VOGONS

Reply 300 of 1699, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcosoft
Two questions )
What for in MUNT VSTi have reverse stereo option if this option always must be enabled ?
What for in MUNT VSTi have select mode work without opportunity fixin it in one of two ?

For example, if you will be use attachment , MUNT will be work as GM even where there should be a MT-32 mode.

Attachments

• Filename
    reseter.zip
    File size
    137.32 KiB
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 301 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What for in MUNT VSTi have reverse stereo option if this option always must be enabled ?

There is no such thing as a 'must be'. If someone wants to replicate the sound of the real MT-32 then reverse stereo SHOULD be disabled. These are choices. Why are multiple choices disturbing for you?

if you will be use attachment , MUNT will be work as GM even where there should be a MT-32 mode.

No, it should not. Reset.mid in your package sends a GM ON reset. That's why it switches to GM mode. If you want to reset it to MT-32 mode then send it a GM OFF or MT-32 reset sysex.
This behavior is documented here:
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

What for in MUNT VSTi have select mode work without opportunity fixin it in one of two ?

Because this offers the best flexibility. Manual GM/MT-32 mode switch is mainly for situations when the midi file to be played does not contain embedded information whether it is intended for GM or MT-32. So you can set it manually. But if a file (or player) sends a GM/MT-32 reset explicitly then it knows what mode it wants.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 302 of 1699, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Then you can make three options:
Auto - this as is in current version
Force MT-32 - this always MT-32 table
Force GM - this always emulate GM table.

There is no such thing as a 'must be'. If someone wants to replicate the sound of the real MT-32 then reverse stereo SHOULD be disabled. These are choices.

On real MT-32 Module Left channel paning = 127 and Right channel paning = 0 ?

I always thinked , what paning in GM/GS/XG and paning in MT-32 have same range for left and right channels.

Reply 304 of 1699, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcosoft
A difference MUNT VST and MUNT

Scali wrote:

The pan-parameter in the MT-32 is reversed compared to the General MIDI standard (MT-32 predates General MIDI).

Thank you , I understand.

Attachments

Reply 305 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be helpful if you write what difference I should listen to. The biggest differences I heard were missing instruments at about 20 sec. and too much reverb.
But unfortunately I cannot reproduce your issue. Make sure you set the maximum partials to 32 and reverb to 'Default' to get identical results to Munt driver.
Here is my test video:
https://youtu.be/N05yRkSWb-c
(Sorry for the hiss, I made the video on the PC at my working place. )

Reply 307 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the refresh rate of the display it's obvious that you use one of the biggest buffer size possible in SAVIHost. Why? Do you like half second latencies? You have to set your SAVIHost's buffer size to a more rational value. Even 960 samples (50 block/s) is enough to prevent this problem, but there is no reason to use larger buffer than 480 samples (100 block/s). A real-time synth experience requires 240 samples (200 block/s) at most. So my advice is to use a more rational buffer size in SAVIHost and/or use a more rational player (e.g. FSMP 😀 ).
Further info: This MT-32 midi file contains more than 20KB Sysex data. With your large buffer all the Sysex data come in 1 block and this can cause problems. In case of VSTi plugins the buffer size not only affects audio data/latency but also the frequency/amount of the incoming midi data.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-03-27, 17:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 309 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's what I said. It's an insane big buffer. Set the buffer size to e.g. 480 samples 100 b/s. You will get a more fluent experience( display/sound/latency).

Reply 311 of 1699, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for implementing the preset feature. Just tried it out, made a couple of MIDI files containing the SysEx messages and played them back with PX under DOS.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 312 of 1699, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If someone like to try out the feature then here's some premade .MID files with the SysEx messages. Under MS-DOS I used Bristlehog's PX player to play them back. The files were made with this program, but if you need more presets just change the value one of the preset files at offset 50 with a hex editor.

Edit: Also found a program for DOS that can send SysEx messages from raw files.
Edit 2: exchsyx might even be easier to use as you can type the SysEx messages in HEX on the command line.

Attachments

• Filename
    mdf40.zip
    File size
    29.04 KiB
    Downloads
    82 downloads
    File comment
    MIDI DATA FILER ver 4.0
    File license
  • Filename
    midiplayer_preset_sysex_mid_files.7z
    File size
    559 Bytes
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File license

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 313 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Kamerat,
Thanks for the test/info. Good to know it's working for you.

Reply 314 of 1699, by retrue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, my first post.
First, I love this midi player. It is really feature packed but at the same time, easy to use if you only want to listen to music. And I have fun playing with the VST plugins.
But I write to report a problem I had. I tried your preview of version 4.6 and I had the idea of renaming the folder as Midiplayer_x86_v46β. Yes, using the greek letter beta. Then, when I run midiplayer I got an error message saying "file not found". After acepting the message, the application won't start but will stay in memory. Clicking several times over MidiPlayer.exe, launching each time an instance of the application that will stay in memory, and after getting several and different error messages, Midiplayer finally launches. Then, in options, midi out, I can use "use midi mapper" but I cannot access "Use Bass", I get an error saying that bass.dll or bassmidi.dll are not found.
Everything work again when I close all the instances of midi player in the task manager and delete the greek beta letter β from the name of the directory.

Reply 315 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Yes, this problem can occur with the x86 version since it does not support unicode (but this way it can run even on Win9x). Opening files with unicode characters has been achieved by a trick to convert them to 8.3 DOS name, but this conversion does not work at start-up time. So if you would like to use unicode characters in path names, you have to use the x64 version.
Edit:
This is not true... corrected answer is in post:

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-03-30, 17:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 317 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Multi language support has been on my horizon for a long time, but there have always been more interesting tasks, and I have thought it will be added when the player is 'complete'. But of course there is no such state 😀.
Anyway I don't think I will add complete translations, just the ability to make and use translations. The rest would be a task for the community.
As for skins support I don't think I will add it. I don' like the bloat such subsystems/libraries add even for the ones (e.g. me) who do not care skins. Also they can cause hard to resolve visual glitches and other subtle problems.

Reply 318 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, this problem can occur with the x86 version since it does not support unicode

Correction:
I have just tested it and it seems I have not remembered but I have already implemented the 8.3 name workaround also at start-up time (in the x86 version). So your problem has to be something similar to a previous user. Read the topic from this post:
The point is that you have to enable ntfs 8.3 file name generation on the volume where your Midiplayer_x86_v46β folder is.
command: fsutil 8dot3name set x: 0 where 'x' is your volume. Also make sure you re-copy Midiplayer's folder to the volume again after you have executed the command.
The reason is the existing files do not have 8.3 file names after the command executed, only new ones will get it.
Edit:
It seems in new Windows versions the c: system volume's ntfs 8.3 file name generation is enabled by default, but on other volumes it is disabled by default.
So you can also solve this problem by copying FSMP's folder to volume c:.

Reply 319 of 1699, by retrue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just tried the "fsutil 8dot3name set" command and it works. As you have guessed I don't have Midi Player installed in C: but in D:.

About translations, with freeware software it is not so difficult to find volunteers to do them. This guy who makes Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth has an interesting system in his web to allow translations online.
About skins there is an intermediate option that is not so complicated to implement, the so called themes: just changing colours and maybe icons.
Thanks again.