VOGONS

Reply 160 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still looks very interesting... Why my proxy cannot log in to VOGONS? Also found that similar problem appear on VK.com. Can anyone help?

Tried to compare HTTP headers on login time on latest Chrome via direct connection and on Firefox 3.6 via WebOne 0.11, and don't see any visible difference. But VOGONS server still rejecting valid username and password.

Also tried ProxHTTPSproxy MII and Firefox 3.6, and the login is doing. But the ProxHttpsProxy does not make any traffic edits, so VOGONS looking ugly here.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 161 of 218, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Firefox-ers logs in no worries on my P2oommx system. Admittedly it just chugs along to achieve this, but like the Tortoise it gets there in the end..😉:

Attachments

• 20210629_111247.jpg
    Filename
    20210629_111247.jpg
    File size
    739.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 162 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've successfully installed macOS into a virtual machine, so now can debug WebOne in this OS.

Found that there is a little problem with running with user rights:

Cannot use log file /var/log/webone.log: Access to the path '/var/log/webone.log' is denied.

This can be fixed by two commands in Terminal:

sudo touch /var/log/webone.log
sudo chmod 666 /var/log/webone.log

Then log file will be accessible by WebOne. However, the proxy can work without log file too, but all messages will be shown only in Terminal.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 163 of 218, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For macOS, I think you need to disable SIP and the Gatekeeper?
Try changing the directory to /usr/local/var instead to work around permissions?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 164 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-07-23, 12:46:

For macOS, I think you need to disable SIP and the Gatekeeper?

No, simply added an exception via "Allow Anyway" button in "Security & Privacy" panel in System Preferences, and the developer verification error message disappear.

Bruninho wrote on 2021-07-23, 12:46:

Try changing the directory to /usr/local/var instead to work around permissions?

This path still requires sudo to access. Found a better place: ~/Library/Logs/.

I have set "AppendLogFile=/Users/atauenis/Library/Logs/webone.log" in configuration, and got both correct work and even real-time displaying of proxy log in system Console application. It's great, with its search box I'm can easily view messages for particular request by copying timestamp's beginning to the search box. This is what I've intended when making this log format.

So probably it will be included by default in nearest version of WebOne.

Reply 165 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 0.11.1 is ready.

This is what's new in it:

• Fixed log-in to VOGONS.org.
  • Fixed cookie loss on some web sites.
  • Fixed installing and uninstalling on Linux if there is no systemd and/or killall.
  • Fixed processing of ~/ (home directory) in file paths on Linux, macOS.
  • Fixed log file path on macOS. Now it is ~/Library/Logs/webone.log. This path does not require root rights.
  • Fixed build for macOS. The WebOne's binary in ZIP archive now is marked as executable.
  • Fixed protocol name (http/https) in Referrer header.
  • Pages from Internet Archive are now displaying without Archive.org's toolbar, so there will be less JavaScript errors in browsers from 1996-2012.
  • Archived copies of dead pages now can be returned as is, not as redirect to Archive.org if enable HideArchiveRedirect option.
  • Added opening of archived copy of Netscape Navigator online services depending on Netscape version (only through this browser).
  • Fixed IE4 Active Channel links editing (details).

Download page: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/tag/v0.11.1

Reply 166 of 218, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ATauenis wrote on 2021-10-03, 12:01:

Version 0.11.1 is ready.

Thanks so much for this - use this as a proxy server hosted on my pi very frequently for my retro win 98 pcs!

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 167 of 218, by bigwhoop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for creating this software! It's working great on my Raspberry Pi in parallel with RaSCSI, and allows me to browse the web on my old 68k and Power Macs. In particular, the jpeg re-compression is super helpful on old Macs, where high quality jpeg de-encoding is a major CPU bottleneck.

One thing that wasn't clear from the wiki documentation (unless I didn't look closely enough) -- is it possible to disable the audio/video decoding and remove the dependency on the ffmpeg library?
The ffmpeg library pulls in a HUGE amount of other dependencies on Raspbian, adding 700+ MB of libraries. I would love to be able to run WebOne in 'lean' mode without the overhead of ffmpeg on memory and storage constrained Raspberry Pi.
I'm not familiar with .NET and Mono, so apologies if this is an obvious question!

Reply 168 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bigwhoop wrote on 2021-11-04, 01:45:

One thing that wasn't clear from the wiki documentation (unless I didn't look closely enough) -- is it possible to disable the audio/video decoding and remove the dependency on the ffmpeg library?
The ffmpeg library pulls in a HUGE amount of other dependencies on Raspbian, adding 700+ MB of libraries. I would love to be able to run WebOne in 'lean' mode without the overhead of ffmpeg on memory and storage constrained Raspberry Pi.

Initially I've found ffmpeg on almost all my machines, even some versions of Ubuntu have it out-of-box AFAIR, so this is why I had marked ffmpeg as .deb package's dependency. However, WebOne can perfectly work without it (except that YouTube playback with "ViewTube with WebOne support" user script is using ffmpeg on server side). Seems that video converting is a rarely used feature, so keeping dependency to ffmpeg isn't a good thing.

I have been made updated packages without this dependency:
https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/d … linux-amd64.deb
https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/d … linux-armhf.deb

When these patched packages are installed, you may safely remove ffmpeg to free up SD card space.

Probably, next version of WebOne also will not depend on ffmpeg at installation time.

Reply 169 of 218, by bigwhoop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ATauenis wrote on 2021-11-04, 19:49:
I have been made updated packages without this dependency: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/d … linux-amd64.deb https […]
Show full quote

I have been made updated packages without this dependency:
https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/d … linux-amd64.deb
https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/d … linux-armhf.deb

When these patched packages are installed, you may safely remove ffmpeg to free up SD card space.

