VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/

GlideXP is a project to use the Glide3 sources that were released for Linux, and to get them to compile under Windows. This is to allow me to find and fix or bypass the problems that are causing Glide and OpenGL applications to cause system crashes under Windows XP.

I believe that GlideXP is functional to the level that would warrant an experimental release. Glide3 applications can now be run without issue under Windows XP. OpenGL applications (including Windowed) also function correctly. A full list of changes is in a section below.

Some level of Glide2 support is also included. At this stage it is still a work in progress and as such isn't 100% compatible with all applications yet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Paul, no, you're right, that's what this project is. I think DosFreak was mentioning it more because of what this coder represents: someone who has both Glide and OpenGL (and Linux!) background, and has even debugged 3dfx's Glide source code. So perhaps he would be a worthwhile addition to the OpenGlide team, if he were interested in joining up.

His site is REALLY cool, too. Did you know that he's a team member of Exult, and owns a Voodoo5 6000? 😀
http://www.users.on.net/triforce/

I've debated about emailing this guy and telling him about the OpenGlide project, but:
1.) If he's into this stuff, he surely has heard of it by now.
2.) There's only a certain number of people who'll hear from someone about an online software project, and then look at, let alone join, the project.
3.) When you send enough emails like "hey, check out the GliDOS project" or "hey, check out VOGONS" you eventually feel like a pimp.

I was waiting for that sensation to subside, and perhaps build up a strong case to email him to look at it. I'll get to it one of these days...

Still, it's not as if OpenGlide needs more developers - Paul and Fabio are tremendous! 😀

But, you must acknowledge, Paul, that supporters of a freeware software project live in fear that eventually the programmer(s) will lose interest and leave the project in a state of incompletion. That's not a BIG problem, the project is freeware and open-source, but the thought goes: "If I can add fresh blood, then the current wave of progress won't stop." Or "the more, the merrier". 😀

For the record, I'm pretty sure I emailed or private-messaged you or Fabio about GlideXP before, and I KNOW I posted over at RetroGames.Com about it. I coulda sworn I mentioned it here, at VOGONS, too - but now I can't find the thread.

And one thing - in the future, after Glide3 support is in OpenGlide, one might want to add wrapping of GlideXP's custom Glide extensions. However, there's only one application that uses it so far, and he mentions it on his page, so it's not like there's a rush. But - GlideXP is being incorporated into more and more Voodoo3/4/5 drivers for Windows 2000/XP, so perhaps the number will increase in the future.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto