Reply 220 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
MuntVsti v1.0.0.5 uploaded.
New features:
1. Added visual indicator to active parts/channels.
2. In SC-VA topic there was a request to handle channels 11..16 in order to get full GM spectrum with 2 instances. So a new channel configuration has been added: 9,11..16.
3. Channel restrictions have been removed so full 1..16 range is available and channel display works with all possible configurations.
Hint: To get full GM spectrum you need 2 instances. First you should reset both instances to GM, and then set the 2nd instance's channel configuaration to 9, 11..16.
Bye

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-01-25, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 221 of 1690, by bellarmine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Zoltan,

I've been a member of Vogons for a while now, and I also have been using your MIDIPlayer for many years, it is a great program! I've always been interested in MIDI since the mid 90's when I learned about it. I'm by no means an expert but I do know the general terms, and have many cables and hardware, AWE32 cards etc. I just found a free digital piano with MIDI to plug into my SB Live! card, something I've always wanted to do, play music into the computer, as I play the piano pretty well. The lady says it needs a small fix, but might be easy, so wish me luck on that.

Anyway, back to your player. After using dozens over the years, I've settled on yours for just about everything. It is small, fast, flexible, easy to change MIDI file settings, reverb etc on the fly, and does everything in one program that a whole slew of others could only guess at. I also love your Reality soundfont, it sounds terrific with my Live! Platinum SoundFont card.

There is one feature I've been looking for for years, never found a player that could do it. Yours comes close, it is very flexible, but what would really make my day is to have that flexibility shown for all 16 tracks at once, with little keyboards, that would be fantastic. A year or two ago I hashed up a concept in Windows Paintbrush (been using it since Win 3.1, does my skill show?... 😎 It is several versions out of date, you have done a lot of work since then, and I skipped a few buttons out of laziness, but I think you can get the idea.

I'm not sure how much programming that would take, I've done DOS Batch files in the past but never learned a programming language. Perhaps something like putting in an "Expand" button that would duplicate your player 16 times for the 16 tracks? The knobs at the top-R would be Master control knobs, and turn all the others at once. I love to turn up the Reverb on all tracks in my MIDI files all the time, so this is one of my main likes about this setup, not having to do it for each track 16 times.

Anyway, this would be a really great thing to have, and I can understand if it would be too much work, but thought I'd throw it out there for you to see. Glad I found this forum, it's great having a place to hash out ideas like this.... 😀

All the best Zoltan, and MANY thanks for a GREAT EXCELLENT program AND soundfont I use everyday!

Bellarmine

Attachments

• Falconsoft MIDI Mixer 3.png
    Filename
    Falconsoft MIDI Mixer 3.png
    File size
    91.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Falcosoft MIDI Mixer Deluxe Expanded Mode....;o)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

When working on a job, you have 3 criteria: Fast, Good, and Cheap (i.e., Quick, High Quality, and Low Cost). Only 2 out of 3 are practical.

Reply 222 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.
You are not the first one who suggests this feature, but to tell you the truth it's not likely it will be implemented in the near future.

A year or two ago I hashed up a concept in Windows Paintbrush (been using it since Win 3.1, does my skill show?...

I must say your skill DOES show, and you are the first who can come up with a plausible concept (I could not). But it also seems a little crowded. But making more spaces would require a vertical dual monitor setup, so it's not so easy to make it right. (And this whole concept resembles a complete full screen sequencer/rack solution rather than a player).
But it stays on the wish list anyway.
For the time being you can try other solutions in chain with FSMP. E.g. http://openmidiproject.osdn.jp/MIDITester_en.html looks much like your concept.

@Edit:I hardly dare to say it since I'm almost sure you have already found it, but who knows. The channel selector up/down has a right click context menu that can help switching channels.

@I have seen in 'SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold SPDIF Clarification' topic that you have/had a problem installing Creative WaveSynth/WG on non-intel CPUs. Instead of what the referred article suggests (implementing the whole dll functionality) a more simple solution is to hack 1 byte (JZ/JNZ -> JMP) in the original dll in the function that checks for GenuineIntel and always return true. I have made it many times.

Reply 223 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I have made a video about my FSMP + Munt Vsti GM test.
https://youtu.be/wV8sF_K4iP0

@Edit:
v1.0.0.7 MuntVsti uploaded.
http://falcosoft.hu/munt_vsti_test.zip

Fixed SysEx problems with some hosts (e.g. SAVIHost)
Added adjustable maximum partials (up to 64).
Added x64 test version

Reply 224 of 1690, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks alot for the Munt VSTi Falcosoft, finally we can use Munt under Windows 98SE. 😊

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 225 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Kamerat: The first step was yours 😀

Hi,
Munt VSTi 1.0 is officially released:
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#munt_vsti

The test file is no longer available.
Bye

Reply 226 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Some news:
new test versions of FSMP and also MuntVsti are available.
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_44_test.zip (MuntVsti 1.1 is in the VST folder of the package).

MuntVsti 1.1:
1. Added status area for displaying SysEx LCD messages (mainly Quest Studio midis) and selected ROM information.
2. Fixed GM mode's default piano (program 0) 'one octave down' bug .This can also be found in the original Roland MT-TO-GM package and affects at least Munt.
3. Fixed 'Reverse Stereo' value loading.

