VOGONS

Reply 680 of 979, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:23:

FDoom's OPL3 music is definitely NOT mono (on SB Pro and SB 16) since v0.7

Also, which SB Pro compatible card are we talking about?

I have two speakers conected to sound card, but really i dont know how to know if a sound is mono or stereo, i just tested now, with the two speakers and only one, and for me sound same. I cant help without know what to find, any ideas are welcome

SB pro original here

Reply 681 of 979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
theelf wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:28:

I have two speakers conected to sound card, but really i dont know how to know if a sound is mono or stereo, i just tested now, with the two speakers and only one, and for me sound same. I cant help without know what to find, any ideas are welcome

SB pro original here

Start E1M1 and listen to the two speakers, you will notice the guitar on one kicks in several bars after the other; I believe the left channel should be the first, and right channel second. A headphone would be easier to verify. If your original SB Pro does not play Stereo then there is an issue with FDoom's Sound Blaster detection, and it thinks your card is a regular SB not Pro. Is it a Pr 1.0 (2xOPL2) or a 2.0 (1xOPL3)?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 682 of 979, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:31:

SB pro original here

Start E1M1 and listen to the two speakers, you will notice the guitar on one kicks in several bars after the other; I believe the left channel should be the first, and right channel second. A headphone would be easier to verify. If your original SB Pro does not play Stereo then there is an issue with FDoom's Sound Blaster detection, and it thinks your card is a regular SB not Pro. Is it a Pr 1.0 (2xOPL2) or a 2.0 (1xOPL3)?

Is a CT1600, one OPL3

Reply 683 of 979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
theelf wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:37:

SB pro original here

Is a CT1600, one OPL3

What is your SET BLASTER line like? Maybe you have it stated as T4 instead of T5 or something?

Reply 684 of 979, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:39:
theelf wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:37:

Is a CT1600, one OPL3

What is your SET BLASTER line like? Maybe you have it stated as T4 instead of T5 or something?

Hi,

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

Im testing real doom 1.9 and fastdoom, but i dont see any difference mono or stereo speaker, music is difficult anyways, i can hear a difference if a monster make a sound in left or right channel, but in music is much more difficult

Im looking for headphones and test again

Reply 685 of 979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Change your BLASTER type to T5 and try again? T4 is for SB Pro 1.0 (ie 2xOPL2).

Reply 686 of 979, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.
I decided to take a look at FastDoom. I was looking for answer about the possibility for a DOS port to support alpha-blending for invisible monsters (probably using VBE) with good enough performance (eg running on a 66Mhz Intel 80486) and I found FastDoom. With its many other advantages!
But I'm wondering about why the network was removed? Maybe @ViTi95 can answer. I mean what made DOOM successful was its ability to play with several people fighting together. Removing that is like cutting its legs. A command line argument switch could have been implemented to activate the network support or not. So I think if it wasn't done it's because there was no other choice. Probably because of the different video options (vsync, uncapped fps).
So I'm interested to know the true reason. Thanks 😀

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 687 of 979, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-20, 11:01:

Change your BLASTER type to T5 and try again? T4 is for SB Pro 1.0 (ie 2xOPL2).

Actually, T4 is the correct one for the SBPro2 and compatible clones with OPL3 chips. T2 is for the SBPro with dual OPL2 chips.

No ISA sound card from Creative ever used T5 at all.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 688 of 979, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darmok wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:03:

Today I installed a SBPro compatible sound card and decided to test it in Fdoom 0.9.3. As expected, the channels were reversed. I tried to run Fdoom -reverseStereo and did not find any difference, the channels are also reversed. Why is that?

Which card model is it? Also what configuration (BLASTER variable, FDSETUP conf) are you using?

Datadrainer wrote on 2023-01-20, 12:09:
Hi. I decided to take a look at FastDoom. I was looking for answer about the possibility for a DOS port to support alpha-blendin […]
Show full quote

Hi.
I decided to take a look at FastDoom. I was looking for answer about the possibility for a DOS port to support alpha-blending for invisible monsters (probably using VBE) with good enough performance (eg running on a 66Mhz Intel 80486) and I found FastDoom. With its many other advantages!
But I'm wondering about why the network was removed? Maybe @ViTi95 can answer. I mean what made DOOM successful was its ability to play with several people fighting together. Removing that is like cutting its legs. A command line argument switch could have been implemented to activate the network support or not. So I think if it wasn't done it's because there was no other choice. Probably because of the different video options (vsync, uncapped fps).

Network was removed because there is a good chunk of code in the Doom main loop that synchronizes the game between multiple players, even if only there is one player in the game. This takes some time from the cpu, specially hits when the CPU is slow (for example the 386SX). Also less code around the main loop makes the game run better on pc's with limited cache (for example the 486DLC only has 1kb of cache). Basically this change was made to make the game as responsive as possible on slow CPUs.

