VOGONS

PCem v17

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 146, by Siggy12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-07-26, 07:05:

Usually if a excellent good open source software gets a new maintainer/developer, the thing just "dies", it is just my observation 🙁

Well sometimes the developer really dies 🙁

Exactly!!
I hope Sarah to have a nice rest and take all the time she need to recover and then when she is ready to come back
on PCEm otherwise will be very difficoult to PCEm project to survive.

Reply 121 of 146, by maxwellb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before this thread is closed by moderation (and thank you moderators!), I'd like to also share my appreciation. I've probably always been into retro computing ever since I had a computer. Probably because I hardly ever throw away or delete anything, except by accident, flood, or don't-have-the-space-when-moving. But I'm also terrible at keeping track of things.

I digress. Thank you Sarah and community. I've only been getting back into DOS/Win9x revisiting in the last year, and even more recently been using PCem (until then VirtualBox and to a lesser extent QEMU). I look forward to participating in the community when the new maintainer announces, and am amazed at the legacy that's been created to date. Cheers.

Reply 122 of 146, by resle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote on 2021-07-01, 09:44:

PCem has now been taken over by a new maintainer. I'll let them step up and announce more concrete details when they're ready.

wondering if the above is still happening.
cheers,

r.

..so we ate rare animals, we spent the night eating rare animals..

Reply 123 of 146, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxwellb wrote on 2021-08-07, 14:14:

Before this thread is closed by moderation (and thank you moderators!), I'd like to also share my appreciation.

I would like to join with you in showing my appreciation and respect and thanking Sarah
for her dedication that she put into her projects over the years.
My best wishes and hopes for the future also.
Hopefully there comes a time when she can look back at these days
again without feeling sad and uncomfortable.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 128 of 146, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to Stiletto, he pointed me to ATI Rage video card emulation https://github.com/dingusdev/dingusppc/blob/m … deo/atirage.cpp
not sure on how it implemented but it can be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 129 of 146, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2021-11-07, 09:45:

Thanks to Stiletto, he pointed me to ATI Rage video card emulation https://github.com/dingusdev/dingusppc/blob/m … deo/atirage.cpp
not sure on how it implemented but it can be helpful.

Well, it's licensed GPLv3+ which means it cannot be integrated into PCem as is, because PCem is GPLv2, but it's a start.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 130 of 146, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VHD PSA

If you're on Windows, and you're using differencing VHDs and you live in a DST'ing time zone, uncheck "automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time" in your Windows time zone settings. This will restore access to the diff VHDs you have made before the DST change. This issue has been filed.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 131 of 146, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FYI, Pcem crashes on Manjaro Linux when Voodoo emulation is enabled. Crash happens after boot when the desktop is loading.

Looks like NULL pointer access in wx-thread.c function thread_wait_event:

Thread 26 "Main Thread" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffaa7fb640 (LWP 41458)]
0x0000555555a75b9c in thread_wait_event ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x0000555555a75b9c in thread_wait_event ()
#1 0x00005555559e18ce in voodoo_wait_for_render_thread_idle (voodoo=0x555558ba9880) at .../src/vid_voodoo_render.h:330
#2 0x00005555559e2030 in voodoo_readl (addr=4194304, p=0x555558ba9880) at vid_voodoo.c:181

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 132 of 146, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote on 2021-11-09, 15:31:
FYI, Pcem crashes on Manjaro Linux when Voodoo emulation is enabled. Crash happens after boot when the desktop is loading. […]
Show full quote

FYI, Pcem crashes on Manjaro Linux when Voodoo emulation is enabled. Crash happens after boot when the desktop is loading.

Looks like NULL pointer access in wx-thread.c function thread_wait_event:

Thread 26 "Main Thread" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffaa7fb640 (LWP 41458)]
0x0000555555a75b9c in thread_wait_event ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x0000555555a75b9c in thread_wait_event ()
#1 0x00005555559e18ce in voodoo_wait_for_render_thread_idle (voodoo=0x555558ba9880) at .../src/vid_voodoo_render.h:330
#2 0x00005555559e2030 in voodoo_readl (addr=4194304, p=0x555558ba9880) at vid_voodoo.c:181

Did anyone manage to fix this?

EDIT: The problem apparently is not just limited to Voodoo. I tried other 3D cards and they also CTD or crash the emulator alone.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 134 of 146, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Except it does not run on mac or linux, only crapindows. I did see some people wanting to compile for these platforms on project’s github, but I haven’t got a reply from them…

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 136 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2021-11-26, 12:46:

Except it does not run on mac or linux, only crapindows. I did see some people wanting to compile for these platforms on project’s github, but I haven’t got a reply from them…

I'm sure someone will compile it for Linux eventually. As for Mac, who gives a shit? Isn't the point of using a Mac being proud of doing with what Apple offers you because Apple knows best?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 137 of 146, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They're doing it for both as I can see from a PR on their github, so it's a matter of time to have it for all three platforms. Even if they don't, the linux port can easily be modded to run on Mac if the GUI is indeed based on WxWidgets. Same approach was used for PCem.

As for your unecessary and disrespectful commentary towards Apple/Mac, I won't give any attention. I am not that kind of fanboy and it was clearly an attempt to start another flame war. Bye.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 139 of 146, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote on 2021-12-04, 06:57:

BTW, the crash seems to happen only with the release build so a quick fix is to compile the debug build:
./configure --enable-debug

That sounds like a compiler problem. I haven't tried building PCem for Linux but what if you built it with -O2 instead of -O3? Or with Clang instead of GCC?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων