VOGONS

Open Source PC104 Soundcard

Topic actions

First post, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to build a mini DOS gaming PC (which has been discussed here : 486 MS-DOS gaming PC, this was a fun youtube video but short.) and frustrated by the cost and lack of availability of PC/104 soundcards, I decided to make my own.

The original revision had a few issues (incorrect gameport pinout, lack of EEPROM, +12v power requirement) but this revision works much better so I decided to release it.

IMG_20210126_152829548.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210126_152829548.jpg
File size
852.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210126_153604305.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210126_153604305.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It's based on the Crystal/Cirrus CS4237B, like the Orpheus. Unlike the Orpheus it's only designed to give very basic audio functionality and isn't audiophile grade by any means. The power supply filtering is garbage, there's no proper OPL or intelligent mode MPU, and the analog section is unbuffered with an iffy grounding scheme. The BOM could use some optimisation too (I have both 0603 and 1206 0.1uF caps for some reason). It does at least have a waveblaster port (which I've paired with a Dreamblaster S2 for my gaming PC).

Despite all this it runs all the games I want to run with acceptable levels of noise/hum/etc. It serves my use-case perfectly and I imagine other people will find it useful too.

Anyway, I've attached a zip file containing PCB gerbers, part list, schematics, and a BIN file to program to the required EEPROM. You'll likely need an EEPROM burner, although I believe there's a way to program the EEPROM on-card.

If you wanna build one I recommend getting PC104 connectors from aliexpress and CS4237s from utsource, everywhere else was more expensive.

PCB source files are in Altium Circuitmaker's cloud thingie - https://workspace.circuitmaker.com/Projects/D … 104-soundcard-3

Attachments

Reply 5 of 25, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice work 😀 did you use Output Stage from Datasheet ? (did not yet compare it..)

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 25, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2021-02-18, 11:04:

Nice work 😀 did you use Output Stage from Datasheet ? (did not yet compare it..)

Nah just a DC blocking cap. Some cheap CS4235 soundcards did it that way so I just copied that 😀

Reply 7 of 25, by LittleLarrySellers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@rasteri - thanks for sharing this amazing project and videos.

I just built one of these PC104 soundcards and got Doom going on first try with sound blaster mode via unisound tool! I am still trying to get general midi going with a DreamBlaster but otherwise working great.

Would you mind sharing the gerbers for the aluminum case sides? I tried to generate them from the circuitmaker even following PCBWay guide but I have no idea what I am doing and can't get valid ones to generate.

Reply 8 of 25, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LittleLarrySellers wrote on 2021-10-07, 02:49:

Would you mind sharing the gerbers for the aluminum case sides? I tried to generate them from the circuitmaker even following PCBWay guide but I have no idea what I am doing and can't get valid ones to generate.

Yeah Circuitmaker is totally broken since the 2.0 update, I'm in the process of switching back to EAGLE...

Here's the files I exported last time, they still have the problem where the "86" isn't displayed unfortunately

Attachments

• Filename
    frontenrear.zip
    File size
    28.11 KiB
    Downloads
    134 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 25, by Teti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Absolutely amazing project, do you mind if I do my own spin off for ISA? I believe eprom image is attached in your files?

www.martenelectric.cz | https://www.youtube.com/MartenElectric
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker

Reply 11 of 25, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Teti wrote on 2021-11-30, 20:54:

Absolutely amazing project, do you mind if I do my own spin off for ISA? I believe eprom image is attached in your files?

Sure, but you can get CS4237-based ISA cards that are much better than my design for practically free.

Reply 12 of 25, by Teti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2021-12-01, 01:30:
Teti wrote on 2021-11-30, 20:54:

Sure, but you can get CS4237-based ISA cards that are much better than my design for practically free.

I know, but but... to my defence I have to say, that your project was really inspiring and hey, it would be nice to carry on in your footsteps and perhaps make a card.
I will credit you as you obviously deserve. Do you have EPROM image somewhere? I've managed to score Microchip 24LC04B in SOP8 package which I'm very please about.

www.martenelectric.cz | https://www.youtube.com/MartenElectric
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker

Reply 13 of 25, by raerek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Presently the MFBW1V3216-000-R mentioned in the BOM is unavailable. As my electronics knowledge is kind of lowish, I'd really appreciate if someoune coould suggest an available replacement, even better a direct mouser or digikey link.

Reply 14 of 25, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
raerek wrote on 2022-11-04, 05:28:

Presently the MFBW1V3216-000-R mentioned in the BOM is unavailable. As my electronics knowledge is kind of lowish, I'd really appreciate if someoune coould suggest an available replacement, even better a direct mouser or digikey link.

I had a quick look into the BOM and the website also, but didn't see that product number (maybe I'm missing something there). It seems to be a ferrite bead, though - the only FB I am seeing in the BOM is a 600MHz one (BLM31PG601SN1L), which is unavailable on mouser also, but with a similar one still being available: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Murata-El … /BLM31PG601SH1L

Reply 15 of 25, by raerek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MJay99 wrote on 2022-11-04, 10:21:

I had a quick look into the BOM and the website also, but didn't see that product number (maybe I'm missing something there). It seems to be a ferrite bead, though - the only FB I am seeing in the BOM is a 600MHz one (BLM31PG601SN1L), which is unavailable on mouser also, but with a similar one still being available: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Murata-El … /BLM31PG601SH1L

Thank you for the answer, and regarding the product number, yes, my bad, I was looking at a slightly modified BOM, as the original only says "Ferrite Bead, I dunno the value". In the modified one I have the MFBW1V3216-000-R suggested for FB1.
MJay99, where have you seen the BLM31PG601SN1L ? I am simply unable to find it in this This time I am missing something I guess:)

Reply 16 of 25, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
raerek wrote on 2022-11-04, 16:51:

MJay99, where have you seen the BLM31PG601SN1L ? I am simply unable to find it in this This time I am missing something I guess:)

I can see it e.g. on the bottom of the project's website here: https://circuitmaker.com/Projects/Details/ras … 104-soundcard-3
I also checked the link again I posted before - seems it's not working anymore without the session I had before. You can just search for BLM31PG601SH1L on Mouser and it should show up.

It's also not a most critical part - it's recommended to put a ferrite bead in the datasheet, to suppress possible interference, but there's surely not gonna be magic smoke in case there'd just be a zero ohm R (e.g. for testing).

Reply 18 of 25, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah the datasheet just says "ferrite bead", I didn't do any of the calculations or testing to determine what the best value should be. To be honest I doubt it'll make much difference if you just short the pads with some solder...

Reply 19 of 25, by raerek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2022-11-05, 11:47:

Yeah the datasheet just says "ferrite bead", I didn't do any of the calculations or testing to determine what the best value should be. To be honest I doubt it'll make much difference if you just short the pads with some solder...

😀 You know I am beginning to learn that, but you see I am so firmly undereducated in the field of elecronincs, that it was kind of non-obvious.
Anyway, thank you, and as you happen to pass by, thank you for your excellent work on this soundcard.