VOGONS

Reply 60 of 63, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-20, 23:14:
twiz11 wrote on 2022-04-20, 22:45:
elvis wrote on 2022-04-15, 08:05:

IPX is still on my to-do list for RetroNAS. But I've got some nagging networking stuff I want to get out the door first - a basic LAN segmenter with firewall and DHCP server, and some PPP over serial stuff.

IPX/SPX, my days of using Novell Netware have served me well, considering how I was able to get a LAN going in Age of Empires 2. Nowadays it seems IPX/SPX is relegated to DOSBox.

Still pretty good for network drives on real DOS machines - the client (including NIC driver) uses less conventional/upper memory than EtherDFS leaving more for games or other TSRs while also giving you an IPX (and TCP/IP) stack for free if you want to play LAN games. Don't know what performance is like but I doubt it would be worse than the alternatives (EtherDFS, SMB). Its also perhaps the only option for OS/2 unless you have any of the special IBM network add-on bits which, prior to Warp 4, were sold separately (1.x, 2.x) or only included in the special Connect edition (Warp 3). Though I doubt OS/2 networking is relevant to many people, especially on "old" versions.

I keep finding myself stuck in the past

I am I

Reply 61 of 63, by Sp33dFr34k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome project. I've spun up a Debian 11 LXC just for this. I am a bit stuck though, trying to mount my fileserver (CIFS) via /etc/fstab, but it just doesn't want to work, no error messages while mounting, but the mount isn't working. I'm doing the exact same thing in another VM (Ubuntu Server). Is this not supported or am I doing something wrong? Couldn't find any mention anywhere regarding this sort of setup.

//192.168.1.11/software/games /mnt/retronas cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlmv2,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=5min,vers=3.0 0 0

EDIT: NFS gives me an error when trying to link via cockpit: "mount.nfs: Operation not permitted"

Reply 62 of 63, by elvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sp33dFr34k wrote on 2022-04-21, 12:55:

//192.168.1.11/software/games /mnt/retronas cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlmv2,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=5min,vers=3.0 0 0

Test this on the command line with "mount -t cifs blah" first. That'll give you verbose output on what's not working before you throw it in fstab.

EDIT: NFS gives me an error when trying to link via cockpit: "mount.nfs: Operation not permitted"

Same here. Mount on the command line first to see what's going on. Throwing it straight into config files is time consuming because (a) you probably won't boot properly (pro tip: autofs is better than fstab for this reason), and (b) your logs will get buried in syslog/dmesg.

Try on the command line first to iron out your site-specific configs, then when that's working transfer it to boot time config files.

Reply 63 of 63, by Sp33dFr34k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elvis wrote on 2022-04-22, 00:14:
Test this on the command line with "mount -t cifs blah" first. That'll give you verbose output on what's not working before you […]
Show full quote

Test this on the command line with "mount -t cifs blah" first. That'll give you verbose output on what's not working before you throw it in fstab.

Same here. Mount on the command line first to see what's going on. Throwing it straight into config files is time consuming because (a) you probably won't boot properly (pro tip: autofs is better than fstab for this reason), and (b) your logs will get buried in syslog/dmesg.

Try on the command line first to iron out your site-specific configs, then when that's working transfer it to boot time config files.

Thanks, I figured it out. First off, I was using an unprivileged LXC, which wasn't helpful. Fixed that and got some errors when trying to mount from the command line. Fixed that, but still didn't automount via fstab. In the end it seems like it doesn't like noauto and systemd.automount, so I left those off. Weird, because it works fine in Ubuntu Server, which is a Debian derivative. Anyways, now I can continue checking your software out, thanks again 😀