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 689 of 979, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ViTi95 wrote on 2023-01-20, 12:51:
Which card model is it? Also what configuration (BLASTER variable, FDSETUP conf) are you using? […]
Show full quote
Darmok wrote on 2023-01-20, 10:03:

Today I installed a SBPro compatible sound card and decided to test it in Fdoom 0.9.3. As expected, the channels were reversed. I tried to run Fdoom -reverseStereo and did not find any difference, the channels are also reversed. Why is that?

Which card model is it? Also what configuration (BLASTER variable, FDSETUP conf) are you using?

Hi. I decided to take a look at FastDoom. I was looking for answer about the possibility for a DOS port to support alpha-blendin […]
Show full quote

Hi.

Network was removed because there is a good chunk of code in the Doom main loop that synchronizes the game between multiple players, even if only there is one player in the game. This takes some time from the cpu, specially hits when the CPU is slow (for example the 386SX). Also less code around the main loop makes the game run better on pc's with limited cache (for example the 486DLC only has 1kb of cache). Basically this change was made to make the game as responsive as possible on slow CPUs.

The easiest way to detect the reverse of the channels is standing next to the opening door, turning to it with one or the other side.
My configuration is OPTI930, BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4. In fdsetup I choose Sound Blaster for midi and fx.

It's from fdoom.cfg:
monosound 0
snd_channels 8
snd_musicdevice 3
snd_sfxdevice 3
snd_mport -1
snd_sport -1

Reply 690 of 979, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed ABE64 again and found that if BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4, then the channels are reversed, and if BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T6 then the channels are distributed correctly. Therefore, the point is not in a specific sound card, but in the fdoom code.

Reply 691 of 979, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ViTi95 wrote on 2023-01-20, 12:51:
Show full quote

Hi.

Now I understand better. After all speed is the main goal of FastDoom (eg the name), networking and graphical improvements are not. Thank you for your answer @ViTi95 😁
I never looked at the DOOM source code in detail (I should) but knowing how John Carmack love to optimize its code, finding new optimization other than disabling or limiting things here and there and using alternative technologies to what the game originally supported seems a very tedious task. So you Sir and all the people who have worked onto optimized algorithms for DOOM forks that are targeting limited hardware have my respect!

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 692 of 979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Darmok wrote on 2023-01-21, 11:56:

I installed ABE64 again and found that if BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4, then the channels are reversed, and if BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T6 then the channels are distributed correctly. Therefore, the point is not in a specific sound card, but in the fdoom code.

This is expected behaviour though.

Reply 693 of 979, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-23, 06:11:

Unfortunately, the -reverseStereo parameter does not reverse the SFX channels. If possible, this option should be added.

Reply 694 of 979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Darmok wrote on 2023-01-23, 09:44:

Unfortunately, the -reverseStereo parameter does not reverse the SFX channels. If possible, this option should be added.

The AWE64 is not an SB Pro compatible sound card though, you should not run it as T4. If you run it as T6 as intended it works normally, I do not see the issue.

Reply 695 of 979, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-23, 10:43:
Darmok wrote on 2023-01-23, 09:44:

The AWE64 is not an SB Pro compatible sound card though, you should not run it as T4. If you run it as T6 as intended it works normally, I do not see the issue.

The downside is that when I installed a SBpro 2 compatible sound card (OPTI930) the SFX channels are reversed and there is no way to fix it.

Reply 696 of 979, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Again I tested with OPTI930 and got the same result as with AWE64: if BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4, then the SFX channels are reversed, and if BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T6 then the channels are distributed correctly. And so a way of correction was found, but along a crooked path.

Reply 697 of 979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is still working as intended. There is a bug (or feature, your pick of poison) in a genuine SB Pro that reverses the channels. In essence, when FDoom sees T4 it switches channels to accomodate a genuine SB Pro, which plays reversed on a compatible card. You need to see if your card's mixer has a way of reversing the channels. This is one of many pitfalls of using a non-genuine SB card. This is why many games have an option to reverse stereo in their audio setup, but not all. I guess Fdoom could benefint from a -reverseStereo switch or something to deal with this.

Reply 698 of 979, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-23, 12:13:

This is still working as intended. There is a bug (or feature, your pick of poison) in a genuine SB Pro that reverses the channels. In essence, when FDoom sees T4 it switches channels to accomodate a genuine SB Pro, which plays reversed on a compatible card. You need to see if your card's mixer has a way of reversing the channels. This is one of many pitfalls of using a non-genuine SB card. This is why many games have an option to reverse stereo in their audio setup, but not all. I guess Fdoom could benefint from a -reverseStereo switch or something to deal with this.

Therefore, I would like Viti95 to add the possibility of reversing channels through a parameter to the doom code. If the alternation of T4 - T6 reverses the channels, then in my opinion such a feature is quite simple to implement.

Reply 699 of 979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Darmok wrote on 2023-01-23, 12:23:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-23, 12:13:

Therefore, I would like Viti95 to add the possibility of reversing channels through a parameter to the doom code. If the alternation of T4 - T6 reverses the channels, then in my opinion such a feature is quite simple to implement.

Have you tried setting your SB Pro compatible card as T2? That will make it appear as a SB Pro 1.0, which AFAICR does not have the reversed channels issue.