VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 541 of 3355, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my favorite things about this forum is that its user base is made up of people from all over the world. It's great to be able to get advice and perspectives from people from many different walks of life.

One of the most frustrating things about a forum with a global user base is that we often run into cultural and language barriers. Not everyone has the same grasp on the English language, and this can lead to misunderstandings. Dry wit and sarcasm seem to be lost most often. Luckily we have emoticons to help deliver our message via this lean text medium. Also, many of us often don't have a good feel for other cultures, and this can also lead to misunderstandings. Something valued higher in one culture might not mean as much in another. These are just things we have to work out given the situation.

So, regarding the pixel nudity in Daggerfall: one thing that is becoming more and more important in US society is "covering your ass" (CYA). Litigation is huge here. I'm not saying that it's right; in fact, I often think it's ridiculous how carefully we have to tiptoe around these days. Now I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but I figure it is similar to this (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, isn't blip.tv a US company? There are policies, terms of use, and EULAs to follow when using services. It's just something you do if you don't want to get shut down. So to me, Gemini000's disclaimer and decision not to include nudity makes perfect sense. It has very little to do with personal prudishness. He's just covering his ass.

Reply 542 of 3355, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Gemini000's disclaimer and decision not to include nudity makes perfect sense. It has very little to do with personal prudishness. He's just covering his ass.

Exactly, and he's stated it several times by now since some (one) person is bitchy about that each and every time.

Reply 543 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stull wrote:

One of my favorite things about this forum is that its user base is made up of people from all over the world. It's great to be able to get advice and perspectives from people from many different walks of life.

Indeed, a solid number of people who watch ADG, let alone purchase the games I've made, are from countries outside of North America. In fact, I think only about three or four Canadians have ever bought one of my games. ^_^;

Stull wrote:

One of the most frustrating things about a forum with a global user base is that we often run into cultural and language barriers. Not everyone has the same grasp on the English language, and this can lead to misunderstandings. Dry wit and sarcasm seem to be lost most often. Luckily we have emoticons to help deliver our message via this lean text medium. Also, many of us often don't have a good feel for other cultures, and this can also lead to misunderstandings. Something valued higher in one culture might not mean as much in another. These are just things we have to work out given the situation.

I've said it many times (though perhaps not here on VOGONS): You can't take the internet seriously at all, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. ;D

Stull wrote:

So, regarding the pixel nudity in Daggerfall: one thing that is becoming more and more important in US society is "covering your ass" (CYA). Litigation is huge here. I'm not saying that it's right; in fact, I often think it's ridiculous how carefully we have to tiptoe around these days. Now I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but I figure it is similar to this (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, isn't blip.tv a US company? There are policies, terms of use, and EULAs to follow when using services. It's just something you do if you don't want to get shut down. So to me, Gemini000's disclaimer and decision not to include nudity makes perfect sense. It has very little to do with personal prudishness. He's just covering his ass.

Exactly. Though, because Blip.tv is a US company, the content I post has to primarily conform to US legalities. IE: If I put something up on Blip that's legal to show online in Canada but illegal to show online in the US, it can't stay up, but if it's legal to show in the US but potentially illegal to show in Germany (such as my Wolfenstein 3D review) then it's still OK. There's a word for this but I don't know what it is. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 544 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I much more prefer, that there is an ADG, than no ADG. But I am actually thinking of a particular (old) AVGN episode. When I am mentioning pixel tits, cause they were more pixels than tits. But when I mention LGR, or any other thing . Then it is about the "famous" nipples in Duke 3D, cause yes. Legally they are NSFW in USA. But I believe even LGR had those pixelated "lovelies" in one of his videos. And I doubt the video has been rated.

Reply 546 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

but there are no nipples in duke3d

Say what ? 🤣 are you telling me, when you say "shake it baby" (press space in front of the strippers) in Duke3d. They have "protected" them by putting those colours on ? Well I would say that discussion is a completely different matter, whether or not the nipples are present or not. And that is something I think is not what we should discuss in this thread.

