How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 81 of 91, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miguel Figueiredo wrote:

Really there's a HUGE performance diference between AGP and PCIXpress models? If it's the case, probably I'll think better and make a bigger upgrade in my system.
--
Micael

Not yet. Wait until the video card companies stop putting their latest tech into AGP cards and then you'll see a big difference.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 82 of 91, by zeckensack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Re meself: Nah ... why not mark the pages write-only and catch the exception?! 😈
edit: Because ... Windows won't let me 🙄
Link
Oh well ...

Can't believe I've missed this:

Miguel Figueiredo wrote:

Hmmmm, I've heard about the 6600 too.

But my doubt is: This board is only for the new PCI-Express slot or exist one model that use the AGP slot.

The only time I saw one 6600, it is for PCIXpress slots.

Geforce 6600 are native PCI Express chips but NVIDIA makes PCI-E<=>AGP converter bridges. Look at this.
These bridged AGP cards are already in stock in several places in Germany. Don't know where to get them in your corner of the world. Look for Sparkle cards, they have the best prices currently.

Miguel Figueiredo wrote:
Really there's a HUGE performance diference between AGP and PCIXpress models? If it's the case, probably I'll think better and m […]
Show full quote

Really there's a HUGE performance diference between AGP and PCIXpress models? If it's the case, probably I'll think better and make a bigger upgrade in my system.

Again, thanks for any response.

--
Micael

In general no.
But if you're really paranoid about getting ultimate performance in Glide games ... 🙄
Yes. There are only very few situations where current systems don't have enough performance for good Glide emulation. But when one of them comes up, it hurts a lot.
The #1 issue is framebuffer readback performance. This is a lot better with PCI Express cards.

Only a handful of games require high performance readbacks. You would have noticed. If you've never been hit by this problem, don't bother.

Reply 84 of 91, by zeckensack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beware of the ads though 😵

And as a Vogons exclusive, my humle Radeon 9200 sees a healthy improvement even in non-high res. The Carnivores test case now runs at 58 fps, with 31 fps on 0.82b. Quite a jump for the little bugger.
Didn't want too much publicity on this one, because only R200 class products benefit in this way. Didn't want to raise too much expectation.

Reply 85 of 91, by amano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Zeckensack.

What is the current progress with the wrapper? We didn't hear anything for a month or so 😉

BTW, I once mailed you about not being able to install pandemonium 2 anymore. I was able to work around that by editing some of the small files without a file extension (they are in plain ascii format) in the PAndemonium folder and pointing there to the correct files.

Reply 86 of 91, by zeckensack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

0.84 is out now
The changelog is enormous. LFB speed improvements are in as promised.

Note the known issues. Something is wrong, and it's been difficult to debug it (Motorhead is compiled with an "omit frame pointers" optimization).

Reply 89 of 91, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see that the latest version of MAME 0.103u3 has improved Voodoo 3Dfx emulation, including Banshee and Voodoo3. Maybe that could be a useful reference for zeckensack's wrapper? If it's still being developed? (yes I know I posted same message in the dgVoodoo thread!)

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 90 of 91, by woodbrowne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day everyone,

Please would you help me with the Glide wrapper. I am trying to run Pandemonium 2. When I use the wrapper I can get the setup to run, but in Win 95, it then doesn’t actual install the files, in Win XP it says the file name is not valid or too long (even after emulating Win 95 / 98). If I copy the CD directly to me hard disk or run from CD then the 3 intro screens run, but it then halts and give an error "message from programmer dude" that Pandemonium 2 cannot run without a valid resource.cnf file. Please would you let me know what I need to do to get this to work.

Many thanks

Regards
Peter Browne

Reply 91 of 91, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tryed Motorhead with Zeckensack 0.84c in Windows 98 with Geforce Ti 4200, but Game Crashes back to Desktop after Selecting Car... and before Loading Screen.

dgvoodoo works, but no lights on the cars.

In nglide it works, but only in XP.

don't know what the Problem is... cause zeckensack on the windows 98 can't ran Motorhead but NFS2SE works great... so i think it's correct installed.