VOGONS

Doom Eternal Released

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought this yesterday since Bethesda included the Denuvo free executable with the game by accident. (I don't buy Denuvo games until it's officially removed)

When I downloaded it they had already pulled the executable so had to download that elsewhere. Unfortunately the game still requires a Bethesda login but it looks like Codex modified the Denuvo free executable to bypass the Bethesda login requirement so grab the Codex exe if you don't like that requirement.

So far I've just begun but I'm just not feeling it. The graphics are great, game runs good, no crashes but it seems kinds of corny and they've optimized the maps so much you really need to be the type of person that loves to replay over and over again to be able to go through them without issues on the harder difficulty settings. There are also situations where you won't know what to do unless you've already played the map before so you'll end up dying alot.

For some reason I'd rather be playing Dusk. I'll be playing Doom this weekend though so we'll see what I think after that.

/EDIT
Okay running into alot of pain in the ass platforming. Whomever had this idea needs to be shot in the face.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-03-21, 21:18. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 37, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Accidentally? Shit, this is like the 3rd or 4th time a Denuvo-free executable has accidentally shipped with a game. I swear one of the companies involved with these launches has a sabotuer.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 2 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2020-03-21, 13:46:

/EDIT
Okay running into alot of pain in the ass platforming. Whomever had this idea needs to be shot in the face.

after ROTT '13's hype running into the terrible level design issues, that edit speaks louder than the denuvo thing

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

really liking it, atmosphere and music/sound are very well made - for me it's better than the 2016 game

edit:
seems like doomguy is into retro builds 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

aBuKrTPl.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also Doom 64 as a preorder bonus. But it's not a very good port. It tries for authenticity supposedly (I believe it's more of a convenient excuse for a lack of features), but I can't remember texture filtering being this bad on a N64. I suppose it's good for purists who don't want to emulate the N64 version. But people who want a Doom 64 experience that actually looks and plays well on newer systems should go with Doom 64 Retribution.

Doom Eternal... Eh I'm only on the third level, but it seems a ridiculously safe sequel. If you liked Doom 2016, you'll likely like Doom Eternal. There's the same weird melee focus with glory kills, the same "arena" type combats that locks you in and spawns waves of monsters, the same upgrade systems that require you to hunt for all the secrets.

Reply 5 of 37, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a demo for this yet?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 6 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't play Doom 4 or this but from watching others play it on Twitch, I can safely say it's seriously not my thing at all.

Everything about this current "reboot" is just, wrong on so many fundamental levels to me.

I'll just stick with gzdoom mods and Doom 3.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 37, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like it. I liked the 2016 one as well. I don't play any modern games at all, Doom 2016 was the only reason for me to build a gaming system again in years, I'm glad I can run Eternal with the same budget hardware from 2017 (Pentium G4560 + RX 480)

While I'm not playing, I leave it running foldingathome.org to help with COVID-19 research (and other diseases)- would be cool to have a VOGONS team for this

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 8 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Done with this now. Pretty much what I expected. Basically an improved version of Doom 2016. I didn't think Doom 2016 was anything special and this isn't either, but it's worth playing.

It's depressing to see people playing on way too high difficulty levels complaining about the marauder though. He's one of the few things that keep the difficulty curve climbing slightly upward, which is how a difficulty curve is supposed to go. If you can't handle him, you're playing at a too high difficulty, lower it.

I guess people are too used to terribly balanced FPS/RPG games that start out hard and get easier the further you go in the game.

DracoNihil wrote on 2020-03-26, 13:07:

I can't play Doom 4 or this but from watching others play it on Twitch, I can safely say it's seriously not my thing at all.

Everything about this current "reboot" is just, wrong on so many fundamental levels to me.

I'll just stick with gzdoom mods and Doom 3.

With GZDoom mods, I hope you mean Doom 64 Retribution. I also hope you do not mean Brutal Doom.

Doom 64 is a great game even if the official port isn't very good. Everyone who likes Doom should play it in some form.

Reply 10 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-02, 08:42:

Are there really mechs in Doom Eternal? I watched some video reviewing so called mechs...but in all the gameplay videos/reviews I don't recall seeing them even once.

There are mechs as background scenery, but not playable (or enemy ones).

If you want mechs you should play Titanfall 2. Which I actually think is a better game.

