VOGONS

Reply 340 of 1690, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No I don't 😀 Everything sounds just fine.
I just read a few threads, installed a few things, tick a few checkboxes and hope for the best. 😜

For the most part I'm not really sure of what I'm doing so I was just checking if I was missing something. Oh! Thank you for the Midi Player!

Reply 342 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MT-32 related;
Is it possible to add a function where dropping SYX file into FSMP window sends it?
There quite a few midi files for MT-32 that need a SYX before playback, and I don't want to add a 'one time' file specific SYX to FSMP SyxEx Folder.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 343 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@HunterZ :
Yes. Main menu->Instruments->Custom Patch Definitions, then select Roland_MT32.ins
Although it only works well as long as the MIDI file does not use custom patches. Many do.

@James-F:
I think it's possible to add drag and drop support for SysEx files, but it would be simpler to implement it in the Select/Send SySex dialog than in main window.
Edit:
1.Ok, I have added drag&drop support to Select/Send SySex dialog.
2.Ctrl+M shortcut added to Minimize. It works in all dialogs (VST, Lyrics, Debugger etc.) that belong to the given FSMP instance.
3. I have made and added SimpleGainVST to VST folder. It's a very simple poor man's gain control VST. Ther are much better plugins for this task but it is very small and can work as built-in default.
Some other bug fixes.
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_47_test.zip

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 344 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Falco.

Report;
1. Dragging any file (txt for example) into FSMP window (not playlist) will clear the playlist.
edit: I think it happened prior to this test build too.

2. Dragging SYX file into the "Custom SysEx" window will add ALL the SYX in the folder and send ALL the SYX files.
Moreover, dragging .MID (or .txt or any other file) files into the "Custom SysEx" window will send them as SysEx and a lot of noise will be heard. 🤣

3. If there is more than one SYX file inside a folder, FSMP "Custom SysEx" will send ALL of them!

Also, a super advanced Event Debugger or the practically useless "Midi text" are in the main window but not a Minimize button?
Not to sound needy or pushy, but why the resistance to a simple and extremely useful minimize button in the main window?

Reply 345 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi James,

1a. If you drag anything to the upper part of the player(virtual piano and knob controls area exclusive) then the playlist is cleared. There was a user request to play dragged files instantly without adding them to the existing playlist content. Since dragging now can handle multiple files and folders there is no way beforehand to determine if all files are valid (I have to iterate through all dragged files). Playable files are added, and the first starts to play. If you drag only one non-playable file bear the consequences 😀.
1b. If you do not want the playlist to be cleared but add the dragged files/folder to the end of the playlist drag the files/folder to the piano/control area.
1c. If you want to add the files to a specific position on the playlist drag them exactly there.

2a.

Dragging SYX file into the "Custom SysEx" window will add ALL the SYX in the folder and send ALL the SYX files.

I could not reproduce this.
2b.

Moreover, dragging .MID (or .txt or any other file) files into the "Custom SysEx" window will send them as SysEx and a lot of noise will be heard.

It was meant to be a feature so you do not have to rename non-syx extension sysex files to be used. But Ok, now it's changed only .syx extension is accepted.
3. There was a bug related to Custom SysEx after I have added drag&drop but I have corrected it before I have seen you post. So I hope it works now.
Also I have added syx file handling to the main window. Just like in the case of Send/Select dialog it only accepts 1 file with .syx extension.

Download location is the same.
Bye

Reply 346 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you very much Falco, all is well!

I should add that for proper MT-32 .MID file playback with a accompanying SYX, it is important that FSMP is set to "No SysEx", only then the playback is correct.
This makes sending a MT-32 Reset before a song quite complicated because the song requires the custom SYX before it.

Reply 347 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I have not experienced this complication. NX, GS, XG options also work for me. GM is an exception in case of MuntVsti since it deliberately activates the special 16 channel GM mode of MuntVsti.
Any reset SysEx messages that Munt/MT-32 do not understand are equivalent to 'No SysEx' type.
Actually the most clear solution is to set the reset type to an empty Custom Sysex (or 'F0F7') in the custom sysex dialog and select Custom Sysex as reset type . This way absolutely nothing meaningful default is sent between your sysex and the played MT-32 midi. MT32_Reset.syx of course is not an option. Also make sure to disable Main menu->Compatibility Settings-> Set missing Midi defaults (which means GM). Since MT-32 is so different I do not see how it could be handled more easily.
Edit:
If you have many custom syx files and you do not want to drag&drop them in order( Mt32_Reset.syx->Custom1.syx->Custom2.syx...), you can follow the classic way and embed them in a midi file and add it to the playlist.

Reply 348 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The intention is to Reset MT-32, apply custom SYX then play a MID, without resetting after the custom SYX.
The best solution is like you say to embed the SYX into the MID, but almost all MT-32 midi files come with separate SYX file so it is a LOT of extra work.

Reply 349 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I think I understand this.
What is the problem with this sequence?
1. Set the player's reset type to something MT-32/Munt does not handle (NX, GS, No SysEx or preferably an empty Custom Sysex type);
2. Drag & drop the required SysEx files into the Main or Select/Send dialog in this order: MT32_Reset.syx->Custom1.syx->Custom2.syx...
3. Play the file.

Reply 351 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How is this situation handled in other players?
I have an idea, but I don't know if it is the best:
Just like in case of custom real-time loaded soundfonts, you should rename the syx files to the same as the main midi file is. And you can use a postfix to determine the loading order.
Example from the documentation (replace .sf2 with .syx and bank number with order in your mind).

Place your midi and sf2 file in the same directory with the same name, or postfix your sf2 file with the required bank number
eg. mysong.mid mysong.sf2 loads the soundfont to bank 1, but mysong_008.sf2 loads the soundfont to bank 8.

Reply 352 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, there's a new test version with the above written naming system implemented. The naming scheme is not as strict as in case of soundfonts. You can use any postfix to define the loading order of syx files (or you can also omit the postfix). The implementation uses simple ascending ABC sort.

Ps:You can set the player's reset type to MT32_Reset, since the syx + midi file combo played after the reset sysex.

Download location is the same.

Reply 353 of 1690, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote:

@HunterZ :
Yes. Main menu->Instruments->Custom Patch Definitions, then select Roland_MT32.ins
Although it only works well as long as the MIDI file does not use custom patches. Many do.

Thanks, got it working!

Reply 354 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

Ok, there's a new test version with the above written naming system implemented.

It Works!
Thank you, you've made MT-32 midi playback a ton more comfortable.

The implementation uses simple ascending ABC sort.

Can you please elaborate more on how it chooses what first?

For example:
1Games.SYX
Game1.SYX
Game.MID

Also, there is definitely something wrong with a folder structure that looks like this:
I think it runs all the SYX files in that folder before playing the MID I clicked.

Folder MT32.jpg
Filename
Folder MT32.jpg
File size
126.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

FSMP sends all the SYX files in the folder when I add a MID file into the playlist.
If I have 20ms send delay, FSMP freezes for a minute.
I think FSMP should not run all the Folder-SYX when simply adding a MID, only when actually double-clicking the mid.

Opening FSMP with a MID file that has many SYX in its folder, freezes FSMP at startup because it sends all the SYX in the MID folder at startup, before I click anything.
I think it's best not to sent a Folder-SYX at startup.

I can also see that clicking Stop only sends the reset sysex, but not the Folder-SYX.
This is correct behavior, in case I want to hear the MID without the folder-syx without changing the SYX name.

Last edited by James-F on 2017-05-14, 18:42. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 355 of 1690, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

You can use any postfix to define the loading order of syx files (or you can also omit the postfix). The implementation uses simple ascending ABC sort.

Thank you for this neat feature. I tested it on several Quest Studios with a separate SysEx file, and it works great for me. No tedious manual preloading anymore!

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 356 of 1690, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Falcosoft
Have you looked at the difficulty involved in creating an Android version of FSMP? There doesn't appear to be a client right now for easily handling MIDI playback with pluggable synth engines (VST, LADSPA, LV2, etc). Something like FSMP would be really cool! It may be a huge undertaking, particularly if many of the toolkits used are not cross platform, but I thought I'd ask.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 357 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@James-F:

Can you please elaborate more on how it chooses what first? For example: 1Games.SYX Game1.SYX Game.MID […]
Show full quote

Can you please elaborate more on how it chooses what first?
For example:
1Games.SYX
Game1.SYX
Game.MID

1Games.SYX does not play since only post-fixes matter.
Here is the pattern:
'Filename without extension' + '*'.syx
The order would be:
Game.SYX
Game1.SYX
Game2.SYX

FSMP sends all the SYX files in the folder when I add a MID file into the playlist.

I don't think FSMP does this. You can check what syx files are played together with the midi file by looking at the last column of the playlist. Its header is now Sondfont/SysEx and lists the files that are associated with a midi file (both syx and soundfont).
The pattern is the same.

Opening FSMP with a MID file that has many SYX in its folder, freezes FSMP at startup because it sends all the SYX in the MID folder at startup

I cannot reproduce this. Further investigation is needed why you experience this.

I can also see that clicking Stop only sends the reset sysex, but not the Folder-SYX.

Just like in case of Reset SysEx messages the associated syx files are only played at load time. So they are also not sent when you repeat/rewind the file.

@Kaminari:
Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad it's working for you 😀

@gdjacobs:
Unfortunately FSMP is written at a rather low level. It uses mainly direct Win32 API calls without any abstraction and uses a good amount of assembly routines also.
When I started writing it Android did not even exist 😀. So the code is not portable at all.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-05-14, 20:34. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 358 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

James: could you send me a zipped version one of your problematic folders? (preferably with more files)
I have also missed this:

I think FSMP should not run all the Folder-SYX when simply adding a MID, only when actually double-clicking the mid.

On one hand FSMP does not send all syx files in the folder (that's for sure),on the other hand only loads the associated syx files when you load/double click the mid.
The only exception is start up since it loads the active/selected midi file of the playlist (and its associated soundfont/syx files).
So my only explanation for the strange issues of yours is very big and time consuming syx file(s) that are associated with the active/selected midi file.

@Edit:
Ahh, I have almost missed this gem.

Also, a super advanced Event Debugger or the practically useless "Midi text" are in the main window but not a Minimize button?

That was rude 😀. What's the problem with 'Midi Text' ? Even if you do not enjoy Karaoke/Lyrics it can be quite informative:

midi_text.jpg
Filename
midi_text.jpg
File size
90.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have uploaded a new test version with a gift for you.

Reply 359 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

Ahh, I have almost missed this gem.
That was rude 😀.

😅 Eh.. yes, sorry about the tone, desperate times call for desperate measures; yes, I know I greatly exaggerate this.
On the other hand, if you would place a click counter on the "Midi text" and "Minimize" button, your would get 0 vs 1000000000 clicks.

Falcosoft wrote:

I have uploaded a new test version with a gift for you.

Thank you so very much!
It is exactly where I've been dreaming it would be!

could you send me a zipped version one of your problematic folders?

Sent.

I'll do thorough testing in a few hours.