VOGONS

First post, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RUDE 3.1.0 pre-release 10
---------------------
RUDE is a fork of Chocolate Doom 3.0.0 with some stuff from Crispy Doom.
The name is some kind of play on words and stands for Romero's Ultimate Doom Engine and
it's another tribute to John Romero. Easy to understand if you know my Romero's Heresy II
project for Heretic. 😀

It's a strong limit removing port aiming to fix game breaking bugs and prevent crashes while
remaining faithful to the original executables. There are a few new gameplay features too.
It's somewhere in the middle between Chocolate Doom and Crispy.
Please refer to the Chocolate Doom documentation.

New features:
-----------
* Widescreen support both zoomed view and real wide (bits from Russian Doom and Crispy).
* UI centering for widescreen (mostly taken from Crispy).
* Enable loading 16 bit RIFF wavs in .wads (SmileTheory).
* Doom 1.0 and 1.1 emulation (SmileTheory).
* Draw the player mugshot with max view.
* Supports SIGIL (even multiplayer), E1M4b and E1M8b (Crispy).
* Extended setup to support SIGIL and new features. Can warp to title.
* There's a new 'Unholy massacre' skill level (-skill 6). 😁 Double monsters, lesser health pickups,
zombiemen got a point blank attack, pistol with increased accuracy and damage, bumped minimum damage
dealt for punch and you can eat gore when very low on health.
* Replaced the Unholy Massacre title graphic. Thanks JNechaevsky!
* Doom: remove SPECHIT limit (Crispy).
* Doom: entirely remove INTERCEPTS limit (fixes all-ghosts bug).
* Heretic: entirely remove INTERCEPTS and SPECHIT limits (Crispy).
* Got rid of supersized PNGs (Crispy).
* Fixed backpacks from Marshmallow (idea and bits of code):
* Players now can exchange supplies (default backpack key is 'x', default stimpack key is 'c').
* Players drop backpacks with their inventory upon death, you can't drop another one until the
previous one has been picked up tough. They work even in SP.
* Players can only pick up their own backpacks in coop.
* Single player respawn.
* Keep keys and no DM items in Coop options (Marshmallow).
* Spawn double the monsters and take double damage options.
* Classic mode with only Doom 1 monsters for slaughterfest maps and lame players, regular shotgun
takes precedence.
* Slow ISA VGA simulation (Trident 9000i).
* New command line parameters for the above: backpack, nodmweapons, keepkeys, sprespawn, 2xmonsters,
xpain, nod2monsters, isa, halfammo.
* Extended demo format while keeping vanilla compatibility, use the -extended parameter to force it.
* Doom 1.2 demo support (SmileTheory).
* Alternative fix for the demo desync accessing menus bug: disable some menus while recording demos
instead of pausing the game at record and playback time.
* Drag and Drop support (Crispy).
* Resurrect cheat with IDDQD (Crispy, works differently here).
* Support for extended nodes (Crispy).
* Autorun key (Crispy).
* The startup console is back and with colored title, works from the Windows command line
(thanks JNechaevsky for hint on colors).
* Fake splitscreen.
* Added LCD gamma fix from Russian Doom using a darker palette by JNechaevsky.
* New 'One thousand deaths await thee' skill level for Heretic. You take double damage, monsters
got half hit points and half ammo for a more dynamic gameplay.
* Removed limits for Heretic (Crispy).
* Fixed boss level ending not triggered if every player is dead in multiplayer.
* Fixed Doom II monster exclusion bug.
* Fixed configuration not being saved for Heretic.
* Support for Ogg, FLAC and MP3 music lumps (Crispy).
* Don't load Boom maps by default, only with the -boom parameter.
* Fixed crash with invalid blockmap (DWHEEL.WAD).
* Many bugfixes from Crispy.

Have fun!

https://github.com/drfrag666/chocolate-doom/releases

The source is here: https://github.com/drfrag666/chocolate-doom/commits/master

Info here:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/101137- … late-doom-fork/

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-11-25, 22:12. Edited 8 times in total.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 1 of 7, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot to update this:

Ooops! I've found a serious problem, the long wall wobble fix introduced a lot of slime trails and i missed that one. No one reported it, it's fixed and savegames are compatible.
Also i've added the new skill level to the menu in the last position for compatibility with demos, it was pretty easy. But don't even try to play SIGIL on Unholy Massacre.
I forgot to mention i also added DM 3.0 from Crispy.

