VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After two months of silence... we are back with a new release 😉

Changes since 0.5.1:

• some user interface fixes (help wasn't worked as intended and some strings were screwed up)
  • VESA function 0x1 fake memory size patcher fixes:
    • new video page number is limited to 127 (some LAME applications treat this field as signed byte, which if incorrect and sometimes can cause problems and crashes)
    • new video page number calc procedure now uses only 16 bit registers, therefore S3VBEFIX probably can run on 286 now (is someone uses S3 cards in 286 machines? 😀
  • VESA function 0x6 new scanlines number patcher (fixes this and possibly other issues while using /M[x] key)

--wbcbz7

Reply 22 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried v0.52 and naturally it added the 320x400 resolution I wanted for DN3D 😀 but I noticed it detected my 8MB Speedstar A55 as a 4MB card

eBh2YJP.jpg

is this normal ?

funny thing is that I had tested previous version and completely forgot about it, I even found some DN3D framerate notes I made ... I need a brain defrag 🤣

cT89QGt.gif Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 wanted , click me for AmiBay ad!

Reply 23 of 25, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i don't think it matters really, 4mb is enough for that game and mode anyway; also i think it's just bad detection, it was common back in the day and did not influence performance in any way;

Reply 24 of 25, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

is this normal ?

probably not 😀
Which amount of memory is reported by other VESA applications/Windows drivers? and AFAIK you are using that patched BIOS version or something else? 😀

--wbcbz7

Reply 25 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently this fix does not fully work on some cards. I have two practically identical ASUS cards, one is Trio64V2/DX and the other is Virge DX. Patch works fine with Trio64, but Virge DX does not show any additional VESA modes, performance is increased though.

ASUS S3 Trio64V2 DX and Virge DX.jpg
Filename
ASUS S3 Trio64V2 DX and Virge DX.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Switched to BIOS chip from a common Virge DX card and the problem disappeared. It seems some vendor altered BIOS might cause problems.