VOGONS

Reply 1240 of 1687, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MIDI files play perfectly with no errors, but no audio is rendered by VMS/Bass MIDI. Output is WASAPI (to HD Digital Audio Device) through the Bass MIDI config in the player and nothing special in the VMS Settings for output. Rate is 48khz. I get the same problem using VMS in the Output selection and CoolSoft MIDI Mapper doesn't give anything either when selected. Only the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth provides working audio. Even when I quit the player and start a new instance, there's still no sound. Soundfont is pre-loaded in both VMS and the player Bass MIDI settings. I tested Windows Media Player and had no audio with the VMS, until I quit the player and started a new instance after changing the VMS to the GS Wavetable Synth and back to VMS. I just got the player to work with the MIDI mapper by quitting and restarting VMS, so the issue seems to be caused by something there. I'm using the latest version of both the player and VMS on a 6-core Windows 10 system, with the latest regular updates and 64GB of dual-channel RAM.

Reply 1241 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-08-01, 23:21:

MIDI files play perfectly with no errors, but no audio is rendered by VMS/Bass MIDI. Output is WASAPI (to HD Digital Audio Device) through the Bass MIDI config in the player and nothing special in the VMS Settings for output. Rate is 48khz. I get the same problem using VMS in the Output selection and CoolSoft MIDI Mapper doesn't give anything either when selected. Only the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth provides working audio. Even when I quit the player and start a new instance, there's still no sound. Soundfont is pre-loaded in both VMS and the player Bass MIDI settings. I tested Windows Media Player and had no audio with the VMS, until I quit the player and started a new instance after changing the VMS to the GS Wavetable Synth and back to VMS. I just got the player to work with the MIDI mapper by quitting and restarting VMS, so the issue seems to be caused by something there. I'm using the latest version of both the player and VMS.

OS is Win10?
How much time has to pass to detect the problem?
The problem manifests itself also when you play Midi files continuously or only when the player is in idle/silent state?

1. Try Directsound as output mode.
2. If you have another soundcard (e.g. your video card's HDMI audio out) you should try it by selecting it as 'Output Device'.
3. Try to disable antivirus software and low power/power saving options that might affect audio devices.
4. Open the Visualization/Spectrum analyzer dialog (the dialog can be opened by pressing the topmost button on the right hand side of the player) and click 3 times in the dialog window to switch from the Channels view to Waveform and look at if some wave forms are rendered by Bass engine or not.
5. Also try to press recording and listen to the recorded wave file.

Depending on the results we can tell if the problem is really with the audio rendering of Bass libraries or only with the last step of Windows sending audio data to speakers. Then we can report the problem to Ian at un4seen.com.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2021-08-01, 23:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1242 of 1687, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't tell you how long it takes for the issue to manifest. All I know is that right now, it's working with the CS MIDI Mapper after restarting VMS and Bass MIDI through the player works fine right now too, on both Directsound and WASAPI. I will leave the player open for an hour, with no MIDI playing, and then try your tinkering suggestions to obtain further info.

Reply 1243 of 1687, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the issue to manifest again, after leaving my computer for about an hour and the player running, but not playing anything. I did the testing and MIDI playback is fine, it's just not outputting any audio to the chosen audio device, even though the visualization on both the MIDI mapper and the player showed that notes are being played and audio registering on their end, while recording of the session through the player yields no audio whatsoever. I confirmed that the audio device itself is fine and outputs audio from VLC and Windows sound testing, it's just somehow disconnected at the software level to the MIDI playback output, even though it's available and selected in the config. I exited and restarted VMS, thinking that would fix the problem, but it didn't and audio didn't render in the MIDI mapper mixer visualization, so I exited the player to restart it's processes and then everything worked again. The two pieces of software just don't seem to be staying in sync with one another and the audio device.

Reply 1244 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-08-08, 20:23:

I got the issue to manifest again, after leaving my computer for about an hour and the player running, but not playing anything. I did the testing and MIDI playback is fine, it's just not outputting any audio to the chosen audio device, even though the visualization on both the MIDI mapper and the player showed that notes are being played and audio registering on their end, while recording of the session through the player yields no audio whatsoever. I confirmed that the audio device itself is fine and outputs audio from VLC and Windows sound testing, it's just somehow disconnected at the software level to the MIDI playback output, even though it's available and selected in the config. I exited and restarted VMS, thinking that would fix the problem, but it didn't and audio didn't render in the MIDI mapper mixer visualization, so I exited the player to restart it's processes and then everything worked again. The two pieces of software just don't seem to be staying in sync with one another and the audio device.

Let's concentrate on direct Bass/Bassmidi output first for easier testing. Leave VMS alone for a while. You should use FSMP's own Bass/Bassmidi output and wait for the silent state to occur. After this as I suggested above:

4. Open the Visualization/Spectrum analyzer dialog (the dialog can be opened by pressing the topmost button on the right hand side of the player) and click 3 times in the dialog window to switch from the Channels view to Waveform and look at if some wave forms are rendered by Bass engine or not.
5. Also try to press recording and listen to the recorded wave file.

Your testing result of 'recording of the session through the player yields no audio whatsoever' is expected since when you use VMS as output then FSMP can only record what really can be heard (so if you can not hear VMS then the recording will be empty also). But if you use Bass/Bassmidi output directly with FSMP then FSMP records the internal rendering of Bass. So it would be a much more meaningful test.

@Edit:
Also when the silent state occurs try to switch from Directsound output to WASAPI or vice versa without closing FSMP. This in theory re-initializes Bass.

Reply 1245 of 1687, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one theory to add here, folks.
This may also be caused by any unrelated program that tries to take exclusive ownership of the audio device session.

For example, starting FL Studio in exclusive ASIO mode, or Foobar 2000 in exclusive WASAPI mode will steal the audio API connection from other programs that were sending to the audio stack in shared mode.

This happened to me many times with various software combinations, including FSMP and it's just the way OS implements handling audio API requests from software and prioritising things.

Make sure that nothing else tries to initiate an exclusive audio session at the time this bug occurs. If you're unsure what might be causing it, close as many user processes as you can (including background stuff that doesn't display anything GUI)

Reply 1246 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meowdori wrote on 2021-08-11, 11:07:
I have one theory to add here, folks. This may also be caused by any unrelated program that tries to take exclusive ownership of […]
Show full quote

I have one theory to add here, folks.
This may also be caused by any unrelated program that tries to take exclusive ownership of the audio device session.

For example, starting FL Studio in exclusive ASIO mode, or Foobar 2000 in exclusive WASAPI mode will steal the audio API connection from other programs that were sending to the audio stack in shared mode.

This happened to me many times with various software combinations, including FSMP and it's just the way OS implements handling audio API requests from software and prioritising things.

Make sure that nothing else tries to initiate an exclusive audio session at the time this bug occurs. If you're unsure what might be causing it, close as many user processes as you can (including background stuff that doesn't display anything GUI)

Thanks for your reply. Yes, these are good observations. I can replicate the above problem with any software that use ASIO4ALL. Interestingly SB Audigy2's ASIO driver does not cause such problems.

Reply 1247 of 1687, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-08-11, 15:38:

Interestingly SB Audigy2's ASIO driver does not cause such problems.

That would be because it's hardware accelerated like OpenAL. It's using one of the hardware voices on the main chip as a native ASIO buffer.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1249 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
micro wrote on 2021-08-16, 06:56:

Hi, will TR-808 ever work in Midiplayer? I tried it on but the UI is not displaying.

It is free to use at Roland Cloud till the end of August.

Hi,
I think it's fixed now (it was a Bass_VST problem). You can download version 6.1 for testing from here:
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_61_test.zip
It works with the x64 version natively but you can also use it with the x86 version of Midiplayer if you also install Jbridge. You do not have to make a plugin wrapper with Jbridge it's enough to install it.

Reply 1252 of 1687, by Xupack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I installed FSMP for the first time, with instructions from philscomputerlab youtube videos. I have this peculiar and annoying problem, that if I run for an example "sndfont.bat", that should change the preset to 4 and load settings for arachno soundfont, if I then try to play Doom, the music doesn't sound right at all unless I uncheck and recheck the "Use Bass" checkbox in the settings and then restart Doom. I'm running the FSMP on Linx 1010E, which has Intel Atom Z3735F, 2GB ram, and Windows 10 32-bit. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1253 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xupack wrote on 2021-09-29, 13:05:

Today I installed FSMP for the first time, with instructions from philscomputerlab youtube videos. I have this peculiar and annoying problem, that if I run for an example "sndfont.bat", that should change the preset to 4 and load settings for arachno soundfont, if I then try to play Doom, the music doesn't sound right at all unless I uncheck and recheck the "Use Bass" checkbox in the settings and then restart Doom. I'm running the FSMP on Linx 1010E, which has Intel Atom Z3735F, 2GB ram, and Windows 10 32-bit. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
'doesn't sound right at all ' can mean many things you should be more explicit/specific. Do you hear wrong instruments, wrong soundfont, distortion or what?
First you should try your presets on your Win10 with some test Midi files (without using Midi input) to figure out what is happening.
Also If you could attach your 'sndfont.bat' and the Preset folder inside FSMP's root folder (zipped) that could be useful.