Reply 548 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

The last time I checked, the strippers in Duke3D wore tassels over their nipples. 🤣

Oh well, at least we know what I am talking about. But those are nipples, none the less 😀

Reply 549 of 3355, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is indeed a nice forum the only thing that makes a bad forum is big forum, i have noticed on another forum i frequent the large users base brings in douche bags and ass holes. people won't even read your post before replying, talking about something way off or incorrect answers.

I, and i have also seen other users, get ridiculed for wanting to actually bust out the soldering station perform our own repairs or modifications/upgrades. I do indeed forums like these where we have a smaller more understanding user base and users who create awesome content and have great info.

Reply 550 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW: Not a single person has even attempted to guess the upcoming ADG episode, so here's an extra hint for all you VOGONS readers:

It was made in Russia.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 552 of 3355, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was referring to to other forums, also i feel kind of bad for hi jacking Gemini000. I didn't know there were any studios in Russia back then that made international games. In soviet Russia games plays you.

Reply 554 of 3355, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

But when I mention LGR, or any other thing . Then it is about the "famous" nipples in Duke 3D, cause yes. Legally they are NSFW in USA. But I believe even LGR had those pixelated "lovelies" in one of his videos. And I doubt the video has been rated.

I have nipples in my videos? Whoa, news to me, sweet!

Seriously though, in that Duke Nukem Retrospective, it has been rated in blip's system as a mature viewers only video just in case. A mature content warning is also at the start of the video. Same goes for YouTube. Anyone can flag it if they want to restrict its viewership further, but I doubt someone is going to flag something that shows approximatley 6 or 7 pixels that MIGHT be construed as being nipples. I suppose I could have gone a bit further. I suppose one might use a mosaic on the image and reduce it down to 2 pixels, ha.

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 556 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 67 - Highway Hunter is online!

A grand total of one person attempted to guess this week's episode. I seriously had no idea this game was that obscure! (Or maybe no one ever played this thing on hard skill...)

In any case, hopefully this week's episode is enlightening, though if anyone knows anything about the Monkey Business boxed copy, since that's not the one I have, please let me know. I spent HOURS trying to figure out if it was the full game or not, but there wasn't a shred of information about this. I couldn't even find pictures of the disks included with the Monkey Business release. That would've almost certainly answered the question. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 557 of 3355, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

In any case, hopefully this week's episode is enlightening, though if anyone knows anything about the Monkey Business boxed copy, since that's not the one I have, please let me know. I spent HOURS trying to figure out if it was the full game or not, but there wasn't a shred of information about this. I couldn't even find pictures of the disks included with the Monkey Business release. That would've almost certainly answered the question. x_x;

I own the boxed release of this game, by Monkey Business. It comes with Episode 1 only! Scans available if ya want, but it's in my storage closet and that's like diving into an Oblivion gate: You just don't do it very often 😀

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 558 of 3355, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going to go through this thread and clean up some of the flamebait/craziness.

As for Highway Hunter: I'd never heard of it. Having to be confined to highway boundaries for the entire game sounds claustrophobic.

Reply 559 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazygamereviews wrote:

I own the boxed release of this game, by Monkey Business. It comes with Episode 1 only! Scans available if ya want, but it's in my storage closet and that's like diving into an Oblivion gate: You just don't do it very often :)

That's OK. I have some Oblivion Gate boxes I don't often dive through so I can understand this... I don't have an entire closet as such though! :O

I'll be sure to add this info to the video page on my website. Thanks! :)

HunterZ wrote:

I'm going to go through this thread and clean up some of the flamebait/craziness.

That also sounds like diving through an Oblivion Gate. XD

HunterZ wrote:

As for Highway Hunter: I'd never heard of it. Having to be confined to highway boundaries for the entire game sounds claustrophobic.

It can be, but you get lots of lives on Hard and lots of energy on easy/medium, which certainly helps. Playing through the game this time around on medium skill I broke 5,000,000 points. That's 50 extra energy points through the course of the game, which translates to being able to be hit 50 times! :O

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)