Rank
l33t++

http://forum.connectix.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php … c;f=24;t=000266

Eric Traut Member Member # 159 […]
Show full quote

Eric Traut
Member # 159

posted November 01, 2002 12:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jesse -

We broken a number of DOS Extenders when we added our optimizations in VPC 5.0. Sorry about that. We fixed most of the problems in 5.1, but missed a minor one that affects QEMM 97 specifically. It has already been fixed and will be in the 5.2 release.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I always like more compatibility, I don't think there's much of a purpose for QEMM in VPC5, since VPC is fully compatible with UMBPCI. While I liked QEMM, it had definite downsides and I can't think of anything that QEMM could do, that UMBPCI could not do.

Reply 2 of 5, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht Sehr Gut said:

I can't think of anything that QEMM could do, that UMBPCI could not do.

Um. Enabling EMS?

I'm a devotee of UMBPCI too. It's the last DOS memory utility still under development. It's small and tidy. But it's only any good for XMS really, isn't it?

I suppose this thread is obscure enough for me to admit my hideous secret. My computer is a living museum of memory managers. All these shortcuts in my Start Menu are to different full DOS mode environments. Here are my expanded memory ones. These all load CD-ROM, mouse, sound and VESA refresh utilities. The figures in brackets are the free conventional memory scores. ("MC" is a product called Memory Commander. It cheats by using video memory and isn't much use for gaming at the upper end of its free conventional memory scores).

Doss8.jpg

What a saddo, eh? 😁

I've been PC gaming for long enough that DOS memory tweaking became a game in itself. I dreamt of owning QEMM ten years ago. Now I own QEMM and all its major competitors and run them side by side. 😜

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 3 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
procerus wrote:
Nicht Sehr Gut said: Um. Enabling EMS? […]
Show full quote

Nicht Sehr Gut said:

Um. Enabling EMS?

... But it's only any good for XMS really, isn't it?

Enabling EMS is hardly a big deal. You just enable EMM386.

EMM386 and UMBPCI are consistently stable and compatible. QEMM has a long history of "issues" with OS's due to the way it tinkers with memory. Once you hit Win98, QEMM becomes more trouble than it's worth (at least on the Windows side, not the DOS side). Also, if you increase the memory beyond 256MB you'll find QEMM usually ignores it.

The best advice I can give for QEMM is to use it when you need it and don't when you don't. I've also had my share of wild crashes with QEMM.

Now I own QEMM and all its major competitors and run them side by side.

Then where's Qualitas' Max8? Eh?

Reply 4 of 5, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht asked:

Then where's Qualitas' Max8? Eh?

Second one down. Below EMM386 and above Memory Commander. Max is actually my favourite. Its setup program and utilities are all that bit better than the others IMHO.

Point taken about UMBPCI combined with EMM386.

And, yes, I'd never use any of these inside Windows. I only ever run the DOS installers and never let these memory managers anywhere near my empty Windows config.sys and autoexec.bat files. 😀

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by procerus Second one down.

Oops. Thought you were just abbreviating "Maximum Memory" or something.

Max is actually my favourite.

Had heard it was less "abusive" than QEMM on memory.