Reply 1254 of 1687, by Xupack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-09-29, 14:57:
Hi, 'doesn't sound right at all ' can mean many things you should be more explicit/specific. Do you hear wrong instruments, wro […]
Show full quote

Hi,
'doesn't sound right at all ' can mean many things you should be more explicit/specific. Do you hear wrong instruments, wrong soundfont, distortion or what?
First you should try your presets on your Win10 with some test Midi files (without using Midi input) to figure out what is happening.
Also If you could attach your 'sndfont.bat' and the Preset folder inside FSMP's root folder (zipped) that could be useful.

I'll try to do some testing when I get home, but the batch files and presets are from bottom of this page: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/roland-midi- … project-20.html

Reply 1255 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xupack wrote on 2021-09-29, 15:19:
Hi, 'doesn't sound right at all ' can mean many things you should be more explicit/specific. Do you hear wrong instruments, wro […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I'll try to do some testing when I get home, but the batch files and presets are from bottom of this page: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/roland-midi- … project-20.html

And I think you have created the corresponding FSMP presets in Main manu-> Configuration Presets. Then these presets are stored in FSMP's Preset folder. You should attach them.
You can download the original Doom mus files from here. You can test with them directly in FSMP (mus files are supported).
http://www.vgmpf.com/Rips/Doom-DOS.zip

Reply 1256 of 1687, by Xupack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-09-29, 15:42:
And I think you have created the corresponding FSMP presets in Main manu-> Configuration Presets. Then these presets are stored […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi,

And I think you have created the corresponding FSMP presets in Main manu-> Configuration Presets. Then these presets are stored in FSMP's Preset folder. You should attach them.
You can download the original Doom mus files from here. You can test with them directly in FSMP (mus files are supported).

So I tested without using midi input and same problem occurs. Music plays, but there are no soundfont instruments, so at least MuntVsti is playing MT-32 I think. I attached the preset folder and took a screenshot of the starting point.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Filename
    Screenshot.png
    File size
    308.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Preset.zip
    File size
    3.07 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1257 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xupack wrote on 2021-09-29, 20:42:
And I think you have created the corresponding FSMP presets in Main manu-> Configuration Presets. Then these presets are stored […]
Show full quote

So I tested without using midi input and same problem occurs. Music plays, but there are no soundfont instruments, so at least MuntVsti is playing MT-32 I think. I attached the preset folder and took a screenshot of the starting point.

The problem is clear: As can be seen on your screenshot and also in Default_004.ini, you have 'Autoload at Startup' in checked state ( VSTiLoadatStartup=1 in your Default_004.ini file). This means that Munt VSTi starts automatically when your preset is loaded so Munt VSTi is the active Midi Out. To prevent this you should uncheck 'Autoload at Startup' in the VSTi dialog and save the settings to Default_004.ini.
I have attached the fixed ini file anyway:

Filename
Default_004.zip
File size
1.45 KiB
Downloads
53 downloads
File license
Public domain

@Edit:
BTW you should also change the sample rate. While 32000 Hz is ideal for Munt VSTi it is not for soundfonts. So you should set the sample rate to 44100 before saving your presets for soundfonts.
Also based on your screenshot it seems that your 'Midi In' is not enabled in Device Settings dialog so you will not be able to switch presets with the help of Phil's bat files this way. You have to enable Midi in and select the input port that represents the other end of your retro PC (e.g. Roland UM-1 or some other Midi cable). And of course you have to save your presets with properly selected Midi Input port and enabled Midi In.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2021-09-29, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1258 of 1687, by Xupack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-09-29, 21:53:
The problem is clear: As can be seen on your screenshot and also in Default_004.ini, you have 'Autoload at Startup' in checked […]
Show full quote
Xupack wrote on 2021-09-29, 20:42:

The problem is clear: As can be seen on your screenshot and also in Default_004.ini, you have 'Autoload at Startup' in checked state ( VSTiLoadatStartup=1 in your Default_004.ini file). This means that Munt VSTi starts automatically when your preset is loaded so Munt VSTi is the active Midi Out. To prevent this you should uncheck 'Autoload at Startup' in the VSTi dialog and save the settings to Default_004.ini.
I have attached the fixed ini file anyway:
Default_004.zip

Also based on your screenshot it seems that your 'Midi In' is not enabled in Device Settings dialog so you will not be able to switch presets with the help of Phil's bat files this way. You have to enable Midi in and select the Input port that represents the other end of your retro PC (e.g. Roland UM-1 or some other Midi cable). And of course you have to save your presets with properly selected Midi Input port and enabled Midi In.

I'm stupid, of course it doesn't work, because the MuntVsti overrides the soundfont 🤦. I thought this completely wrong. Also I unplugged my Roland UM-1, because I thought you said to test without. Anyway I'm off to bed now, I'll test this again tomorrow and report back to you.