wrong version of "Tomb.exe"???

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by fridgeraider
[BDoes this mean I should cough up for a Glidos purchase?
- I don't mind chipping in some - I really would like to play TR1 with smoother graphics.

Not until you have it working. Getting rid of the logo won't speed things up. If you are getting as far as the menu ring in TR, you could access Lara's sunglasses and checkk that mipmapping isn't on... but no that's not going to help really; unaccelerated OpenGL just isn't going to do it.

Reply 21 of 33, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fridgeraider wrote:

I tried using the ati driver from the TR1 CD

Huh!? But this one is so ooooooooold! For God's sake, just grab the latest one from ATI, it was released in April 2002 and supports accelerated OpenGL. Can't be worse than what you already get, right?

Reply 22 of 33, by Nigel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now then... I had (still have actually - in it's box somewhere) an ATI Rage Pro AGP and it certainly *did* support OpenGL - I ran GLQuake perfectly at 640x480. The original driver CD was enough to offer the accelerated graphics - even by replacing the Quake MiniGL driver with the full ATI one. Also the very old OpenGL benchmarking utility called CANCUN ran on this card at about 15-46fps for 640x480 (depending on settings). Now I know this is useless these days but it proved the old card *could* run OpenGL okay.

True 8MB ain't enough really, but the included demo on the ATI CD was superb. Wouldn't run on my newer 64MB Radeon though.

As for Glidos, I've not tried it but there are many other Glide wrappers out there besides OpenGlide that emulated 3DFX on the ATI Rage chip set. I have those somewhere too but they are not much use here...

Reply 23 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please excuse my lameness & thanx for holding my hand and talking me through it all slowly 😉
- Looks like this computer is already geriatric!... I'll have to schlepp down to AcceleratedOpenGLhardware-R-Us and get me the neccesary ware

I'm going out...... I may be some time 😎

*tucks ammo and strawberry cornetto into holsters* - hasta la vista chaps

larakissicon.gif

Reply 24 of 33, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nigel wrote:

Now then... I had (still have actually - in it's box somewhere) an ATI Rage Pro AGP and it certainly *did* support OpenGL - I ran GLQuake perfectly at 640x480. The original driver CD was enough to offer the accelerated graphics - even by replacing the Quake MiniGL driver with the full ATI one. Also the very old OpenGL benchmarking utility called CANCUN ran on this card at about 15-46fps for 640x480 (depending on settings). Now I know this is useless these days but it proved the old card *could* run OpenGL okay.

Fridgeraider: do you hear this. If this is the case, you just need to find the latest drivers on the net. Got to be worth a try.

And updating the graphics card without upgrading the rest of your
system could run you into trouble.

As for Glidos, I've not tried it but there are many other Glide wrappers out there besides OpenGlide that emulated 3DFX on the ATI Rage chip set. I have those somewhere too but they are not much use here...

TR is a DOS program; Glidos is the only choice at the moment. No other wrapper supports DOS programs.

Reply 25 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀 *peeks in*
It's too bloody cold to go out in shorts!
Thanky for your advice Glidos guru - (my motherboard is a P6BX - A - and 196MB memory BTW)

I am at the moment downloading a DVD50.exe and a w95pl435.exe from ATI.com.... I confess I have no idea exactly if these are the files I need but will try to get my head round the accompanying reading matter meantime.

I did not put this PC together so I'm a bit aprehensive to tinker with the fundamentals - messing around with the files and so much rebooting caused a safe mode open - it's taken a lot of abuse from the progeny & it's remarkable that it doesn't do this more often.

If I can make do with some driver updates that make Gldos work I'll be happy for now - More radical updates are planned

Reply 27 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded and installed updated drivers - correct file, I think, (file wme-j5-30-1-b02) from ATI.com.
I wasn't sure if I had to uninstall existing drivers first, (didn't think to create back up file in case)... now I've cocked things up anyway because I can't even install the TR game from CD....ditto after removing the wme-j5-30-1-b02 file manually. When I tried to remove the ATI drivers via Control Panel before that I got "Are you sure you want to uninstall XPERT 98 AGP?"...(YES) - "This program has performed an illegal operation etc'..... 😠

I give up...It's really time to reformat and update sytem anyway... get a new flat monitor too and more RAM to run 3D animation programmes I'm learning.... I've wanted to play TR1 for soooo long - when I finally get Glidos working I'll come back and tell you...

ciao for now.....

and thanks again

A pair of glasses go up to the bar and ask for a drink ~ The barman says, "Sorry sir, I can't serve you - your'e off your face!".

Reply 28 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by fridgeraider I got "Are you sure you want to uninstall XPERT 98 AGP?"...(YES) - "This program has performed an illegal operation etc'.....

You might try uninstalling while in safe mode.

I give up...It's really time to reformat and update sytem anyway... get a new flat monitor too...

Just make sure these things work well with each other. There are many video cards that will work with a LCD screen out there...but that doesn't necessarily mean they work well with a LCD screen.

Reply 30 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a Ge force MX 400 graphics card + 64MB more memory... (motherboard to be updated soon)...
but Glidos works with TR1!!! blobman.gif

...and I can adjust gamma levels banana.gif My dreams of playing TR1 with nicer graphics have come true at last.
Thanks Paul Gardiner 😁 😎
Thanks all larakissicon.gif

A pair of glasses go up to the bar and ask for a drink ~ The barman says, "Sorry sir, I can't serve you - your'e off your face!".

Reply 31 of 33, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great job, Fridge.
Now you´re talking.

Install a good set of detonators and you´ll be smoking in no time...
(I mean runing fast...graphically speaking...🤣)

Try here:

http://www.guru3d.com

I believe the 41.09 are the best ones so far.

Glad you finally decided to join the gang 😉

Reply 32 of 33, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, 41.09 has some problems with programs (like Virtual Pinball). However, for programs that don't do whatever VP does to make it not work, it's much faster. (You can disable DirectDraw to get VP to work.) nVidia has assured people that they are working on it, however. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 33 of 33, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got problems with GLQuake and games related, like Hexen II, they don´t accept high resolutions (more than 640) with these dets, but in new games like SoF II, Mafia or Morrowind the gain is obvious.