Reply 11 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-02, 08:38:

[...]
Doom 64 is a great game even if the official port isn't very good. Everyone who likes Doom should play it in some form.

Interesting... never played it - what is the best way to experience it nowdays?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-04-02, 09:46:

[...]

Interesting... never played it - what is the best way to experience it nowdays?

Either Doom 64 Retribution:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retribution
Which has a ton more features, or Doom 64 on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148590/DOOM_64/
Which is a more authentic port.

Reply 13 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks, I'll go the retribution way - it seems it has some quality-of-life improvements

Reply 14 of 37, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-03-24, 10:33:

Also Doom 64 as a preorder bonus. But it's not a very good port. It tries for authenticity supposedly (I believe it's more of a convenient excuse for a lack of features), but I can't remember texture filtering being this bad on a N64. I suppose it's good for purists who don't want to emulate the N64 version. But people who want a Doom 64 experience that actually looks and plays well on newer systems should go with Doom 64 Retribution.

Doom Eternal... Eh I'm only on the third level, but it seems a ridiculously safe sequel. If you liked Doom 2016, you'll likely like Doom Eternal. There's the same weird melee focus with glory kills, the same "arena" type combats that locks you in and spawns waves of monsters, the same upgrade systems that require you to hunt for all the secrets.

The texture filtering is nearly identical to an actual N64, it emulates the 3-point filtering.
http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2014/12/n64-3 … ltering-in.html

Reply 15 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote on 2020-04-02, 11:10:

The texture filtering is nearly identical to an actual N64, it emulates the 3-point filtering.

That they've implemented that by itself doesn't mean every aspect of the texture filtering is accurate to the N64 though. Could be other technical details of the texture filtering they got wrong.

But as said I'm just going from memory. Maybe the texture filtering is correct and other aspects of the N64 that aren't emulated (low framerate/resolution, the blur filter the N64 has) made artifacts from the poor texture filtering more obvious. Or maybe my memory is just off.

At any rate, aiming to be accurate to the N64 isn't a good ideal to strive towards. If they wanted that they should've also gone with 320x240 and 30 FPS. But they decided to support higher resolutions (I don't believe 320x240 is even supported) and framerates and IMO should have also implemented proper texture filtering/resizing options to actually make those look good.

Reply 16 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With GZDoom mods, I hope you mean Doom 64 Retribution. I also hope you do not mean Brutal Doom.

Hahaha, no.

I mean things like Hellshots Golf, GMOTA, Doom Tournament, DoomReal, Ghoul's Forest 3, Combined_Arms, etc...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 17 of 37, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-02, 11:43:
That they've implemented that by itself doesn't mean every aspect of the texture filtering is accurate to the N64 though. Could […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote on 2020-04-02, 11:10:

That they've implemented that by itself doesn't mean every aspect of the texture filtering is accurate to the N64 though. Could be other technical details of the texture filtering they got wrong.

But as said I'm just going from memory. Maybe the texture filtering is correct and other aspects of the N64 that aren't emulated (low framerate/resolution, the blur filter the N64 has) made artifacts from the poor texture filtering more obvious. Or maybe my memory is just off.

At any rate, aiming to be accurate to the N64 isn't a good ideal to strive towards. If they wanted that they should've also gone with 320x240 and 30 FPS. But they decided to support higher resolutions (I don't believe 320x240 is even supported) and framerates and IMO should have also implemented proper texture filtering/resizing options to actually make those look good.

I think they just wanted visuals accurate to the original intention, as the textures were made around the N64's 3-point filtering.

Reply 18 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote on 2020-04-03, 12:56:

I think they just wanted visuals accurate to the original intention, as the textures were made around the N64's 3-point filtering.

If you care so much about artist intent, why aren't you complaining there's no 320x240 support? composite video emulation? N64 blur emulation? CRT filters? Also what's your source on textures being made around 3-point filtering?

The art is already far removed from how it was intended. I don't buy that as the reasoning for why they haven't implemented better texture filtering, especially since they have an option to disable the 3-point filtering.

It's really pretty simple. It's a bare minimum cash grab port. Extras cost money, so we're not getting them.

Reply 19 of 37, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-03-22, 15:09:

edit:
seems like doomguy is into retro builds 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣[/url]

I was confused when I saw references to something called the 'Doom Slayer'. Apparently, this isn't a monster but the new name of the doomguy.

Is this too much voodoo?