Duke3D for win32

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding JonoF's port...

Looking very good so far. I tested numerous areas where the "Rancid" port crashed repeatedly, and it has yet to crash or lock-up on me. Only downside is that it doesn't support v1.3...still testing...

Reply 21 of 26, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys ! (yes, I registred !!):D

I'm trying to revive my old Duke Nukem Atomic Edition, and I just found this topic... but I don't understand a thing (and don't tell me I'm dumb).

What should I download ? (the exact file)
And to apply it to have a good sound ? (cause I read there are problems with the mix rate, innit ?)

Thank you guys, I feel like a 4 years old boy listening to traders speechs... (NO, I'M NOT DUMB !!! 😁 )

"Your clones are very impressive..."
- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 22 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen I'm trying to revive my old Duke Nukem Atomic Edition, and I just found this topic... but I don't understand a thing (and don't tell me I'm dumb).

Ok...we won't tell you...*heh*

What should I download ? (the exact file)
And to apply it to have a good sound ? (cause I read there are problems with the mix rate, innit ?)

The "Rancid" port has problems with various "mixrates".

In your case, I would recommend you make sure your game is patched up to v1.5. If not, use 3DRealms patch to fix that. You will need your CD for the patch to work.

Then I would recommend grabbing the JonoF port here.

Just unzip the files, then copy them over to your Duke3D directory. You run the new SETUP.EXE, choose your settings, save them, then run the new DUKE3D.EXE.

Unlike some other ports, Jono's seems stable. Keep an eye for future ports and (hopefully) enhanced ports.

P.S. I've updated the Problem Children thread with this info.

Reply 24 of 26, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the program and it works great !
Hum... I have a silly question... Is it possible in the game to make Duke look up and down with the mouse, like in Half-Life ?
Cause I only managed to make him look left and right with the mouse... 🙁

"Your clones are very impressive..."
- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 25 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Is it possible in the game to make Duke look up and down with the mouse, like in Half-Life ?
Cause I only managed to make him look left and right with the mouse...

Twinsen...Stop and think. Duke3D is not a true 3D game. It is what many refer to as "2.5D". The game is really two-dimensional with some tricks to make it play like it's 3D. Switch to the map view, then run and jump into a body of water. You will see that as soon as you go "underwater", the map instantly switches to another location. That's because it is another location. You "teleport" every time you enter or leave the water.

Having said all that, press the "U" key to turn on mouse aiming. Use that in conjunction with the WASD control system like most other FPS should give you a reasonable approximation of mouselook. Just remember that this is an approximation of 3D, so it will not "feel" the same as "true 3D".

The closest I've seen a 2.5D game engine come to simulate "true 3D" is the DOOMSDAY engine for DOOM/Heretic/Hexen. That engine seems almost exactly like "real" 3D, even though it's not. Not sure how Jaakko pulled it off...

Reply 26 of 26, by Jon Beilin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i used to do wasd (actually esdf 'cause i'm a weirdo) + mouselook in the oldie DOS version by mapping the mouse Y axis to look up/down. it worked pretty well, especially for LAN parties. but yeah, the engine wasn't really made for it (try looking down at baddies... yuck)