VOGONS

Area 5150: New IBM PC+CGA demo

Topic actions

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know some of you have seen this already, but for those who haven't...

7 years after 8088 MPH, we finally managed to return to your favorite demo platform, put together a release, and compete at a live demo party again. Here's AREA 5150: a demo for the original IBM PC (4.77MHz 8088), CGA video (targeting RGBI TTL monitors this time), PC speaker, 570K+ free RAM.

This is the party version, released by CRTC+Hornet on 6 Aug. at Evoke 2022, voted 1st in the Alternative Demo compo.

area5150a.webp

With the time it took us, this was truly like giving birth to an elephant. But I suppose we did manage to teach it to tap- break-dance. 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is mind blowing 😮
Congratulations on yet another software marvel!
If these demos were created back in the day people would think they are fake 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 53, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-08-15, 03:04:

PCM over PC speaker in that last section?

Technically PWM, but yes, PC speaker only. Though it's a different engine than the mod player used in 8088 MPH - it's single channel w/one sample per scanline (15.7KHz sample rate, the same as the CRT's horizontal refresh frequency). Uses less CPU, so there are more cycles available for on-screen action.

That part was by far the most technically challenging one in the demo, since the music playback and the 'any-scanline-anywhere' video mode both require extreme precision. That's all reenigne's doing, and once we have a final version he'll hopefully elaborate on how it was done (and how it was debugged - there was custom hardware involved). 😉

Reply 4 of 53, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2022-08-15, 06:13:

This is mind blowing 😮
Congratulations on yet another software marvel!
If these demos were created back in the day people would think they are fake 🤣 🤣 🤣

Thanks! I tend to imagine the reactions of the original 5150 engineering team, horrified at such "Atari-like" blasphemies being performed on their respectable Business Machine. 😀

Reply 5 of 53, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jaw thoroughly dropped.

I'm guessing with all the cycle-counting shenanigans involved this will never run on anything but an original 5150 😢

The Marble Madness part should be turned into a full port 😀

Reply 6 of 53, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileR wrote on 2022-08-15, 09:18:
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-08-15, 03:04:

PCM over PC speaker in that last section?

Technically PWM, but yes, PC speaker only. Though it's a different engine than the mod player used in 8088 MPH - it's single channel w/one sample per scanline (15.7KHz sample rate, the same as the CRT's horizontal refresh frequency). Uses less CPU, so there are more cycles available for on-screen action.

That part was by far the most technically challenging one in the demo, since the music playback and the 'any-scanline-anywhere' video mode both require extreme precision. That's all reenigne's doing, and once we have a final version he'll hopefully elaborate on how it was done (and how it was debugged - there was custom hardware involved). 😉

Excellent, love hearing about details like this. Look forward to more later (hopefully)!

Reply 7 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😁!

Yes it breaks on PCem v17 but works for most of it, until the elephant melts and the bouncy 3d tetra and then it all goes to resolution-switch flicker hell trying to show the sole scanline being written constantly with no credits music. Thread about that here in hopes this thread doesn't get too derailed with emutalk because this is an amazing demo

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 53, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasteri wrote on 2022-08-15, 10:12:

I'm guessing with all the cycle-counting shenanigans involved this will never run on anything but an original 5150 😢

.. and with 8088 CPU only I guess. V20 will get no love? 😢

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 53, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm guessing 5150, 5155, 5160, and a bunch of perfect clones.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 10 of 53, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the ending screen, I can see the plants from the garden from the unforgettable litograph by M. C. Escher - also used as an example picture in PC Paintbrush, which could be run on an IBM 5150...

waterfal.png
Filename
waterfal.png
File size
18.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 11 of 53, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-08-15, 12:33:

😁!

Yes it breaks on PCem v17 but works for most of it, until the elephant melts and the bouncy 3d tetra and then it all goes to resolution-switch flicker hell trying to show the sole scanline being written constantly with no credits music. Thread about that here in hopes this thread doesn't get too derailed with emutalk because this is an amazing demo

Glad ya like it. PCem was in my toolset for dev-testing my own parts... not all the display tricks work 100% (and it won't catch sync issues for example), but it's been enough for quick verifications before moving things over to the real hardware. I'll check out that thread at some point, may be able to help out with some info.

Reply 12 of 53, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-15, 15:48:

.. and with 8088 CPU only I guess. V20 will get no love? 😢

There are relatively few parts that are timed directly by the CPU, and I can say I personally tried to avoid instructions that would break on V20 (at least SALC, anyway). 😉 But yeah, sections like the end credits won't run correctly on anything but a 5150/55/60 (some of the better non-corner-cutting clones might get lucky). The 5140 Convertible is known to have lots of issues throughout the demo, even with the external CGA add-on.

I should also point out that only IBM CGA boards are "officially" supported... cards with subtly-different CRTC models or even with different ROM charsets won't work as intended.

Reply 13 of 53, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2022-08-15, 18:17:

In the ending screen, I can see the plants from the garden from the unforgettable litograph by M. C. Escher - also used as an example picture in PC Paintbrush, which could be run on an IBM 5150...

waterfal.png

Ha, interesting! It's not a direct reference, not consciously at least, but Escher's work did inspire the original Marble Madness game so there's still a roundabout connection in a way...

Reply 14 of 53, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tandy 1000 rl/hd and EuroPC1 with Ram-Extension are incompatible for most parts of the demo. The "water" at the end looks so damn good.
Commodere A2088XT Bridgeboards will also be problematic even with a real CGA-card in it. Don't know what about a 1060sidecar, an old Amstrad or Commodore PC1, or AtariPC.
btw: using a real 1084 on my schneider euroPC or tandy 1000 does not make a difference to my normal setup with nec 71vm connected to an adapter. (same scenes work or do not work)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 15 of 53, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This demo is absolutely incredible, mind blowing! I guess most of it is based on the infamous Macrocom "ASCII from Hell" idea to get that 640x200 resolution and 16 colors.

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 16 of 53, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it's mostly based on that but with additional MC6845 mischief for things like the smooth 60Hz motion, split-screen modes, or "over-the-border" (overscan area) graphics. 😉