Probably, next version of WebOne also will not depend on ffmpeg at installation time.

Awesome, thank you so much for preparing these packages! This will help running WebOne more leanly on resource-constrained ARM devices. It now pulls in 158MB of packages rather than 775MB, which is a huge improvement.

Reply 170 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 0.11.2 is ready.

This is what's new in it:

• Added new architecture: Linux ARM64.
  • All Linux packages no longer depends on fat ffmpeg package. If you want to convert videos, the package should be installed manually.
  • Improved display of Web Archive errors on old browsers when ShortenArchiveErrors setting is enabled.
  • Fixed display of non-English messages on internal info/error pages.
  • Network errors now are displaying with some hints to solve them.

Download page: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/tag/v0.11.2

Reply 171 of 218, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry, i might be a bit out of loop, but wanted to ask, if WebOne proxy can do it, or if not, maybe could do it?

I would love to have some proxy, that has datetime setting of some kind and when i set it, let's say, 1997-01-01, it serves all the webpages from webarchive directly, that is latest version up to that datetime. This way, i could set up the proxy and then go to my retro machine and browse the (old) web just as if i've travelled back in time. 😀

Basically it would just proxy the content of webarchive with predefined datetime setting.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 172 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-01-26, 14:05:

Basically it would just proxy the content of webarchive with predefined datetime setting.

Yes, simply add a file named, say, "retrowww.conf" to the program directory (or to /etc/webone.conf.d/ if you're running Linux) with content below, and WebOne will be a gateway to Web Archive:

[Edit]
IgnoreUrl=web.archive.org
AddRedirect=http://web.archive.org/web/2000/%URL%

[Server]
HideArchiveRedirect=no
ShortenArchiveErrors=yes

Any timestamp can be used instead of "2000" here.

Reply 173 of 218, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ATauenis, love it! Thank you for this answer.
I'll definitely check that out at one point - i already have hayes modem emulation at 33.6k working over serial port and now i need to pipe that proxy in and i will have a full 90s experience!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 174 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-01-26, 14:57:

I'll definitely check that out at one point - i already have hayes modem emulation at 33.6k working over serial port and now i need to pipe that proxy in and i will have a full 90s experience!

/shudders in horror ...I still have nightmares of suing a 2400baud v2 modem nope as much as I love retro computers there are somethings I am eternally grateful that I never have to experience again .. dialup speeds are one of them.

Reply 175 of 218, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-26, 15:26:

/shudders in horror ...I still have nightmares of suing a 2400baud v2 modem nope as much as I love retro computers there are somethings I am eternally grateful that I never have to experience again .. dialup speeds are one of them.

To be honest I sometimes think dialup internet circa 2000 was faster than cable internet is with today's web.
Large file/video downloads being the exception of course.

Reply 176 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2022-01-27, 01:24:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-26, 15:26:

To be honest I sometimes think dialup internet circa 2000 was faster than cable internet is with today's web.
Large file/video downloads being the exception of course.

If you use an add blocker and turn off auto play videos/sound the web is as fast as its always been, without a blocker there is far to much trash slowing it down.

Reply 177 of 218, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UniPCemu has improved a bit since last post here. It now also supports PPP with optional PAP authentication methods (it's optional if not protected or required to be authenticated with text-based authentication before PPP packets are being transmitted to the server if PAP isn't used (text-based before PPP is an alternative to PAP if authentication is required. PAP is required if text-based isn't used. If PAP is used, it must match the credentials of the text-based login if that's used.)).

The single-user limit with regards to packets being exchanged seems to remain as in last post (perhaps due to the IP packets interfering with the local network (the host for example) and other clients?). Otherwise, it's running perfectly.
The issue with the IP packets on the host/network isn't necessarily a problem of the server itself, it could be the fault of the contents of the IP packets.

One nice thing that is supported with PPP is that it also supports IPX packets being transmitted and received over PPP now, allowing things like multiplayer Doom on Windows 9x using that protocol. Although Windows 9x has a weird thing in sending raw non-PPP packets for IPX packets when IPX/SPX is combined with TCP/IP on the same connection (which the server discards as incorrect PPP packets). When seperated (using either IPX/SPX or TCP/IP, but not both at the same time) it runs correctly.
Also, TCP/IP over PPP provides autoconfiguration over PPP instead of text-based communication before SLIP is started (CONNECTED is sent to the client).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 178 of 218, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you ATauenis for this. I'm setting up an OrangePi zero to act as NTP and DNS server on my network, will deffinitely add this to its roles! First test will be with Windows 3.11!

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org

Reply 179 of 218, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again.

First of all, if this is the wrong place to ask for help, kindly move this post to the appropriate area. Thank you.

Anyone had any luck installing on Armbian?

I'm trying, but I'm getting problem with dependencies that I'm not able to install.

user@host:~$ sudo apt install ./webone.0.11.2.linux-armhf.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'webone' instead of './webone.0.11.2.linux-armhf.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
webone : Depends: libssl1.1 but it is not installable or
libssl1.0.2 but it is not installable or
libssl1.0.1 but it is not installable or
libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable or
libssl0.9.8 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

When I try to install any of the missing packages, tells me it's not available.

user@host:~$ sudo apt install libssl1.1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package libssl1.1 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libssl1.1' has no installation candidate

I'm running Armbian 22.02.01

BOARD=orangepizero
BOARD_NAME="Orange Pi Zero"
BOARDFAMILY=sun8i
BUILD_REPOSITORY_URL=https://github.com/armbian/build
BUILD_REPOSITORY_COMMIT=92a1c729d-dirty
VERSION=22.02.1
LINUXFAMILY=sunxi
ARCH=arm
IMAGE_TYPE=stable
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image
BRANCH=current

I've checked the instructions, but I can't seem to be able to get past this.

Cheers!

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org