manager.

Would it be worth uninstalling MBM5 completely? Are there versions of MBM which are 'safe' ?

Marv.

Reply 17 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We need some confirmation of the status of your DOS audio.

For some "quick and easy" titles to test, try the CHAMP games at http://www.champ-em.com/

They're small SoundBlaster/PC speaker only titles that seem very easy to run on XP. They work fine with sound; with or without VDMSound in XP. They auto-configure for sound, so no manual changes are needed.

Try them first without VDMSound, they should automatically use XP's built-in emulation.

After that, try using VDMSound on the game executables.

Do you get Digital audio with both? either? neither?

Reply 18 of 19, by marvintheandroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Galaxians and Asterock.

Sound was heard through PC internal speaker only, nothing at all through the system speakers.

Here is the readme file for my Artis 738S1 sound card, however the setup program doesn't seem to do anything. No entries have been added to Autoexec.bat or Config.sys, they are both completely blank.

I thought VDM sound was supposed to be independant of hardware and drivers ?

Now I'm confused as well as depressed.

Marvin

----------------------

4.1. DOS Installation
Before beginning the installation, please make sure that your hard disk has sufficient space (min. 4MB). Insert the Driver CD into the CD-ROM Drive.
1. Change directory to PCI audio DOS drivers folder (ex.
D:\DOSDRV) at DOS prompt, and type: INSTALL [Enter]
2. Type DOS utilities path you want to install the file in.
3. Program will expand the file to the path you've specified.
4. Install program will add initial drivers into AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

---------------------

PCI audio DOS utilities instructions

* SETAUDIO.COM

DOS initial program

The following are the parameters format:
/Gx : x=0 disable game port, x=1 enable (default)
/Mx : x=0 disable MPU-401 MIDI port, x=1 enable (default)
/IOxxx : Set SB I/O port to 220(default),240,260 or 280.
/FMxxx : Set FM I/O port to 388(default),3C8,3E0 or 3E8.
/MPUxxx : Set MPU-401 MIDI port to 330(default),320,310,300.

-------------------------

Reply 19 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no AUTOEXEC.BAT nor CONFIG.SYS in Windows NT/2K/XP. Disregard everything you've read in that README. I'm honestly surprised your sound card still works. Your problem definitely sounds like a GIVEIO.SYS-esque thing.

Yes, it’s my fault.