VOGONS

Reply 61 of 254, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Roytam1 updated K-Meleon 74 with SHA384 support. So 2000,98,ME users get to testing:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177485-backporti … comment-1175954

You probably still have to disable javascript on 98 and ME.

Retrozilla stuff from MSFN:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/174987-retrozill … comment-1175970

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 63 of 254, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2019-12-30, 22:05:

Logging in the way mentioned above doesn’t work for me. Just redirects back to login page.

Same here, but with IE 5.01 (and Netscape 4.08) on WFW 3.11. The forum layout is garbled (it used to be look right before the update).

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 64 of 254, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The new Microsoft Edge based on Chromium was released today to the general public, and is compatible across these operating systems:
- macOS
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- iOS and Android

To get it, you can uninstall the beta versions (if you were previously using them) and get the stable from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 66 of 254, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-01-16, 15:16:

Lol, Microsoft finally admitted defeat after 25 years of browser wars.

Pretty much yes. They’ve even fired the developer of the previous Edge.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 67 of 254, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Windows XP, an up-to-date fork of Pale Moon is being maintained (last release Nov-2019), named Mypal:

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/blob/master/README.md

I've tested this and it works great with Pale Moon plugins and supports modern sites.

Reply 68 of 254, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-16, 13:19:

- iOS

Aren't iOS browsers limited to the WebKit engine provided by Apple, though?

So that version probably isn't the "real" Edge browser.

I'm very happy Microsoft finally gave up trying to self-develop browsers engines, they always turned out like crap because the development cycles where way too long.
With the support of Windows 7 ending, I no longer have to support Internet Explorer, too. Finally! My life as a webdesigner is going to be much easier now.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 69 of 254, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-16, 23:03:
Aren't iOS browsers limited to the WebKit engine provided by Apple, though? […]
Show full quote
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-16, 13:19:

- iOS

Aren't iOS browsers limited to the WebKit engine provided by Apple, though?

So that version probably isn't the "real" Edge browser.

I'm very happy Microsoft finally gave up trying to self-develop browsers engines, they always turned out like crap because the development cycles where way too long.
With the support of Windows 7 ending, I no longer have to support Internet Explorer, too. Finally! My life as a webdesigner is going to be much easier now.

Yes and no.

Chromium is Blink, a fork of WebKit, so there is some to little similarities between them. That said, I believe there is not much difference for Edge, Opera and Chrome on iOS, only Firefox is not using its original engine (Gecko) on iOS.

But I agree with you - not supporting IE anymore is a dream come true. With the latest version of the Moodle product I develop at work, we’ve already dropped it.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 71 of 254, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The more I use the new chromium-based MS Edge browser (macOS version), the more I like it. Microsoft finally did something right, kudos to them. Except, their exceptionally ugly new Edge logo. I could do a better logo, but I understand the meaning in their new logo - a wave, "surf the web", or something like that...

Microsoft will never integrate it with iCloud, so I am using it 50/50 with my main favorite browser (Safari). I just don't want to change from Safari 😜

But hey Microsoft, good job this time.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 72 of 254, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Retrozilla 1-27-2020
http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/rzbrowser-tls12-20200127.7z

NoScript for Retrozilla
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177106-running-v … comment-1174709

Reply 73 of 254, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Need to look into a package manager for Windows to track working last versions of programs for 3.5x,95,98,NT4,2000,XP,Vista, etc

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-01-28, 19:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 74 of 254, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-28, 19:29:

Oh wait, what's new here? Where did this come from? Not an official release apparently.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 75 of 254, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At the very least the ciphers were added since I can delete my profile and still access the site.

Reply 76 of 254, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which ad blockers or similar software are we using ? When I'm on my mac i like to use AdGuard with Safari and Edge, since it is free and I'm not willing to pay for one. Not that I'm too scared of anything while surfing the web on my mac - I have been doing that for like a decade without these things, but when I'm in a Windows PC I think that this is needed.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 77 of 254, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For 360 Chrome, use
https://lrepacks.ru/repaki-programm-dlya-inte … p-portable.html

"Some Russians" (yeah I know, great) removed the Chinese telemetry, version 12 is from December, Chrome 78. There's still a little Chinese here and there, and unfortunately the browser is configured so sites expect Russian which can be a pain to reconfigure, but on the other hand, Chrome 78.

Runs on XP.

Reply 78 of 254, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying Opera 12.02 on Windows 98SE with KernelEx set to Win2K SP4 causes the whole system to crash to BSOD.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 79 of 254, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-02-01, 18:49:

Which ad blockers or similar software are we using ? When I'm on my mac i like to use AdGuard with Safari and Edge, since it is free and I'm not willing to pay for one. Not that I'm too scared of anything while surfing the web on my mac - I have been doing that for like a decade without these things, but when I'm in a Windows PC I think that this is needed.

I've had pretty good luck with the µBlock Origin (aka "uBlock Origin") + NanoDefender combo, and I run a hosts file. The two extensions are available for both browsers I use (Firefox+Vivaldi) on every OS, and the hosts file applies system-wide. I was going to set up a PiHole on my home network but the aforementioned are good enough that I got lazy and never did it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!