I've uploaded 2.4.0a with the slime trails fix among other things.

• Load DEHACKED lumps by default, but allow overriding. (use -nodehlump)
  • Allow DEH long strings and cheats, allow errors.
  • Allow BEX extended strings.
  • Managed to update the other 8 bit icon. (this was a mess)
  • Added new Doom skill level to menu. (UM)
  • Fix rendering glitches caused by segs that had their vertices moved (slime trails)
  • Heretic: Fix P_FindNextHighestFloor's behavior

https://github.com/drfrag666/chocolate-doom/releases

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 2 of 7, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've done a 2.5.0 pre-release and it's a major overhaul. There are some new cool gameplay features and many fixes. Read first post (i've copied the RUDE.TXT readme).
SIGIL is supported (from Crispy) but you need to load it manually. You can run the port from the command line or from setup to select the iwad or use drag and drop.
The setup tool is named config to prevent modern windows from requiring admin privileges since this is a MinGW build, i've fixed compilation with VS 2017 tough.
In theory it should still run with win98 but it's been a long time since last time i tried.
I haven't done much testing but seems everything is working. Before starting recording new exciting demos consider this is is a pre-release. I haven't tried connecting to the Chocolate Doom master server, no idea if it still works.
Thanks to the other source port authors, specially fraggle and fabian for their great work.
Edit: the default video driver is GDI, DirectX is smoother but doesn't always work.

https://github.com/drfrag666/chocolate-doom/r … 2.5.0-win32.zip

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 3 of 7, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oops, i really should have made more testing. 😦
UM was not meant to be that hard, i missed something and monsters were more aggresive so it was unplayable. I've also fixed the stuck monsters with double spawn, i didn't take into account previously double spawned monsters. Ouch!
I've reuploaded the pre-release. I've extended the backpack system to support incremental drops, that means now you can share plasma and you don't need rockets to drop a backpack. I've updated the documentation with more changes i forgot to mention.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 4 of 7, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've uploaded 2.5.0. Mainly fixes monsters stuck inside closed doors and doubled spidermasterminds with double spawn, now it's okay it seems.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 5 of 7, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I merged with Choco3. I've done a new pre-release to try widescreen. It's loosely based on Russian Doom implementation and fabian did the trick to support real widescreen.
It's a bit rough, here there's no resolution autodetection. Both zoomed view and real wide are implemented. With the full view (screenblocks 12) the mugshot is shown, also in 4:3 mode.
Of course Doom 1.0 and 1.1 emulation by Smiletheory is included.
I've changed ammo balance in Unholy Massacre, it was too hardcore but had a nice survival touch tough. Now ammo balance it's pretty tight but before it always was like pistol start or even more extreme and you had to think and know the levels very well. I've added the -halfammo parameter to play old demos but this one will not be stored in demos and it's only SP. Given the lack of feedback from those Doom Gods out there i decided to change it, but IMO it's a blast now.

Now as i've compiled with SDL 2.0.8 gamepads work again and setting a fake splitscreen game is very easy (it's more complicated in LZDoom but there you have viewport resizing). Four players should be doable on a decent dual core. You need two folders and run the game either using a shortcut or console (-server and -connect 127.0.0.1) or setup. Configure different controllers in setup. Networking at the same time should be possible.
I want to play online but i can't create the server without port forwarding, so if someone wants to accept the challenge for a UM coop run with backpacks and create it... 😀
I'm thinking about adding 8 player support but i don't know if it's worth and what i'd need exactly, besides new colors and using DM starts for coop. Seems there's not much interest anyway.
Read first post for details.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 6 of 7, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very cool, I'll try it out.

Is it still compatible with Windows 9x? I saw in at the beginning of the DoomWorld thread that you tested it on Win9x, and the zip has 'win32' in it, but does it still or does it need XP or higher?

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 7 of 7, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were a lot of updates, see first post. This is the latest release: https://github.com/drfrag666/RUDE/releases/tag/3.1.0pre10c
No, since i merged with Choco 3 (SDL2) XP is required. 2.5 versions worked with win98 but they were buggy.

RUDE (Doom)