VOGONS

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I think it qualifies as a release 😀

I just read over bethesda.net that they released modified versions of Doom and Doom II, that among many other things, natively render 16:9 (no chopping) and include modified titlescreen, intermission and ending screens. This is the link with the full text and changes: https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/C … ate-september-3 The steam version is already updated and contains both the original and the new version with separate launchers.

I'm not a big follower of source ports so maybe you guys all play ports that already have these enhancements and this release doesn't offer anything new, but hey it's official so I think it's worth mentioning.

Last edited by konc on 2020-09-07, 14:57. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-09-07, 14:20:

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I think it qualifies as a release 😀

I just read over bethesda.net that they released modified versions of Doom and Doom II, that among many other things, natively render 16:9 (no chopping) and include modified titlescreen, intermission and ending screens. This is the link with the full text and changes: https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/C … ate-september-3 The steam version is already updated and contains both the original and the new version with separate launchers.

I'm not a big follower of source ports so maybe you guys all play ports that already have these enhancements and this release doesn't offer anything new, but hey it's official so I think it's worth mentioning.

After all the time, effort and money that I put in to properly play it in 4:3 , they go and make a 16:9 version...!

Seriously, though, it is nice to see IP holders actually taking care of their older IP by adding in new functionality, as long as the original versions are still available . I may not be interested personally, but I am sure it will make some people very happy .

Reply 2 of 13, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well at least no more black bars if you are on 16:9. For remastered games there are usually a lot of requests for wide screen support. I remember seeing someone with ultrawide Doom (presumably on sourceport quite some time ago).

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 3 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
svfn wrote on 2020-09-07, 14:37:

Well at least no more black bars if you are on 16:9. For remastered games there are usually a lot of requests for wide screen support. I remember seeing someone with ultrawide Doom (presumably on sourceport quite some time ago).

Considering that new 4:3 monitors are pretty much no longer a thing, anybody into retro gaming better get used to having bars on the sides (eventually, monitors don't last forever) . Completely remastered games are a different beast altogether and having 16:9 capability in those practically goes without saying .

IMHO, In some cases, like Doom, the restricted horizontal viewing angle of the original is part of the experience (suspecting there might be enemies just out of view), so increasing that angle is not something I would want .

In the end, trying to get the "best" experience out of retro games when using modern hardware is largely subjective . Compromises nearly always need to be made and what is acceptable/appropriate varies between individuals . Choice is good .

Reply 4 of 13, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah it's nice they added the option to their remastered version, I have no doubt it will make some happy. It's just that once you add 16:9, there will be folks asking for 21:9 and on for future remasters.

I don't mind black bars personally, the original aspect ratio is always preferred (stretching just for full screen is blasphemous!).

Yeah sometimes less is more, playing Diablo 1 feels kinda zoomed in now but if you play a HD widescreen mod it takes away some of the claustrophobic feel of the game.

darry wrote on 2020-09-07, 14:51:
Considering that new 4:3 monitors are pretty much no longer a thing, anybody into retro gaming better get used to having bars on […]
Show full quote
svfn wrote on 2020-09-07, 14:37:

Considering that new 4:3 monitors are pretty much no longer a thing, anybody into retro gaming better get used to having bars on the sides (eventually, monitors don't last forever) . Completely remastered games are a different beast altogether and having 16:9 capability in those practically goes without saying .

IMHO, In some cases, like Doom, the restricted horizontal viewing angle of the original is part of the experience (suspecting there might be enemies just out of view), so increasing that angle is not something I would want .

In the end, trying to get the "best" experience out of retro games when using modern hardware is largely subjective . Compromises nearly always need to be made and what is acceptable/appropriate varies between individuals . Choice is good .

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 6 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are these only for modern storefront versions or are they compatible with the original DOS release?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-09, 08:04:

Are these only for modern storefront versions or are they compatible with the original DOS release?

No clue how they implemented the changes as I don't have the game from steam and the gog version doesn't (won't?) have the modified version to have a look at it.
A version that can run under dos and support widescreen resolutions would certainly be nice

Reply 8 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-09, 08:04:

It's a new engine. I doubt they ported it to DOS.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So has anyone actually tried it? Impressions?
I'm wondering if it has an out of the box internet deathmatch capability. I don't even know if these digital releases even offer network multiplayer, let alone through internet, so excuse the dumb question.

Reply 11 of 13, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-09-09, 09:31:

It's a new engine. I doubt they ported it to DOS.

From what I read, Bethesda built an engine and launcher using Unity - thats what's getting updated but apparently the launcher still gives you the option to run the original DOS version (no widescreen support).

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 12 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's more of a Nerve Software thing technically (thank god) and I don't blame them for having to use Unity if those mainstream target platforms are stingy about backend security/trust or so.

apsosig.png
long live PCem