FSMP 4.4
1. Added BASS_VST_SetEditKnobMode to Bass_vst.dll so linear knob mode can be set also in VST(i) plugins.
2. Added displaying full playlist duration to Time column header.
3. Added ability to add associated file types from explorer to an already opened instance of midi player. So if you double click on a supported file that you have associated with the player (mid, kar etc.) and the player is already running it is added to the playlist and starts playing. If you continue to click on other associated files within 2 seconds then they are simply added to the playlist. (Winamp like behavior).
4. Added General VST UI to support editor-less plugins. Of course this UI is available for any VST(i) plugins.
5. Fixed saving/loading settings for VST(i) plugins that do not support data chunks.
6. Added DreamBlaster_X2.ins file.
7. Fixed MT32_GM_Mode.syx just like in MuntVsti.
[Edit]
8. Fixed integer overflow bug in long and high ppqn Midi files (e.g. Quest Studios Larry 3 midi)

Bye

Reply 227 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
FSMP 4.4 (including MuntVsti 1.1) is released
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

Reply 228 of 1690, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all your work on this!

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 230 of 1690, by bellarmine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Hi, Thanks for your feedback. You are not the first one who suggests this feature, but to tell you the truth it's not likely it […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.
You are not the first one who suggests this feature, but to tell you the truth it's not likely it will be implemented in the near future.
I must say your skill DOES show, and you are the first who can come up with a plausible concept (I could ....................

Hello Zoltan,

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to say thanks very much for your compliments on my "Deluxe Mixer" concept, I'm flattered to be the first to have a 'workable' concept, it means a lot to me!

Thank you for the link to the OpenMIDIProject, it looks very interesting. I downloaded it and will check it out.

Also, no I did NOT know about the R-click channel selector, you even show the lables too! You keep cramming more and more little doo-dads and features into your compact player, I like that. One great thing you added recently is the little graphics display for the 16 channels. I was REALLY missing that, if I had to choose a feature from my 'Deluxe' mixer concept for you to implement, that would have been my choice, so thanks for that!

I will tell you what I do to select channels in FSMP more easily - I use a small piece of software called KatMouse:
http://ehiti.de/katmouse/

It does the standard mouse focus thing, where the scroll wheel works on what the pointer is over, not what app is active. Anyway, when the mouse pointer is over the channel list I can simply scroll it with the scroll wheel, VERY fast. Also, I can pretty easily turn up the Reverb on ALL channels by this simple procedure: Click on the Reverb knob; press and hold END on the keyboard (max Reverb); then while holding down END, scroll the wheel over the channel list - once it loops back to channel 1, ALL channels have max reverb - pretty easy.

Finally, that's interesting what you said about the SoundBlaster WaveSynth - I'd be interested in learning your method. I did manage to install the suite using another method, but came up with another problem: After installation and rebooting, the WaveSynth driver simply refuses to load without a Pentium chip - so I guess fixing the Install routine isn't the end of it. If you know different DO let me know.

Bellarmine

When working on a job, you have 3 criteria: Fast, Good, and Cheap (i.e., Quick, High Quality, and Low Cost). Only 2 out of 3 are practical.

Reply 231 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For everyone, thanks for your feedback !
@Bellarmine,

I can pretty easily turn up the Reverb on ALL channels by this simple procedure: Click on the Reverb knob; press and hold END on the keyboard (max Reverb); then while holding down END, scroll the wheel over the channel list - once it loops back to channel 1, ALL channels have max reverb - pretty easy.

Thanks for sharing this trick! For the surprised ones I must confess that I forgot to document that the knobs can react to keyboard events (arrow keys, page up/down, home, end). This trick can work for everyone even without katmouse installed. You only have to click the channel arrow controls with the mouse instead of using the wheel. It's because without katmouse you would have to click on the input field to use the wheel but this would steal the keyboard focus from the knob.

Finally, that's interesting what you said about the SoundBlaster WaveSynth - I'd be interested in learning your method.

Unfortunately I do not have the original install disk anymore, but I extracted the hacked drivers (together with the sound blaster driver files) from a working Win95 PC some time ago and successfully installed it on Win98SE hosted by Virtual PC. VPC does not modify CPUID calls so the guest reports AuthenticAMD Family 15 (not good for original drivers).
http://falcosoft.hu/creative_wavesynth.zip
You have to install the driver manually (so the installation time checking is also skipped this way):
1. Unzip the package somewhere. WAVSYN.INF is in the package's main directory.
2. Control Panel -> Add new hardware ->Next -> Next -> No, I want to select the hardware from a list -> Sound video and game controllers -> Have Disk -> Browse to WAVSYN.INF and install.

Bye

Reply 232 of 1690, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bellarmine wrote:
Falcosoft wrote:

I will tell you what I do to select channels in FSMP more easily - I use a small piece of software called KatMouse:
http://ehiti.de/katmouse/

Just taking this opportunity to point out how this is now a native feature of Windows, as of Windows 10.

