VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1820 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I like the hint to cover more than one potential game, just to add a little bit of luck to the process. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1821 of 3343, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had nearly thrown those disks out on several occasions, simply because I had forgotten what was on them, and they didn't look important. "A miracle" is a reasonable description! If all disks with Googol Bonus are so obscurely labelled, this may be the last one ever recovered. At least viewers will know what to look for now. Nice use of that close-up on the disk BTW, that looks tricky to edit.

Of the 6 games, the multiplication table game is my favorite. The first few times I played Clash, I didn't realize you could travel over your own trail. That makes the game significantly more playable, when you can. 😀 I like the idea behind the horizontal shooter game, but it really needs a slightly faster speed level. As it stands, it's mostly an endurance test (though I might feel differently if I was a young child). Wolfie's Music Games also has a variation on that game idea that works pretty well.

Not mentioned in the video is that the disk also contains newer versions of some of the shareware games (Googol Math Games and Googol Review) than can be currently found online, so if anyone wants a copy of the shareware, let me know.

Reply 1822 of 3343, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gemini,
Love the show and your knowledge of the games and DosBox.

I don't know if you know this or not about TMNT for DOS that in the European version of the game (Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles) that the impossible jump in Stage 3 at 12:07 in your video is fixed in that version of the game. I just thought I would throw that tidbit out there for ya.

Reply 1823 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 137 - Under a Killing Moon is online!

A lot of wrong guesses this week... which I find kinda surprising since I showed the box for this game and everything and it only missed being the game for Episode 131 by a single vote but oh well. :B

Also, I'm likely going to be replacing the $4 reward tier I have set up on Patreon with access to monthly livestreams instead of Q&A videos. If anyone's got any thoughts on that, please let me know! :)

Fender_178 wrote:

I don't know if you know this or not about TMNT for DOS that in the European version of the game (Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles) that the impossible jump in Stage 3 at 12:07 in your video is fixed in that version of the game. I just thought I would throw that tidbit out there for ya.

Interesting... Did they also fix the lack of pizza powerups in the 5th and 6th levels? :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1824 of 3343, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
Ancient DOS Games Episode 137 - Under a Killing Moon is online! […]
Show full quote

Ancient DOS Games Episode 137 - Under a Killing Moon is online!

A lot of wrong guesses this week... which I find kinda surprising since I showed the box for this game and everything and it only missed being the game for Episode 131 by a single vote but oh well. :B

Also, I'm likely going to be replacing the $4 reward tier I have set up on Patreon with access to monthly livestreams instead of Q&A videos. If anyone's got any thoughts on that, please let me know! 😀

Fender_178 wrote:

Interesting... Did they also fix the lack of pizza powerups in the 5th and 6th levels? 😜

Nope that they did not fix it remained the same as the North American Version. I looked in each Building in Stage 5 and nothing. In Stage 6 I vaguely remember where Pizzas were in the NES version but in the DOS version in those locations nothing was there.

Reply 1826 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 138 - Macadam Bumper / Pinball Wizard is online! :D

Incidentally, most of the guesses this week were for EA's Pinball Construction Set, even though it doesn't have any alternate titles. :P

Actually, it was recommended to me that I look at that one instead of Pinball Wizard, but I wanted to look at this game because for one, I actually own it, even though both of my disks for it are dead and I had to grab it from elsewhere to be able to cover it, (might've been just as well, the disks were copy protected too), and for two, because I played it as a kid, whereas I've never used the Pinball Construction Set and have no nostalgic feelings connected to it. :P

Also, when I did the voiceover for this episode, I still wasn't sure what I'd do for a filler, but given all the pinball stuff lately on the show I think I should let people in on what the best options are for REALLY playing pinball nowadays, both computerized and the real thing, while showing some footage from the modern digital pinball programs out there. :)

Truth be told, I've actually been harbouring a deep interest in pinball since forever, it's just that interest has remained dormant for quite some time as I didn't think I had any options for getting back into it... I'm very glad to be proven very wrong about that and I'm also delighted to see that pinball popularity is actually on the rise right now! :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1827 of 3343, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mention that you found a copy for a "different operating system" - what was that? I know this game was released for other computers but the choice of words has me wondering.

The best '80s PC pinball game was Night Mission Pinball, IMO (not just because it was the first one I ever played). No editor, but it plays and feels great - and it's from subLogic, so you know it's gonna be serious in the "simulation" department.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1828 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

You mention that you found a copy for a "different operating system" - what was that? I know this game was released for other computers but the choice of words has me wondering.

