QEMU 3Dfx Glide Pass-Through (WHPX/KVM works!!!)

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: QEMU 3Dfx Glide Pass-Through (WHPX/KVM works!!!)

Postby ruthan » 2019-2-08 @ 11:18

Hmm, its again some half backed solution, because these drivers doesnt support Direct3D at all.. so its nice for Glide games, but for Direct3D games you need something else..
PCem is more complete solution, but probably slower.

kjliew wrote:Added option to merge LFB writes to BACK buffer and deferred til buffer swap. Improved performance and compatibility of OpenGlide for games that do multiple lock/unlock within a frame (eg. Pyl, Archimedean Dynasty).

Could you share compiled windows binary? Im not used to compile something as probably most of windows users.
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
ruthan
Oldbie

Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-08 @ 13:57

:)
Attachments
qemu_compilation_guide.txt
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
robertmo
l33t

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-09 @ 09:22

;)
Attachments
qemu-system-i386_nogtk_sdl2_whpx_haxm_glide_3.7z
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
qemu_configure_make_log.txt
(45.98 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
robertmo
l33t

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-10 @ 14:17

Managed to run Win98SE with WHPX. Will provide more details of what was causing it to not work earlier after testing.
robertmo
l33t

Postby ruthan » 2019-2-10 @ 17:09

Thanks for compilation guide, its too long for long, preparation process is already long.. binary is much better.

I dunno exactly why, but hax acceleration stopped to work for me, maybe because some Windows update and now, i cant install it withou Hyper-V uninstallation, what is annoying.. I wonder, why is needed that Hyper-V uninstallation, Hax instalaltion, Hyper-V installation work arround?
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
ruthan
Oldbie

Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Postby digger » 2019-2-10 @ 17:20

robertmo wrote:Managed to run Win98SE with WHPX. Will provide more details of what was causing it to not work earlier after testing.

Brilliant work, man! Looking forward to reading the details and perhaps trying it out myself. :happy:
digger

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-10 @ 18:57

it has to be Win98SE (win98 doesn't work for me)
you have to install VBEMP9X
you have to do every changes to windows (installing drivers, changing resolution and color depth) without whpx
you can use either 256c or 16bit or 32bit colors (2c, 16c, 24bit won't work)
you can use any resolution you want (32bit doesn't work with two highest ones)
once you set everything you want you have to shut down and turn on again and shut down.
You can use whpx parameter now.
If you want to make any change again do it without whpx again.
use empty config and autoexec for easiness.
robertmo
l33t

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-10 @ 19:47

ruthan i guess you had it not installed at the beginning. Anyway use dual boot.
robertmo
l33t

Postby ruthan » 2019-2-11 @ 00:52

robertmo wrote:ruthan i guess you had it not installed at the beginning. Anyway use dual boot.

Dual boot just because of 1 program, no thanks. I find out that Hyper-V has problem with Vmware too, so its not good idea install it at all. Its probably some other stupid MS solution.
ruthan
Oldbie

Postby digger » 2019-2-11 @ 19:07

robertmo wrote:it has to be Win98SE (win98 doesn't work for me)
you have to install VBEMP9X
you have to do every changes to windows (installing drivers, changing resolution and color depth) without whpx
you can use either 256c or 16bit or 32bit colors (2c, 16c, 24bit won't work)
you can use any resolution you want (32bit doesn't work with two highest ones)
once you set everything you want you have to shut down and turn on again and shut down.
You can use whpx parameter now.
If you want to make any change again do it without whpx again.
use empty config and autoexec for easiness.

By the way, I tried installing the older VMWare SVGA 2 guest driver in a Windows 98 SE installation in a VM, under both VirtualBox and QEMU+KVM, but it didn't work. Both VirtualBox and QEMU advertise compatibility with the VMWare guest video drivers, but apparently this only works with either newer versions of the driver that no longer support Win9x or the Linux guest driver, or possibly both. It's a shame, since such a driver would perhaps have performed better than the VESA VBE driver, and possibly have provided certain video acceleration features that are not available through VBE. I got a garbled screen in VirtualBox 6 and a yellow circle with a black question mark in the device manager when I tried it with QEMU+KVM.
digger

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-11 @ 19:24

I only tried 12.05.2013 VMware SVGA II driver in qemu without success
just in case: you didn't mentioned the use of parameter
-vga vmware
Last edited by robertmo on 2019-2-12 @ 10:55, edited 2 times in total.
robertmo
l33t

Postby kjliew » 2019-2-12 @ 00:42

digger wrote:By the way, I tried installing the older VMWare SVGA 2 guest driver in a Windows 98 SE installation in a VM, under both VirtualBox and QEMU+KVM, but it didn't work. Both VirtualBox and QEMU advertise compatibility with the VMWare guest video drivers, but apparently this only works with either newer versions of the driver that no longer support Win9x or the Linux guest driver, or possibly both.