Reply 233 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Some news:
new test versions of FSMP and also a new OPL3 GM VSTi are available for testing.
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_45_test.zip (OPL3 GM VSTi 1.0 is in the VST folder of the package).

OPL3 GM VSTi is based on DosBox OPL 2/3 emulator library .
It relies on some pecularities of Bass_VST library.
(Bass_VST does not use the deltaFrames member of VstMidiEvent struct.)
So under other hosts timing problems can occur with bigger buffers.
Supported feature set is essentially conforms the GM Lite specification.
https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/general-midi-lite

The x86 version of OPL3Vsti works even on Win9x.

Notice:
Since OPL3 internally uses 49716 Hz it is recommended to use this sample rate.
Since this sample rate is not widely supported by other hosts other sample rates are also supported but with potentially reduced quality.

FSMP 4.5 changes:
1. Added 49716 Hz to selectable sample rates.
2. Fixed GS_MT32_Mode.syx by adding proper default MT-32 instrument list and MT-32 default pitch bend range.
3. Fixed 'Play from first Note' problem (playback misses some early notes) by fast forwarding only to one beat before first note.
4. Fixed GM Balance (CC# 8 ) default value.

Edit:
OPL3 GM VSTi : fixed some note allocation and sustain related bugs.
Added 2 other alternative patch banks.
Added active voice count display.
Please re-download.

Reply 234 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
FSMP 4.5 (including MuntVsti 1.2 and OPL3Vsti 1.0) is released
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

FSMP 4.5:
1. Added new "File Mode" recording option (right click menu on record button). If enabled recording only starts when playback starts and recording stops when the midi file's playback ends.
2. Added new OPL3 GM VSTi for the ones who like 90's retro sound. It's in the same VST folder where MuntVSTi can be found.
3. Added 49716 Hz to selectable sample rates (because of OPL3 GM VSTi).
4. Added version 1.2 of MuntVSTi.
5. Added MT-32 Master volume sysex handling (used when "use Sysex for Volume/Balance" is enabled is mixer options).
6. MT-32 midi files detected and displayed as "MT" on the main UI.
7. Fixed GS_MT32_Mode.syx by adding proper default MT-32 instrument list and MT-32 default pitch bend range.
8. Fixed 'Play from first Note' problem (playback misses some early notes) by fast forwarding only to one beat before first note.
9. Fixed GM Balance (CC# 8 ) default value.

MuntVsti 1.2
1. Added Orchestra Drum set to GM Mode (can be reached by PC# 48 on channel 10). No special settings are required, midis can use it automatically in GM mode.
2. Added GM ON/OFF SysEx handling so you (or midi files) can switch GM Mode ON(/Off) by sending these simple SysEx messages.
3. Added displaying actual Midi mode to UI.
4. Fixed hanging sustained notes when playback is paused.
5. New version of mt32emu4v.dll (2.0.2).

Any feedback is welcome

EDIT:
I have done some last minute changes (Munt and opl3 vsti) , please redownload.

Reply 235 of 1690, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

20. Fully supports Windows 9x, XP, 7, 8, 10 moreover Wine.

Tried in Win95B and crashes hard.

falcosoft_crash.png

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 236 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, to tell you the truth under "Win9x" I meant Win98, SE and ME. I have not tested it under Win95. But I have just tried it on my old Win95(A) virtual machine and it started without problems (just some font problems can be detected). So I suggest that you should install the latest directx available for Win95 (I think it's directx8) since bass libraries and recording need it.
Used hardware (sound card) and available Midi out devices?

fsmp_win95.jpg
Filename
fsmp_win95.jpg
File size
305.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 237 of 1690, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok I think that is the problem here. DirectX8 requires a Pentium class CPU and does not install on an older CPUs. Win95 itself runs on 386+.
So maybe extend the details for the requirements in the first post to DirectX8 + Pentium.

My Win95 system here is a NexGen with Ensoniq Soundscape Elite.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 238 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually it also works with Directx 6/7 but definitely requires a Pentium class CPU. There are hand-made assembly routines in the code that use RDTSC and the compiler is also set to generate Pentium optimized code.

So maybe extend the details for the requirements in the first post to DirectX8 + Pentium.

Yes, you are right. Pentium requirement is added to first post.

@Edit:
The biggest problem is that unlike the Pentium, the NexGen 586 has no built-in math co-processor(FPU). So even a new compile and removed asm could not help.

Reply 239 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off topic:
I have made a video about modified/XG enhanced Duke Nukem 3D Grabbag Theme.
I have changed channel/track 6 instrument to Vibes since Tubural Bells sound off tune on S-YXG50.
https://youtu.be/XWCv9jaUUm4

Modified Grabbag midi file:
http://falcosoft.hu/grabbag_xg_falcomod.zip

Used SysEx messages:
F0 43 10 4C 02 01 40 4B 00 F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 01 44 00 03 F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 01 46 00 34 F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 01 48 00 50 F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 40 00 00 F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 40 01 3D F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 40 0D 41 F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 40 11 43 F7
F0 43 10 4C 02 01 5A 01 F7

After applying the SysEx messages you can use Controller 94 to set the effect amount on the given channel.