Actually, there's two copies of Macadam Bumper on eBay now: One for the Atari ST and another for DOS. The one for DOS is coming from the UK so that might explain the major difference between Macadam Bumper and Pinball Wizard as far as DOS is concerned: The Macadam Bumper release was in Europe. :B

I also just noticed that Pinball Wizard on the ZX Spectrum and C64 is NOT the same game... better make a note of that... :o

Man, names can get confusing sometimes... x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1829 of 3343, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Chris, you are aware that there are some older episodes that don't play, right? (“Sorry, we're unable to play this episode” message). I don't know if these videos have been intentionally taken down or if it’s a temporary problem of the video hoster, just though to mention it.
For example as I write this message Round 42 (42), Magic Carpet (43), Supaplex (44), Flightmare (46) and Cyberdogs (52) are not playing

Reply 1830 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

Hi Chris, you are aware that there are some older episodes that don't play, right? (“Sorry, we're unable to play this episode” message). I don't know if these videos have been intentionally taken down or if it’s a temporary problem of the video hoster, just though to mention it.
For example as I write this message Round 42 (42), Magic Carpet (43), Supaplex (44), Flightmare (46) and Cyberdogs (52) are not playing

Thanks for letting me know. Occasionally individual videos will temporarily go down for a few days for reasons I'm not sure of, but this is the first time several videos have all failed at once. (Episode 11 isn't working either.) I just sent a message to Blip asking them what's going on because all of those videos are supposed to be working. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1831 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just heard back from Blip. Apparently it's just a "temporary server issue" causing those videos not to load and that it's already being worked on. I'll poke 'em again if they're still offline by next week. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1832 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #38 - E.T. (Atari 2600) is online!

I had second thoughts about doing a filler related to pinball just yet because I'm still very much in "learning mode" and am not quite ready to dedicate a video to talking about modern pinball programs and playing for real. Once I feel I've learned enough to make a solid video on the subject, then I'll get to it. ;)

For now, I decided to look at something everyone who's been watching my show KNOWS I have (since I showed my cart of it at the start of Episode 2 many years ago) and give my own perspective on how to play it.

As for livestreaming, I'm still deciding on the best approach so that Patreon supporters will get to participate in streams as they happen while non-Patreon viewers will still get to watch the stream once it's concluded. Anyone with any thoughts on the matter, feel free to chime in 'cause I'm still very much learning how best to approach this! (Not to mention still deciding on which software to use for the actual streaming process.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1833 of 3343, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good E.T. video. I fully agreed with your opinions on it, including that it was buggy but over-demonized.

I also own at least one physical copy of it (probably multiple by now) that I played as a kid along with many other Atari 2600 games. I'm pretty sure I was able to beat the easier difficulty setting by somewhere around 6 years old, so it's not *that* hard to figure out what's going on either. If you want to see an incomprehensible Atari 2600 game based on a Spielberg movie, try Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Reply 1834 of 3343, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You really have to have had an atari as a kid to truly like those games I guess. Tried a few in emulators and it just doesn't seem worth the time.

Reply 1835 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

You really have to have had an atari as a kid to truly like those games I guess. Tried a few in emulators and it just doesn't seem worth the time.

That, or have a TON of them. :B

I believe at last count I have 68 unique Atari 2600 carts, not counting repeats from the bulk purchase a friend got for me several years ago. The thing is, when I feel like playing Atari 2600 stuff, I don't sit down and just play one game, I get a stack of them ready and play about 5 to 10 minutes of 5 to 10 games all in one sitting. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1836 of 3343, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most atari games haven't held up as well as later systems because it was just too primitive a system for the games to have much depth. It was really meant for crude home ports of older arcade games.

Loved the heck out of it as a kid though, so it's very nostalgic for me. That's why I still have my original 2600.

Reply 1837 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Most atari games haven't held up as well as later systems because it was just too primitive a system for the games to have much depth. It was really meant for crude home ports of older arcade games.

Which of course, isn't to say there weren't exceptions to that. ;)

One of my favourite 2600 games is Pressure Cooker, where you have to assemble burgers and send them down various delivery lanes. It's very basic but you can play it for hours if you're not careful because of how engaging it is, plus it has some really good gradient effects to help it stand out graphically.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1838 of 3343, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember playing the absolute crap out of the Atari plug and play paddle games thing when I was a kid, and now I want to get an actual 2600 so I can try the 4 player mode on Warlords.

Reply 1839 of 3343, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm always more impressed with the graphics they managed to get out of the atari in some games than the actual gameplay considering the limitations of the hardware. Some of the recent atari demos were quite amazing as well especially when seeing them on the big screen 😀