VMWare SVGA support in QEMU was reversed engineered from X11 driver source code in Linux. It works for me for Win98SE/Win2k/WinXP/Debian/Ubuntu guests, but on Windows guests QEMU would spit out warning message for particular types of region update. For Windows, you want to extract the drivers from VMWare-tools-windows ISO. I used the one from 8.3.19. There is no 3D or video decoding acceleration. It only does "host" acceleration, ie. using the host CPU for drawing primitives and cursors support.

VMWare is the commercial & propriety competing products for QEMU & VirtualBox. It is logical that the company would never contribute to QEMU/VirtualBox to keep enough differentiation from the free & open source counterparts. VirtualBox has its own VBoxSVGA paravirtualized solution, QEMU has similar QXL/VirtIO VGA, but these solution would never support Win9x guests. I believe the minimum requirement for Windows guest OS is Windows XP.
digger wrote:It's a shame, since such a driver would perhaps have performed better than the VESA VBE driver, and possibly have provided certain video acceleration features that are not available through VBE.

Using SPEEDY20 Windows GUI benchmark, the VESA VBE driver is much faster than VMWare SVGA in both the standard benchmark and the multimedia benchmark. In fact for VM, "host" acceleration matters a lot. I believe QEMU uses BOCHS dispi as its VESA VBE backend for "host" acceleration. Even the best year 2000-ish CPU/PCI graphics cannot match the speed of QEMU VESA VBE on today over 3GHz CPU and high-speed DDR4 memory.
kjliew

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-12 @ 05:27

kjliew wrote: Even the best year 2000-ish CPU/PCI graphics cannot match the speed of QEMU VESA VBE on today over 3GHz CPU and high-speed DDR4 memory.

Pentium 4 HT 3.06 GHz (year 2002) ;)

My PC (i5-3450 3.1 GHz, 660 Ti) still has DDR3 and runs WinXP with official drivers ;)
robertmo
l33t

Postby ruthan » 2019-2-12 @ 23:26

robertmo wrote:My PC (i5-3450 3.1 GHz, 660 Ti) still has DDR3 and runs WinXP with official drivers ;)

I think that this solution is mainly for faster machines, because with this CPU you can still run Dos / Win98 nativelly on 6x/7x chipsets, you only need MB with PCI slot for Sound card and Gigabyte or HP MB for primary gpu slot selection future or you can use second PCI slot for Vooodoo 3 PCI or similar card.

BTW i just checked my Vmware workstation and if i installed it correctly or driver date is corrrect, driver is date 1999 i expected something better, because XP vmware driver is dated to 2011 or 2012 and also no longer developed, some as Dos SB sound (Fx is working, Muisc is working but not together),which is developing some Vmware developer in spare time for years.

I think that only real solution for anything better than present PcEm, would be write whole 2d/3d driver by retro community.. as far i understand Vmware source is not available, so only solution, would be make something for VBox or Qemu, or..
1) Enhance Dosbox to support bigger FAT32 volumes and improve its Win98 support
2) Enhance PcEM
3) Write some Win98 3d driver for newer physical cards..
4) Something like Unraid virtualizer right at bare metal, with some old card passthrough, but there is problem that at least some - X99, Z370.. and probably also Z170 a Z270 boards (maybe all im not sure), simply ignoring PCI-E gen1 videocards..
ruthan
Oldbie

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-13 @ 07:10

ruthan wrote:1) Enhance Dosbox to support bigger FAT32 volumes

viewtopic.php?t=34642&p=683469#p683469
robertmo
l33t

Postby ruthan » 2019-2-13 @ 16:29

robertmo wrote:
ruthan wrote:1) Enhance Dosbox to support bigger FAT32 volumes

viewtopic.php?t=34642&p=683469#p683469

I know but you quoted only part of my message, second part is more important here:
and improve its Win98 support

If im not wrong only DirectDraw 2D games are now working in DosBox, maybe, maybe with some hack Glide too, but i really doubt that Direct3D and OpenGL ones are working and that is most important..
ruthan
Oldbie

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-13 @ 16:44

dosbox has got whole 3dfx card emulation so Direct3D works. OpenGL should work too i guess. the card is also virtualised.
robertmo
l33t

Postby ruthan » 2019-2-15 @ 17:20

When, can you post some YT video about it, its in main distro , or some obscure build it yourself thing? What a out performace?
Because if it is good, there is not too much sense, for this thread..
ruthan
Oldbie

Postby robertmo » 2019-2-15 @ 18:17

dosbox doesn't have cpu virtualisation.

viewtopic.php?t=34642&p=683469#p683296
robertmo
l33t

PreviousNext

Return to Release Announcements