VOGONS

First post, by Shaner9er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello my name is Shane,

I found my way here via youtube channels and what not and decided maybe join this community and figured why not share what I'm working on.

Today I Bring you the Packard Bell Multimedia S606
I've read around the forum some and have seen the way you all feel about these.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=164838

But they have a special place in my heart as it was my first computer I played so many random games online with this guy and a lot of diablo and diablo 2

so the specs on this one are as follows

96mb of ram ill take it to 128 if I can find another 64mb module that works on these.

Pentium MMX 233

of course it had the 4gb hdd

s3 virge onboard video.

and well that's about it not a lot happening here but I plan to do some upgrades

I have a nvidia mx400 64mb pci card laying around probably overkill but I know it works.
my original system had a soundblaster awe64 gold but after looking at prices on those these days I don't think ill pick that up again so I might stick with its stock one or pick up something different
of course try and upgrade the ram if anyone has thoughts on that I'm open to them if I remember correctly the only 64mb ram modules that worked were either EDO or that special one it had and if you went with sdram you were stuck at 64mb total
also going to change out the hdd to and SD card using one of those adapters.
one thing I would love to do but these seem to be very hard to find at the moment is either do an evergreen spectra 400 or some powerleap equivalent I think it would be neat to play with some kind of AMD cpu in it.
That's really about it there is not a lot to well except mod the case am i right?

So one big thing I like to do is change out power supplies on these old machines seeing as the psu in here was only 204w and over 20 years old its time for it to go so enters the evga 400w for sure overkill but its one i had laying around that did not have a power switch on the back though... the case needs some modding

download/file.php?mode=view&id=164839
download/file.php?mode=view&id=164840
download/file.php?mode=view&id=164841

My Dremel bit broke but we have the mod started I also started the screw holes for an 80mm fan in the back as with and the GPU and some other things I imagine heat will get caught up inside.
I was also considering doing plexi on the side would more than likely be higher rather than in the lower portion which would actually show the GPU and CPU due to the gray siding at the bottom but it still might look cool to have some view inside on that new fan and the ram anyway this is my first post here sorry if I put it in the wrong spot I believe I'm in the right area but if anyone has any thoughts or know where I can get an evergreen spectra or a powerleap to put in this guy let me know and ill continue to post pictures as this progresses thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_181308.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230525_181308.jpg
    File size
    125.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20230525_161105.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230525_161105.jpg
    File size
    148.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20230525_161057.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230525_161057.jpg
    File size
    202.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    82.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Shaner9er on 2023-06-23, 14:44. Edited 1 time in total.

-Shaner9er

Reply 1 of 5, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome

Be aware that many Socket 7 boards have a cacheable limit of 64MB RAM so going beyond that may not provide the performance benefit you expect.

It's out of my range of competence but I read a lot about refurbishing an old power supply like that but it seems like you've already modified the case.

There's a tendency for vintage systems to multiply once you get into this so you might consider keeping this one stock if you're going to end up building another, maxed-out Super 7 or Socket 7 system anyway...

Reply 2 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using any AMD K6 CPU from the SS7 era could require a modded BIOS apart from the voltage adapter.

Another thing to be aware is that the motherboard has a BIOS limitation around the HDD capacity when upgrading, depending on the BIOS it could be 8.4 GB maximum.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 5, by Shaner9er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-05-26, 01:38:
Welcome […]
Show full quote

Welcome

Be aware that many Socket 7 boards have a cacheable limit of 64MB RAM so going beyond that may not provide the performance benefit you expect.

It's out of my range of competence but I read a lot about refurbishing an old power supply like that but it seems like you've already modified the case.

There's a tendency for vintage systems to multiply once you get into this so you might consider keeping this one stock if you're going to end up building another, maxed-out Super 7 or Socket 7 system anyway...

Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-05-26, 02:16:

Using any AMD K6 CPU from the SS7 era could require a modded BIOS apart from the voltage adapter.

Another thing to be aware is that the motherboard has a BIOS limitation around the HDD capacity when upgrading, depending on the BIOS it could be 8.4 GB maximum.

Thanks for the info when I looked up the info on this board it will support up to 32gb hdd and 128mb ram i also did find a modded bios for it which took the hdd space higher and of course unlocked and added support for the other processors.
I have refurbished a few power supplies in the past replace caps things like that overall I mainly replace them due to efficiency not only in terms of power usage as it can also be quicker and sometimes safer any I get rid of go to recycling.
yeah, I have a few older systems laying around I have a tendency to build them up and resell them as retro gaming machines dos/98/xp I have had the thought of building myself a to the max sort of system using super socket 7 and I'm sure I will eventually when I find the exact parts I want. with this system its more about fulfilling a childhood fantasy but I do understand and appreciate keeping a system like this stock which is why if I ever find another one in as good condition as this ones case is ill pick it up and save it.

-Shaner9er

Reply 4 of 5, by Shaner9er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I got the new Dremel bit in today and I think it came out alright not my best work but I'm still pleased and excited to see how this system turns out. Looks like I need a new CD drive though.

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_211110.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230527_211110.jpg
    File size
    176.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20230527_214846.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230527_214846.jpg
    File size
    178.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20230527_214856.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230527_214856.jpg
    File size
    164.49 KiB
    Views
    File license

-Shaner9er

Reply 5 of 5, by Shaner9er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I may have done a thing today.. don't worry the next post I make will be the final post on this just trying to tidy up some of the mods.

Attachments

• IMG_20230602_153238.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230602_153238.jpg
    File size
    420.79 KiB
    Views
    File license

-Shaner9er