VOGONS

Windows 11 has been released

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 252, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally I think the Workbench UI on the Amiga is inferior to the Atari ST GEM UI. Atari's iteration of GEM has a cleaner design and easier to navigate imho. Yeah, Amiga has slightly better graphics and sound, but is that really all you're after in life? More ear & eye candy? I personally think everyone should be after better UI design to get REAL work done.

Sorry, had to. I lived through the Amiga vs Atari ST BBS wars in the mid 80s. heh. Just like what you like and not worry what others think. Windows 7 still rulez!!! hehe

p.s. - i liked Vista.

Reply 141 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2021-10-10, 15:01:

Personally I think the Workbench UI on the Amiga is inferior to the Atari ST GEM UI. Atari's iteration of GEM has a cleaner design and easier to navigate imho. Yeah, Amiga has slightly better graphics and sound, but is that really all you're after in life? More ear & eye candy? I personally think everyone should be after better UI design to get REAL work done.

Sorry, had to. I lived through the Amiga vs Atari ST BBS wars in the mid 80s. heh. Just like what you like and not worry what others think. Windows 7 still rulez!!! hehe

p.s. - i liked Vista.

It’s a bit contradictory to say that and then say you liked Vista 👀

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 142 of 252, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-09, 07:09:

this thing is utterly terrible to customize. my God.

Well, they are copying macOS.

Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-09, 09:50:

EDIT: OneDrive crashed the Explorer when I tried to remove some folders from syncing. I gave up and removed OneDrive completely. The macOS version works so much better and stable.

It isn't. Don't trust OneDrive with important data, regardless of platform.

Reply 143 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-10-10, 15:29:

It isn't. Don't trust OneDrive with important data, regardless of platform.

Well, I have been using OneDrive since 2017 without a single problem on macOS and iOS. I was offered a free 1TB storage there so I went for it. Previously I was using DropBox free tier, had some hiccups but I switched to OneDrive because I needed more storage. I was going to pay for 50Gb on iCloud Drive when the OneDrive offer came in.

So far, so good. I just don’t like the constant app updates that appear on both my mac and iPhone nearly every two weeks.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 145 of 252, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For only about the year before 7 shipped, Vista was alright.... at least it made more sense to be running Vista on a modern to the time machine than XP which was by now bloated beyond recognition and competence of the underpinnings.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 146 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But XP Pro is just Windows 2000 Pro with a Toys’R’Us kindergarten theme. When you switch that to the classic 9x theme, it’s absolutely workable until this day. Under the hood they’re not THAT different.

Vista, however… 🙄

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 147 of 252, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-10, 14:39:

The “new” start menu is horrible because you can’t remove the “recommended” bullshit that appears below the pinned apps

😉

file.php?mode=view&id=121318

Attachments

• NoRecomended.png
    Filename
    NoRecomended.png
    File size
    206.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 150 of 252, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soggi wrote on 2021-10-04, 23:03:

Windows 11 doesn't bother me. I even don't have any motherboard and CPU which could run it. Except two Intel Boards with i3, LGA775 / socket AM2 stuff is the latest x86 hardware I have.

it runs on my i5 3320m with TPM 1.2 with 8gigs RAM

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 151 of 252, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-10-05, 14:19:

Windows 11 is really the best thing that could have happened.

...it'll finally make me switch to linux 😀

Yea easy for you to say, I have been on windows as most of my games are being held hostage by nvidia, and other companies who only do windows releases

I am I

Reply 152 of 252, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2021-10-10, 22:02:
soggi wrote on 2021-10-04, 23:03:

Windows 11 doesn't bother me. I even don't have any motherboard and CPU which could run it. Except two Intel Boards with i3, LGA775 / socket AM2 stuff is the latest x86 hardware I have.

it runs on my i5 3320m with TPM 1.2 with 8gigs RAM

Hm... Why do you quote me on that? My latest stuff is LGA775/AM2 as said. The two Intel boards with i3 are from e-waste and I didn't test them until now.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 153 of 252, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
twiz11 wrote on 2021-10-10, 22:26:

Yea easy for you to say, I have been on windows as most of my games are being held hostage by nvidia, and other companies who only do windows releases

The longer you wait the more stuck you will get.
Many platforms do their best to lure users in and tie them down, making a switch difficult (doesn't matter whether it's operating system, games, music, movies, etc.).

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 154 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-11, 00:25:

Many platforms do their best to lure users in and tie them down, making a switch difficult (doesn't matter whether it's operating system, games, music, movies, etc.).

You can always move to linux, and use KVM with GPU passthrough for Windows games.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 155 of 252, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-11, 01:05:
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-11, 00:25:

You can always move to linux, and use KVM with GPU passthrough for Windows games.

No, because then you still support (pay & keep using ) the setup which locked you down in the first place. What you want is moving to platform independent applications.

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 156 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-11, 01:15:

No, because then you still support (pay & keep using ) the setup which locked you down in the first place. What you want is moving to platform independent applications.

Well, then choose your poison... wisely.

BTW: Seven things we hate about Windows 11

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 157 of 252, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-11, 01:17:

Well, then choose your poison... wisely.

BTW: Seven things we hate about Windows 11

True that 😁

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 158 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2021-10-10, 16:05:
;) […]
Show full quote
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-10, 14:39:

The “new” start menu is horrible because you can’t remove the “recommended” bullshit that appears below the pinned apps

😉

file.php?mode=view&id=121318

How the hell did you do that?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 159 of 252, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's me in my teenage years.

Now I used whatever OS and tool gets the job done.