VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my latest W98 system - see sig with V2 sli. Been having all kinds of lockups/freezes in games:

Quake2 The Reckoning: runs the startup scenes but try messing with video options it freezes just before starting a game. Vanilla Quake2
and Ground Zero run ok.

Janes WWII Fighters: In options menus the mouse becomes unresponsive - can't click on anything, weird. Once in game it seems ok via glide mode but looks pretty rough.

European Air War: Try switching to glide mode but it "black screens" before starting game but cntrl-alt-del recovers. D3D works ok.

Incoming, Rogue Squadron, MechWarrior3, NFS3-Hot Pursuit all work fine. So far all I've done to help things is move up from Dx7 to Dx8 and patch the games which seemed to help Quake2. Other things I'm looking into:

1. Reformat and start over with Dx6.
2. Try FastVoodoo drivers versus latest 3DFX ref.
3. Try latest drivers for Aureal Vortex2.
4. Ditch the Asus board and go with Intel SE440BX-2.

From what I can see, the earlier games cause the most problems so maybe that's why some of you have multiple iterations of W98 systems? If anyone can think of something else to try before starting from scratch please let me know, thanks!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 7, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote:
This is my latest W98 system - see sig with V2 sli. Been having all kinds of lockups/freezes in games: […]
Show full quote

This is my latest W98 system - see sig with V2 sli. Been having all kinds of lockups/freezes in games:

Quake2 The Reckoning: runs the startup scenes but try messing with video options it freezes just before starting a game. Vanilla Quake2
and Ground Zero run ok.

Janes WWII Fighters: In options menus the mouse becomes unresponsive - can't click on anything, weird. Once in game it seems ok via glide mode but looks pretty rough.

European Air War: Try switching to glide mode but it "black screens" before starting game but cntrl-alt-del recovers. D3D works ok.

Incoming, Rogue Squadron, MechWarrior3, NFS3-Hot Pursuit all work fine. So far all I've done to help things is move up from Dx7 to Dx8 and patch the games which seemed to help Quake2. Other things I'm looking into:

1. Reformat and start over with Dx6.
2. Try FastVoodoo drivers versus latest 3DFX ref.
3. Try latest drivers for Aureal Vortex2.
4. Ditch the Asus board and go with Intel SE440BX-2.

From what I can see, the earlier games cause the most problems so maybe that's why some of you have multiple iterations of W98 systems? If anyone can think of something else to try before starting from scratch please let me know, thanks!

Could the "forum administrator" please move this to old general hardware section? Sorry, I screwed up!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VooDoo2 cards require DirectX 7. Also, check for IRQ conflicts as well. I'm having the same issue with my VooDoo2 card locking the system up or restarts itself after logging into Windows 98SE that has DirectX 8a installed.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 4 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Reformat and start over with Dx6. - Wouldn't do that. Dx7 is required for Voodoo2 I guess..
2. Try FastVoodoo drivers versus latest 3DFX ref. - Definately do that
3. Try latest drivers for Aureal Vortex2. - I'm an exclusively SB guy, never had any experience with this card, so I have no idea
4. Ditch the Asus board and go with Intel SE440BX-2. - Why is that? Asus P3B's were legendary with their stability back in the days, as far as I can remember

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 7, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
1. Reformat and start over with Dx6. - Wouldn't do that. Dx7 is required for Voodoo2 I guess.. 2. Try FastVoodoo drivers versus […]
Show full quote

1. Reformat and start over with Dx6. - Wouldn't do that. Dx7 is required for Voodoo2 I guess..
3. Try latest drivers for Aureal Vortex2. - I'm an exclusively SB guy, never had any experience with this card, so I have no idea
4. Ditch the Asus board and go with Intel SE440BX-2. - Why is that? Asus P3B's were legendary with their stability back in the days, as far as I can remember

Will try Fastvoodoo drivers first before embarking on the sound card drivers. Sometimes you read about sound issues causing all kinds of hiccups.

Regarding the hardware on your sig, how do you like the Gigabyte board? Is it pretty reliable?

Reply 6 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote:
tayyare wrote:
1. Reformat and start over with Dx6. - Wouldn't do that. Dx7 is required for Voodoo2 I guess.. 2. Try FastVoodoo drivers versus […]
Show full quote

Will try Fastvoodoo drivers first before embarking on the sound card drivers. Sometimes you read about sound issues causing all kinds of hiccups.

Regarding the hardware on your sig, how do you like the Gigabyte board? Is it pretty reliable?

All my PIII builts to date were some sort of Gigabyte S370 boards. I'm always happy with them. Having still online support (drivers, manuals and BIOS updates) for them directly from Gigabyte site is always a plus.

This last one in my sig is an additional source of happiness with its native Tually support 🤣 I wish I had a spare. If something happens to it, I'll be back to coppermine 1000s 😵

I'm Asus guy in the heart though. Gigabyte is almost always the second choice compared to Asus, but for socket 370, I like Gigabyte's more.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 7, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
All my PIII builts to date were some sort of Gigabyte S370 boards. I'm always happy with them. Having still online support (driv […]
Show full quote
buckeye wrote:
tayyare wrote:
Show full quote

All my PIII builts to date were some sort of Gigabyte S370 boards. I'm always happy with them. Having still online support (drivers, manuals and BIOS updates) for them directly from Gigabyte site is always a plus.

This last one in my sig is an additional source of happiness with its native Tually support 🤣 I wish I had a spare. If something happens to it, I'll be back to coppermine 1000s 😵

I'm Asus guy in the heart though. Gigabyte is almost always the second choice compared to Asus, but for socket 370, I like Gigabyte's more.

These must be "slim pickens" hard to find - will keep an eye out for one for my first foray into socket 370.